Deadlift Sets & Reps for Mass

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:50 am

Han wrote:5 sets of 10 :eek:

I would need a paramedic on hand with a defibrilator.
It's not so bad. Just start really, really light. Jim Wendler recommends in the manual that you start as light as 30-40%. I started my 5 x 10 trap bar deadlifts at 140, which is bar + 45s on each end. That was hard, but eventually I was doing 5 x 10 x 200 with fat grips. You just get used to the volume.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:59 am

KPj wrote:I really don't know why your form would suffer after "3 sets". I would re phrase this to, "I use too much weight after 3 sets".... :wink:

Sorry in advance as I break into a little rant....

It's just something I hear a lot. On DL's, don't do more than X sets, or X reps, because it's so demanding that your form will break down, etc etc. Why not just use a weight that you can do said sets and reps with good form?
I think that's a good point, but I still don't think I can do near the volume of DL, given an equivalent percentage of my 1RM, as I can on any other lift. Squat is probably the closest comparison, given the amount of muscle mass involved. Since I'm doing 5/3/1, I do the same number of working sets and reps for both lifts, but the DLs kill me a lot worse then the squats, even when I'm grinding out a new PR on squats. With squats, I do a lot more warm-up, and often end up doing more than 100 reps in a w/o. With DL, I warm up much more conservatively (mostly with singles) and rarely do more than about 70 reps. On squat day I'm still good for 1 or 2 more accessory lifts. On DL day, I should really just go home and whine. Before 5/3/1 if I squatted 2 days for every day I DLed, recovery worked out pretty well.

Han wrote:5 sets of 10 :eek:

I would need a paramedic on hand with a defibrilator.
Keep it light on the volume sets! I do about 40% of my 1RM. It is amazing how much lighter that feels AFTER the working sets as compared to the same weight during warm-up! The first couple of times I did this I was sore before the day was over, and went to bed early, and was sore for 2 or 3 days after the w/o. Now it comes easier, and I recover faster.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:21 am

I would agree with that. I don't think anything takes it out me like deadlifts do. Me and my main training partner were actually talking about this about 2 weeks ago, after deadlifting for about 5 hours (ok, about 1 hour).

First you feel like you just want to collapse on the floor and lay there for a decade or so. We always walk over to a supermarket across from the gym to get our litre of milk and, this brings on a monster appetite. Always worse with deadlifts. After drinking the 810 calories of Saturated fatty goodness, we feel amazing. Literally amazing. Like I'm on some kind of drug. I feel like I could tear down walls with my bare hands.

As soon as I get home and sit down, though, I then just feel like I got hit by a truck. Getting off the couch after this point is almost as difficult as the workout in itself....

But that's why we all love them :smile:

KPj

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Keep it light on the volume sets! I do about 40% of my 1RM. It is amazing how much lighter that feels AFTER the working sets as compared to the same weight during warm-up!
This is excellent advice.

Deadlifts can be used for higher reps. I do deadlifts for strength-endurance as much as strength when I do 5/3/1. Stuart McRoberts used to extol the virtues of 20-rep trap bar deadlifts in the Super Squats/Widowmaker squats vein, and 20 reps isn't exactly low rep.

Starting light - too damn light, even - is key here. You can always increase it. I was pulling 5 x 10 x 140 (my trap bar + one plate each side) and yeah, it felt extremely light. That's my lowest warmup weight, yet I used it as my 5 x 10 for Boring But Big. It still made my legs bigger and increased my lifting endurance. I was able to adapt quickly to higher loads (relatively speaking) but I kept the progression slow. You don't want to jump right into something heavy, because you're aiming for high reps. Prioritize the reps and work the weight up as you get used to the volume. You wouldn't load up 50% of your 1RM for singles, so why load up 80%+ of your 1RM for 10s, just for example.

Also, like KPj said before, you have to think "technical failure." You pull until actual failure and you're setting yourself for a world of hurt, because whatever muscle gives out first is not going to be able to support the weight placed on it. Neither will the others when that one gives out. Better to leave a few reps in the tank.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:34 pm

Generally I use Standard (convensional) Deadlifts for heavy (low rep) stuff and Straight-leg Deadlifts for my lighter (higher-rep) workouts.