Women and Resistance Exercise

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:11 pm

They can hang out with a lot of in shape scantily clad men too.

And if they would just not have the headphones on so much I could flirt better with them.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:20 pm

stuward wrote:
robertscott wrote:my girlfriend's just joined a new gym and i offered to show her a few strength exercises but she won't have it. Doesn't want to get "too big"

sigh
Did you tell her to stop taking steroids?
na man, she'd fly into a fit of roid rage and throw me down the stairs

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:26 pm

ApolytonGP wrote:They can hang out with a lot of in shape scantily clad men too.

And if they would just not have the headphones on so much I could flirt better with them.
Which adds to the reason why MANY women wont go near the free weight area. They don't want to be hit on, intimidated, or even watched by the guys in that area.

At least that's what my wife tells me.

Cliff

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Cliff, I'm sure you are correct in that assessment. I did meet some gals some years ago in Danmark that couldn't have cared less though. Your comment made me remember it. I was at the local gym in Viborg, Danmark, and we had some gals in from out of town for some type of track meet, and they came in for a weight workout and were in street clothes. I couldn't believe my eyes. They stripped down right there into bra and panties for freedom of movement and didn't think twice about it, and couldn't have cared less if anyone was watching them.
Tim

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Europeans (sans Brits) have less of a nudity taboo. coed beaches and sauna and all that.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:54 am

wilburburns wrote: Which adds to the reason why MANY women wont go near the free weight area. They don't want to be hit on, intimidated, or even watched by the guys in that area.

At least that's what my wife tells me.

Cliff
Pretty much what I was going to say. Sure you get the odd women who is fit as hell, proud of it, and not ashamed to show off what she's worked so hard for. Just like the waxed BB types in tank tops do. For the majority though, there are many things that put them off, as far as I've been told, anyway.

One is simply a lack of confidence - they don't think they will do anything 'properly' and are embarrassedat how little they can lift. In my gym, up stairs there's this little 'mini' free weights area with some light DB's, fixed bars, steps and benches. I find that after 3-4 weeks up there, my clients will have the confidence to go downstairs into the free weights area. Only a small percentage are willing to go straight to the free weights area. In 3-4 weeks they pretty much end up lifting better than 90% of people in there, anyway.

Big guys look intimidating. I hear this all the time. I always tell them that the most intimidating looking guys in the place are typically the nicest guys in the place. I know most of them so it really helps when they are genuinely friendly when we go down there. I tell my female clients that it's skinny guys dressed up like they're in a night club that are going to be a$$holes (if anyone).

Another is that sometimes you walk in there with a female client and the men look like it's the first female they've set eyes on in a couple of decades. Couple that with the somewhat compromising positions of doing DL's, Rows, etc, and there's a lot to be self conscious about.

I'm also sure a large part of the reason is simply not 100% buying into the fact that they should lift heavy things. I've started just telling them to "man up". I tell them to go down there and own the weights area. When the guy from the "calling all BB's" thread is in, I will often say, "you're on the same program as him!".

Here's a relevant blog post, by Neghar Fonooni. I discovered her via strength coach. She's amazing.

http://neghar.blogspot.com/2010/04/real ... ights.html

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 am

I didn't receive the first comment or even "Like" when I posted the link to the articles. Kinda Sad really.. Oh Well..

Tim,
Can't say that I've ever had a lifting experience like that, nor do I ever expect to have one, but I'm still fairly young, anything can happen. :twisted:

KPJ,
We have a few "Gym Bunnies" who've worked hard and don't seem to mind showing off their hard work (within Reason of course), but they are in the minority. Many more who seem to have my wife's mentality and intimidation factor.

To add to that though, the free weight ares is quite small comparatively, therefore if more women were in that area, I'd have to wait even longer for he squat rack or floor space to DL.

Great find from Neghar Fonooni.

[quote=kpj]
Big guys look intimidating. I hear this all the time. I always tell them that the most intimidating looking guys in the place are typically the nicest guys in the place. I know most of them so it really helps when they are genuinely friendly when we go down there. I tell my female clients that it's skinny guys dressed up like they're in a night club that are going to be a$$holes (if anyone). [/quote]
This is so true.

Cliff

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:31 am

I'll stick these up on my blog tomorrow. Hopefully my couple of female readers will like them and pass them along - or at least pass along the information!

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:35 pm

guys get intimidated by weight rooms too, my old flatmate wanted to start training but was too scared he'd be the smallest guy there and "look like a pussy" (his words, not mine)

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:14 pm

I just said screw it and wheeled my fat belly, weakling body in there. Figured I needed it more than anyone else. And would make proportional gainst faster than anyone else. Pretty much, worked.

I don't get the whole self-consiousness thing though. I guess cause I didn't have it (I know a lot do). But I honestly don't give a crap who sees how much I lift or any of that. I spent 6 days a week in the gym for a year and never had anyone say anyghint about me lifting too little. People just do their own thing and so do I. Maybe a few people said something about me losing weight or getting stronger. But honest, not very much at all. It's mostly just every man for himself.

Actually the people who say they feel ignored or lost or no one talks to them...and they want a trainer or a class for that reason...that I understand more.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:21 pm

I get intimidated whenever I see a new chick pick up dumbbells cause I'm worried she's gonna out-Bulgarian me.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:24 pm

You'll notice that in the Poloquin blog that this referred to initially there is the reference to a study or studies at Tufts that showed that muscle mass correlates to longevity. I'd love to see that study and to be able to quote it with authority. In the blog Poloquin doesn't give any better hints about the article(s), or the author. I've tried to find it with a literature search, but I couldn't find it. I wrote to Poloquin, and got a reply from his assistant saying basically "find it yourself". I wrote back patiently asking for any more clues, such as author's name, but in her reply she said "Charles writes those, and he doesn't come into the office much." She said that she'd try to ask him, and get back to me sometime.

This illustrates a very common trend in writing about fitness and in healthcare, and I'm sure in many other fields where there is a mix of folk tradition and science. People "cite" studies without really citing them. Without a specific citation (name of article, author, publication, dates, etc) the reader has no way of confirming what you say about the study. You're left trusting the interpretation and honesty of the author. There isn't really even evidence that the author has seen the study him/herself.

I have seen cases where people quoted studies, but when I went and looked at the actual study I found that it didn't even say what the writer claimed it said. At least with the citation data I can see for myself that this is the case. When the "citation" is nothing more that "a study showed that..." there is no way to confirm or refute the writer's claim. Saying something like "a study at Tufts University showed that..." sounds more convincing, but is no different. "Tufts University" is not a useful Medline search.

When a layperson in casual conversation (in person or on a forum) says something like that, you call him on it and he can't produce the "study", it's really no big deal. But when "experts" of international reputation do it in widely distributed writing, it's downright disturbing.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:38 pm

Times like this is why I want to have a thumbs-up system on the forums.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:31 pm

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:38 pm

This may not be the document you want but it's interesting and has a great bibliography: http://www2.fhs.usyd.edu.au/ess/orr/GDA ... %20age.pdf