bench press alternatives?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

owl
n00b
n00b
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:40 pm

bench press alternatives?

Post by owl » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Due to some medical issues my doctor says that I should not lift any heavy weight above my head. (has to do with my heart... details are kind of complicated to explain) This rules out bench and a few other things.

So far, I have been doing pushups and using the "chest press" machine where you sit down and push horizontally. Are there any better options that I should try?

thanks


Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:27 pm
Location: CA

Post by Gantz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:05 am

When you BP aren't you lying on a bench? How does that count as lifting weight above the head? Isn't it the same as doing push-ups but instead of pushing the ground, you're pushing some other weight.

User avatar
ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1122
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:44 am

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:27 am

Chest press is a very similar exercise to bench and the load will not be above you (and it is above your head (in the frame of reference of the gravity field)) in bench press. I would check with the doc and make sure he OKs chest press though. Your head is pretty elevated, so no head rushes, but the exertion is very similar, so wonder if you will be getting same heart strain.

owl
n00b
n00b
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Post by owl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:36 am

Gantz wrote:When you BP aren't you lying on a bench? How does that count as lifting weight above the head? Isn't it the same as doing push-ups but instead of pushing the ground, you're pushing some other weight.
I don't completely understand it either, but the doc said to avoid things above the head in any way, including lying down. They specifically mentioned bench as an example of what not to do.

ApolytonGP wrote:Chest press is a very similar exercise to bench and the load will not be above you (and it is above your head (in the frame of reference of the gravity field)) in bench press. I would check with the doc and make sure he OKs chest press though. Your head is pretty elevated, so no head rushes, but the exertion is very similar, so wonder if you will be getting same heart strain.
I have talked to the doc and done some research on this already and... its complicated. The simple answer is that chest press and anything below the head is okay.

User avatar
TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
Posts: 3129
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:04 am
Location: Va Beach, Va

Post by TimD » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:48 am

P bar dips are a good alternative. The old timers used to use them almost exclusively, rather than benching. Strap on wieight as required.
Tim


User avatar
ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1122
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:44 am

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:27 am

Plus it's safer if you are in prison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainEAmQ1PkY (1:40)

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:15 am

I'd go with dips like Tim suggested

xshawnxearthx
Member
Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:08 am

What about pushups?

+3 on dips!

evaino
n00b
n00b
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Post by evaino » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:04 am

Pushups are great, and you can weight them with a vest if you have access. If that gets too easy, go for one foot, or elevate your feet (if that's allowed?).

I like single-arm standing cable pushes as well. Good arm/chest exercise with an amazing anti-rotational core element. You'll find that you can do much less that way but it really links in your entire body. You can also do 2 arm versions that still have the functional benefit with more chest/arm but less core. Both are great.

Depending on your goals, I'd be less concerned about doing too much from a pushing perspective as most people are unbalanced in favour of pushes over pulls. While you're banned from bench, use this as an opportunity to do more pullups.

Elsbeth

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by frogbyte » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Why would pullups possibly be allowed if bench isn't? In both cases your arms are above your head - and in the case of a lat machine, that's where the "weight" is. This whole thing makes no sense.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 pm

frogbyte wrote:Why would pullups possibly be allowed if bench isn't? In both cases your arms are above your head - and in the case of a lat machine, that's where the "weight" is. This whole thing makes no sense.
The first thing that pops into my head is, if it's a question of strain and failure, it's not that bad to fail with a pulldown or pullup. A dropped bench press, on the other hand...

wilburburns
Member
Member
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Kentucky, USA
Contact:

Post by wilburburns » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:14 pm

pdellorto wrote:
frogbyte wrote:Why would pullups possibly be allowed if bench isn't? In both cases your arms are above your head - and in the case of a lat machine, that's where the "weight" is. This whole thing makes no sense.
The first thing that pops into my head is, if it's a question of strain and failure, it's not that bad to fail with a pulldown or pullup. A dropped bench press, on the other hand...
This is the same as I was thinking.

Cliff

User avatar
TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
Posts: 3129
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:04 am
Location: Va Beach, Va

Post by TimD » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Frog brought up a good point.Might want to check with the physician/physio for your problem. Could possibly be that the downward motion of the pullup might aggravate the shoulders. I know from personal experience, that was the exact case with myself. I had to really slow down and control the negative or something would "tweak" on the pull/chinup, up at the top of the shoulderclose to where the clavicles tie in.
Tim

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 am
Location: Seattle

Post by jml » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:20 pm

but it has to do with his heart

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by frogbyte » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:39 pm

If the concern is that you'll suddenly black out and hurt yourself, I'd think that being up in the air on a chinup is more dangerous than on your back doing DB bench press, where the DBs never get anywhere near your head really.


Post Reply