How strong?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

manofsteel1385
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manofsteel1385 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Strength is based on perception. It's simple really I think. If I hang out with a bunch of people that lift a lot less then me they perceive me as strong.

If I then hang out with people that are a lot stronger than me I perceive myself as weak.

Completely based on perception. A lot of people think I'm strong but I don't a lot of people think i am jacked but I don't there is someone that is always bigger stronger badder etc.

Main reason for motivation for me I think.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 pm

"Uh huh. Chimps are also strong." - frogbyte

True, but chimps grow larger than most people realize. Adult males can reach 150 lbs in the wild, with really big males reaching around 180 lbs.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:19 am

Yeah but a 180 lb chimp could pull the arms off a 180 lb human.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:21 pm

hmmmmm this is such a weird topic, and ya bruce lee was in a lot of non official fights, Ive even read books as to him having these fights

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:38 am

"Yeah but a 180 lb chimp could pull the arms off a 180 lb human." - frogbyte

Definately ... they're much stronger pound for pound.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:42 am

"hmmmmm this is such a weird topic, and ya bruce lee was in a lot of non official fights, Ive even read books as to him having these fights" - Immortal

So have Tank Abbot and Kimbo. My point is there's a big difference between someone who's won a lot of street fights and someone who can compete at the highest level against world class fighters.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Matt Z wrote:My point is there's a big difference between someone who's won a lot of street fights and someone who can compete at the highest level against world class fighters.
Very true, although hard to prove in the case of Bruce Lee - since he died long before those kind of matches were legal and popular. He certainly fought other people, though, in both age-specific and "street" conditions. It's just silly to argue a "who would win?" with him because it'll all come down to opinion.

He did win the first (admittedly choreographed) MMA fight I'd even seen though, when he submits Sammo Hung on the ground in Enter the Dragon! :grin:

Back on the topic, the funny thing about strength is that it's easy to measure, but hard to get anyone to agree on what those numbers mean.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Exactly! Bruce Lee was very fast, hit hard and had a fairly wide range of skills (especially for his time), but it's impossible to say just how well he would have fared against the best fighters of his day, let alone today.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:16 pm

ok ok ok, how bout this who here has more useful strength, someone who can dead lift 200 pounds 25 times, of someone can lift 450 pounds once and only be able to lift 200 pounds like 15 times??

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:08 am

It depends on the task. If I have a lot of rocks to be moved, I'd take the former. If my car was stuck, I'd take the latter.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:31 am

My training partner and I like to say, "more is always better...except when it comes to Reps". In other words, if you think you need more rest, then take it. More is always better. If you think you need more weight on the bar, then do it....more is always better.... If you think you need to do more reps, then don't. Reps don't count. Either more weight, rest, both, or nothing :smile:

25 reps is 24 more than you need.

So, yeah, I go with the lifter who can put the most weight on the bar...

KPj

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:34 am

KPj wrote:Reps don't count. Either more weight, rest, both, or nothing :smile:
Heh. That's the opposite of my approach. A 1RM is meaningless in my sport, because you so rarely get to apply it. Reps and ability to perform for time are very important.

I also train a fireman...his 1RM is steadily improving, but it's his ability to move heavy stuff repeatedly under stress that matters the most.

But 20 x 200 vs. 15 x 200 and a 450 1RM? I'd choose the latter guy as stronger. I'd bet I could take the latter guy and get him to 20 x 200 in no time at all, but it'll be harder to get the first guy a 450 deadlift unless he's very, very close to it.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Oh yeah....20 x 200 deadlift...geez, even I can crank that out easily and I daydream about be able to crack 400. :wink:

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:12 pm

o wow , idk I guess everyone has their own views of strength :P