Women and Resistance Exercise

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Jungledoc

Women and Resistance Exercise

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:02 am

Jason's last 2 blog posts ( http://nunnsperformancetraining.blogspot.com/ )have been about why women should lift weights. The newest one is a link to Poliquin's site:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Articles ... spx?ID=163

I've posted that link on my Facebook profile, addressed to all the women that I love (that would be my sister, my daughter, my neices as well as my wife!). If some of you could get your wives or girlfriends, moms, sisters, daughters, female friends to look at that brief article, it might help some of them a lot.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:33 pm

my girlfriend's just joined a new gym and i offered to show her a few strength exercises but she won't have it. Doesn't want to get "too big"

sigh

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:51 pm

robertscott wrote:my girlfriend's just joined a new gym and i offered to show her a few strength exercises but she won't have it. Doesn't want to get "too big"

sigh
Did you tell her to stop taking steroids?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Since I posted this on my FB profile, I've gotten 3 "likes" (one of which was from a nephew) and 1 comment, which was basically a joke.

Sigh.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:08 pm

robertscott wrote:my girlfriend's just joined a new gym and i offered to show her a few strength exercises but she won't have it. Doesn't want to get "too big"

sigh
You could copy some "figure athletes" photos from T-Nation and post them around the house with captions like "this is what women who lift weights end up looking like".

What's that you say? Not a good idea? Well, it wouldn't work very well at my house either.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:49 pm

One of my NS thread buddies (female) has twice in last few days had a big gym beefalo load the squat bar and refuse to let her work in or ship his weights at the end of his workout. I told her to hang in there, not let it piss her off too much, talk to manager, etc. But, what kind of person doesn't help a girl in this situation. Grr...

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Since I posted this on my FB profile, I've gotten 3 "likes" (one of which was from a nephew) and 1 comment, which was basically a joke.

Sigh.
I just posted it on mine. We'll see what kind of response I get.

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:37 pm

My girlfriend had been doing basically "what she felt like doing" in the machine room, and then a bit of running until we took a break due to vacation and all that.

When we got back, I told her that if she wanted to look more fit(She is not even close to obese or even close to 'a bit fat', but you know women), she should drop the crap and let me show her what she should do.
She also has a few postural issues due to a crooked spine(or something like that) and hypermobile knee joints, so she can really use doing some proper exercises.

So far, we've had one session with deadlifts, military presses, planks and captains chair and some auxiliary stuff, and she did great. Her form for the deadlift was excellent, even better than some guy that was doing it next to us, once she got it down. Same with the military press.

We're going again tomorrow, and it's the same stuff again, as she couldn't do any more sessions last week due to work hours and so on, but this week we're doing the whole deal, including squats and rows.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:53 am

Most of my clients are women and they all lift weights.

In my experience they're only reluctant because of what they have been told or believe about all the bulking up stuff. I've not came across many who actually enjoyed going on the hamster wheels.

Just a word of warning - Training your partner can often lead to breaking up. It depends on your mentality, personality, or whatever but, i've seen many couples pretty much screaming at each other as the guy is trying to tell the girl what to do.

KPj

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:52 am

Hey thanks for posting it! Two weeks ago, I was talking with a girl at a business networking event and she says to me, "I don't need to workout, I'm already thin." Then she goes on to say, "My husband told me not to lift weights. That's for men. He's a police officer, so you know he knows what he's doing." I responded as politely as I could. Which resulted in "mmmmmmmmkay?" Afterwards, she friended me on facebook, so I was quick to write that first blog and post it to fb. Kind of my passive aggressive way of explaining things I guess. Then, I just happened to come across Poloqiun's post and thought it fit well. Thanks for reading!

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:02 am

I forwarded your blog posts over to my boss, since a good chunk of our clients are women.

I don't mind if women aren't that into getting strong and lifting heavy, but I do mind if they are wasting their time in the gym instead of training productively.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:15 am

I don't like when they use the weight machines like cardio. Sitting there, reading a magazine or their Iphone, while doing sets of 50 on the yes/no machines.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:20 am

ApolytonGP wrote:I don't like when they use the weight machines like cardio. Sitting there, reading a magazine or their Iphone, while doing sets of 50 on the yes/no machines.
It keep them out of the squat racks.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:28 am

In seriousness now, the article missed a couple of points. Women are more likely to become disabled in their lifetime than men. Lack of strength and power is the main contributor to falls and broken bones in seniors. Strength training can improve mobility, prevent falls, and reduce the chance of fractures if a fall does take place. All this reduces the likelihood of becoming disabled. Brittle bones are a common problem with aging women. Load bearing exercises can strengthen bones and improve this situation.

Although the article talked about longevity and how strength training can improve it, it is also a major contributor to improving the quality of life in later years, for both men and women.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Just posted the links to the first article and the Poloqiun article.

We'll see if anyone even comments.. (I doubt anyone will)

Cliff