Women and Resistance Exercise

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:45 pm

I was looking for "exercise" but this time I looked for "muscle Mass".

Try this: http://www.cbass.com/Biomarkers.htm

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Stu--Thanks! I think this has to be in reference to the same thing that Poliquin is talking about. I'll use this to do some more searching this evening (it's lunch time now, and I just want to relax with my coffee.) I tried searching briefly for an on-line copy of the publication it's referring to, but I'll look harder later.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:56 am

Jungledoc wrote:Stu--Thanks! I think this has to be in reference to the same thing that Poliquin is talking about. I'll use this to do some more searching this evening (it's lunch time now, and I just want to relax with my coffee.) I tried searching briefly for an on-line copy of the publication it's referring to, but I'll look harder later.
I blogged about this after reading the Bass article and finding the Tufts article:

http://strength-basics.blogspot.com/201 ... rkers.html

I'm waiting on my hardcopy of the book.

I suspect, though, that based on the article, that muscle mass isn't the #1 ranked indicator, just that it's #1 of 10 in a list of 10 items. We'll see if the book confirms or denies that.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:42 am

Well, now I'm looking for that supplement to the Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter. It was a supplement to the May, 2006 issue. The contents of the newsletter itself is posted on line, but it doesn't mention the supplement. I'd be happy to buy the issue for $5, if I was sure that I'd get the supplement. Does anyone here subscribe, or have access to a library that does? Would anyone be willing to look up that supplement?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:20 am

Andy, that document Peter linked to is the 2006 special supplement.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:43 am

Well, this looks like I'm pretty muddle-headed, which, at times, I am. I started to write the post above, then was called to supper (which call I never fail to heed!) and then finished after supper, not noticing that Peter had posted the link. Later I decided to read Peter's blog, and he talked about it there.

I had missed it when I was searching the Tufts newsletter site, as I was expecting to see the word "Biomarkers" in the title. Peter has promised a review of the book.

By the way, if you don't read Peter's blog, you should:
http://strength-basics.blogspot.com/

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:27 am

Jungledoc wrote:I had missed it when I was searching the Tufts newsletter site, as I was expecting to see the word "Biomarkers" in the title. Peter has promised a review of the book.

By the way, if you don't read Peter's blog, you should:
http://strength-basics.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the plug. I try to keep it useful. I re-link a fair amount of stuff that gets discussed here, because not everyone reads everything here (or reads these forums in the first place) . . . and because it makes it much easier for me to find it again when I need to!

I found that article by persistence and date, mostly. I knew the date, so I just kept looking until I found that issue. It's a bit odd it's a PDF with no extension on the stored file. Who saves an article as "4010" with no extension? Just laziness not to go fix it, that's what I think.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:36 pm

It was odd. But my computer fixed it. The first time it opened as a window of nonsense, but when I double-clicked the file in the download window, it hesitated then opened normally, and it is saved as a PDF without my doing anything.

I love my Mac.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:36 am

Sorry guys. I've been extremly busy this week and haven't been able to look for the info. Thanks Peter for doing so. I feel like I'm partially responsible for this since I reposted the links on my blog. Lesson learned. I'll be sure to add the actual research to my blog before posting it in the future.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Jason, you charge nothing for your blog. It's probably fine if you post the links and we all follow up on the research links for stuff we're really interested in.

taifun
n00b
n00b

Post by taifun » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Peter's blog is awesome!

I don't have a copy of the book, so I don't know which studies Biomarkers refers to, but here's a list of recent research from Tufts on aging and muscle mass (all of which is too recent to have made it into Biomarkers).

Just from skimming the abstracts of those studies, and looking at the studies that cite 'em (via google scholar), it looks like there's a lot of epidemiological evidence that lean mass correlates to good outcomes, but no intervention studies or even attempts to tease out causal relationships using instrumental variables.

There are some controlled trials on strength training, but the ones I've found so far target specific conditions (e.g., diabetes) rather than general health/mortality.

Skeletal muscle cutpoints associated with elevated physical disability risk in older men and women is interesting. Check out Figure 1: it looks like a higher skeletal muscle index is bad past a certain range. For men, that may just be because of a single outlier along with the use of a quadratic fit even though it's not obvious that that's the right curve to fit to. For females, the relationship looks real, though.

In the discussion, the authors note that women with higher muscle mass also have a lot more fat mass, but that women have to achieve "a high level of obesity" before their outcomes become a lot worse. I wonder why the same result doesn't hold in men -- is it that fat mass is less strongly correlated with muscle mass in men? That seems plausible, but I'd like to see the data.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks, taifun! What's your background? Are you involved in some type of research?

Thanks for the link to the list of publications. I had seen and saved many of those titles as I was searching for the Biomarkers update supplement.

taifun
n00b
n00b

Post by taifun » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:27 pm

I'm a grad student (until the end of the month), so I'm involved in research, but it's machine learning/statistical design stuff, so I don't have any particular expertise in health/kinesiology/epidemiology issues.

I just happen to have been reading a lot about, umm, geriatric health recently because my father is in his 70s, and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help keep his health up. Maybe you can train him if you open up a gym in Madison when you retire ;-).

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:37 pm

taifun wrote:Peter's blog is awesome!
Thanks!
taifun wrote:I don't have a copy of the book, so I don't know which studies Biomarkers refers to, but here's a list of recent research from Tufts on aging and muscle mass (all of which is too recent to have made it into Biomarkers).
Wow. I'll leave those to you and Jungledoc...that's a little more than I could bring myself to read on the subject. Still, thanks for digging that up!

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:13 am

Jungledoc wrote:You could copy some "figure athletes" photos from T-Nation and post them around the house with captions like "this is what women who lift weights end up looking like".

What's that you say? Not a good idea? Well, it wouldn't work very well at my house either.
Really? When you people post those kinds of photos on here it sure motivates me to work out, sheesh.