Apprentice

Acetaminophen Gains

Post by Onlyethic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:59 pm

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:32 pm

It makes sense to me.

My (not scientific) answer is: the less pain you feel the more you can do. That's why they put glucosamine in a lot of supplements.

But I cant wait to read everyone's post, that knows what there talking about.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Acetomycin (Tylenol) doesn't do squat for me, but IBprofen does. I have major hip pain, and other pain problems. Age 61. I can't really tell when I'm taking it, but can tell when I go off of it. I take prescription doses, 800 mg, and when training, I haven't seen that it helps all that much, but I have maintained muscle mass, even while decreasing in overall strength. I can't tell you if the study will affect everyone like that, but I seem to be in the "yes" category.Another one I rotate with is Naproxen. Now, you might want to research these two before you take them. I understand it could be detrimental to liver health, but you have to weigh the pro's against the cons, and without them, I might not be walking. Andy, you're input is most welcome.
Tim

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:02 pm

TimD wrote:Acetomycin (Tylenol) doesn't do squat for me, but IBprofen does. I have major hip pain, and other pain problems. Age 61. I can't really tell when I'm taking it, but can tell when I go off of it. I take prescription doses, 800 mg, and when training, I haven't seen that it helps all that much, but I have maintained muscle mass, even while decreasing in overall strength. I can't tell you if the study will affect everyone like that, but I seem to be in the "yes" category.Another one I rotate with is Naproxen. Now, you might want to research these two before you take them. I understand it could be detrimental to liver health, but you have to weigh the pro's against the cons, and without them, I might not be walking. Andy, you're input is most welcome.
Tim
As I understand it, Naproxen and IBprofen are both Anti-Inflammatories, which I can see a benefit when lifting. I know doses of either of those help me with muscle soreness.

Tylenol doesn't help nearly as much for for muscle soreness, but it's not classified as an anti-inflammatory.

Cliff

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:26 pm

I've abused my liver enough throughout my life. I figure it is best for me to stay away from the stuff. If I was younger I would try it. Yes, I know it is for old folks, but I would have tried it anyway.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm

hoosegow wrote:I've abused my liver enough throughout my life. I figure it is best for me to stay away from the stuff. If I was younger I would try it. Yes, I know it is for old folks, but I would have tried it anyway.

LOL

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 pm

I can't imagine that either one would do much for someone who didn't have joint pain, even mild.

Yeah, I'm also in the arthritic old man category, and take an anti-inflammatory every day. In my case, I have a supply of outdated ketoprophen in timed-release capsules, so that's what I use at the moment. Nothing beats free. It works very well for me, and I go weeks at a time without thinking about my arthritis. I don't think I could train without the meds. I also take castochondroitin and glucoseamine.