Deadlifts - pulled lower back 2nd time in a row >.<

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Deadlifts - pulled lower back 2nd time in a row >.<

Post by Ricky » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Maybe I'm just trying to do this with too much weight at first but here's the story...

Little over a week ago started deadlifting. I never really had that as part of my routine before except for something I'd do only once in a blue moon. So I tried it light and figured I could do more. I was doing about 10 reps at 200 and I pulled my lower back on the left at the end of the movement.

So I waited for it to heal, pissed off that I left the workout soon. Today I did it at 180 and at about the 3rd set I felt the pull again, so I stopped. I was really trying to use my legs at the end of the movement so I wouldn't hyperextend my back too much but admittedly it wasn't the most controlled movement. It was right at the end that I pulled it again so maybe I wasn't doing it right.

Needless to say I'm quite annoyed and the next back workout once I heal will not include deadlifts. Still, obviously some part of me is weak if this keeps happening so the workout after I'll include them again, probably at the end. You think it's best to drop it *even more* say to 160? Is this normal if I'm just not used to doing them?

I've probably answered my own question sorta but any feedback is appreciated.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Deadlifts aren't designed for high reps, really.

Also, without seeing your form, it'd be difficult to tell you what you're doing wrong.

You should never be hyperextending your back at the top of the deadlift, it's something lots of people do and it's horrible for your lower back/spinal column.

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:53 pm

NightFaLL wrote:Deadlifts aren't designed for high reps, really.

Also, without seeing your form, it'd be difficult to tell you what you're doing wrong.

You should never be hyperextending your back at the top of the deadlift, it's something lots of people do and it's horrible for your lower back/spinal column.
I meant hyperextending at the end of the movement... I might have terminology mixed up but basically I have a feeling I'm not using my legs enough at the end of the movement and bringing my back too far down, but I dunno.

I think it's toward the end when I get shaky. Maybe if I keep the weight but reduce the reps and then just worry about working up the weight it'll go better.

Also, this isn't a bad pull. I have a feeling it will hurt tomorrow or maybe the next 2 days but that's probably it. It might have just freaked out with the repeated strain.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 pm

are you squeezing your glutes when you stand up with the weight? that is what your supposed to do, not hyperextend your back like a cobra

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:57 am

if i don't do loads of sort tissue work on my spinal erectors, glute activation stuff and hip stretches before deadlifting my back'll be smarting. Might be worth a try

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 pm

caangelxox wrote:are you squeezing your glutes when you stand up with the weight? that is what your supposed to do, not hyperextend your back like a cobra
I'll keep an eye on it -- thanks!

For right now, I'll probably take a day or two off and next back workout no deadlifts but I'll keep this all in mind once I start doing them again.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Are you doing warm-up sets?

Jungledoc

Re: Deadlifts - pulled lower back 2nd time in a row >.<

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:36 am

Ricky wrote:Little over a week ago started deadlifting...doing about 10 reps at 200...
You STARTED with 10x200? You've been doing this lift for one week, and you are already to abandon it? You were only so sore that you recovered in a week, but you are done with DLing?

Try starting with an empty bar, just like you should with any new exercise. Your first week with a new lift is not the time to prove to the people in the gym how strong you are! Try a set of 5 at 45, and work up by 20 for a total of 3-5 sets. If you highest set was really easy, then start there next time and work up a few more sets. DLs don't like high volume, and they don't like frequency. Most people can DL maybe half as often as they squat.

In the mean time, or even before you start DLing, be doing some single-leg work--Bulgarians, lunges, step-ups, etc. Also, some back preparation, like GMs. Be sure that you understand good form, and "grease the groove" with good-form practice. Practice form with light weight, not 200 pounds.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:23 am

I think a key to realize here, is that just because you can lift it with your legs, doesn't mean you can support it with your back.

A deadlift is a big multi muscle lift and should be treated as such. Do a little reading on what muscles are stressed and learn to identify how each comes to failure. Then watch yourself lift in a mirror, or video recording, or better yet have someone that knows the lift well watch you.

That way when your legs are fine to put up more weight, but your back is lagging behind, you can slow down the weight progression and not mess up your back.

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Re: Deadlifts - pulled lower back 2nd time in a row >.<

Post by Ricky » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks again for all your help!

I didn't forget about this thread but I have been swamped with work and some other stuff, sorry for the lack of response...
Jungledoc wrote:You STARTED with 10x200? You've been doing this lift for one week, and you are already to abandon it? You were only so sore that you recovered in a week, but you are done with DLing?

Try starting with an empty bar, just like you should with any new exercise. Your first week with a new lift is not the time to prove to the people in the gym how strong you are! Try a set of 5 at 45, and work up by 20 for a total of 3-5 sets. If you highest set was really easy, then start there next time and work up a few more sets. DLs don't like high volume, and they don't like frequency. Most people can DL maybe half as often as they squat.

In the mean time, or even before you start DLing, be doing some single-leg work--Bulgarians, lunges, step-ups, etc. Also, some back preparation, like GMs. Be sure that you understand good form, and "grease the groove" with good-form practice. Practice form with light weight, not 200 pounds.
Yeah... Shortly after the last time I posted here when I was at the gym I watched people DL who are bigger than me and are doing less weight. This usually tells me I'm doing something wrong or in this case I think I was just trying to do way too much at once.

To clarify, I'm not giving up deadlifts but I wanted to get some good back workouts in and not risk messing it up again. I'm going to try again and next time start at 130x10. I have done this before just fine and I will *slowly* try to work my way up from there.

But all the advice here was very helpful and I'll take it all into consideration. I do leg stuff (every muscle) and lower back but I think I've been sticking to the machines a bit too much as the only lower back workouts I do are extensions and the lower back machine.

I definitely need to DL in my routine -- this is evidenced by hurting myself here. I am weak in it, and that needs to be improved but yeah... I'm gonna start of smaller this time and not go all gung-ho and I'll still do the basic back workouts I've been doing.

IMO, I think my upper back is doing awesome and my lower back has just been lagging behind.

Thanks again!

-- Ricky

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:14 am

I'm going to go out on a huge limb and say you're doing it wrong. Take some videos so we can see what's going on and possibly what the issue could be.

Also, like another posted said, don't just go jumping into it. Go slow, do some research, learn the movement and THEN go up in weight. I did 140Lb reps until I knew I had the movement down, and even then I took my time to ramp up the weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht363HslwnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vue17RjR ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3-64C7 ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFX ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N9hAu ... re=channel

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:07 pm

omg I feel like I post on this webstie too much, is that a bad thing? omg as for the dead lift thing, maybe if u try working out ur abs more, because I have heard many times that people throw out their backs because the abs are weak, maybe if you get ur abs in better shape that would help????