squat problem

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

squat problem

Post by Ironman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:59 am

I want to hear what experiences those of you have had that are over 30 and squatting over 300 lbs. I expect to hear from Hoosegow and Kenny for sure.... and there should probably be others I would think.

Here's whats going on. I'm 34 now, so I'm far from old, but I'm not exactly a kid anymore.

My squat had gotten really bad after my last cut. I lose poundage on squats very rapidly and in extreme amounts. Like I can go 2 weeks without squatting and lose 25 to 50 pounds off my squat just like that. I can get it back in a few weeks though. It may have to do with a neurological problem I have, called an intention tremor. But I digress.

So I had been working on my squat and last week I got it back to my personal best of 275 for 2, with another in the tank. I did it 12 to 15 pounds lighter this time, I might add.

So today I was in the gym and I did 225, and I was feeling great. That was as easy as 225 ever felt. I did 5 and I felt like I had a lot more in me.

Then I did 250 for 3, it wasn't too bad,but my right knee hurt a little. So I go up to 275 and I do a half rep and the knee is holding out, a whole one and it starts hurting, another whole one and it hurts bad enough I decide to stop.

I opted not to push my luck, but I think I could have done 300 or maybe even 315 if it wasn't for my knee hurting. I think I would have totally blown it out if I had done any more though.

I dropped down to 135 and did 7 or 8 with no pain, so I don't think I did any real damage.

I wanted to see what other peoples experiences have been and what you have done about that. Is it time for knee wraps maybe?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:34 am

I have been fortunate in that I've never had any serious knee problems. I also never wear wraps.

I don't have a good answer for you, but just some thoughts:
1. Squats, for me, is one of the most variable of my lifts in terms what I can do. 3 weeks ago I did a set of 490 for five reps and felt great. This week, 470 for five sucked. My hips hurt, my back hurt, I felt weak. There is nor rhyme or reason behind why some days are good and some days are bad for me.

2. Squat form is something I always have to work on. I've tweaked my form, dropping weight, at least 10 times the last 6 years. I don't know if our bodies change as we get older or did I just get lazy and lose my form. One of the times I changed my form, it was due to some knee problems. I got some help and found out I was collapsing my right knee and I didn't even know it.

3. I did buy some squat briefs. It helps me lift without pain in my hips. Two months before I'll compete again, I'll shuck the briefs, drop the weight and hurt for a while. To relate this back to you knee wraps - give it a try.

Basically what I am saying is to examine your form before using wraps. Always remember - at 34 you aint ever going to be a sports star. No reason to push yourself to the point where you are injured permanently. If it hurts at 300, don't do 300. Back off and work slowly back up to it.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm just over thirty and on the cusp of squatting 300lbs, and i've had knee trouble in the past. The best thing i ever did was buy some neoprene knee supports, i also switched to a low bar and wider stance which helped take the stress of my knee, but my kness have never played me up again.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Can you pin-point exactly what in your knee hurts? That might help to guide you to a specific solution.

I'd second what Hoose said about checking form. You know what good form is, but maybe you should either have a trusted friend watch you squat, or do some videos to look at yourself.

Han

Post by Han » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 pm

This thread makes me feel old. Seems as though I'm in the "Over 30 Squatters Club".

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Han wrote:This thread makes me feel old. Seems as though I'm in the "Over 30 Squatters Club".
Yeah, yeah! How about the "Over 50 Squatters Club"?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 am

I could use a wider stance. I don't normally do that because I am usually focusing on the quads. However maybe a little wider might be easier on the knees.

The pain was coming from right under the knee cap. I did a set at 135 right after and felt no pain at all. I've walked on it and squatted without weight throughout the week and it still feels ok.

It only hurt when I was going heavy. It felt fine at 275 last week. This week 275 felt easier, as did every weight, but the knee hurt. When I did 225 it was easier than ever, so I thought I'd make it over 300 for sure.

I really don't have to squat that heavy though. I'm a bodybuilder, and one who is only planning on getting a little bigger at that.

I'll look into the wraps and try a wider stance. Any other ideas are always welcome.