How strong?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:24 am

nygmen wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU9UAjI6 ... r_embedded

That is strong...

God I'm a weak little girl
This post almost needs its own thread by itself..

How strong is he really in any one particular lift?? Sa for example, he just wanted to DL and do nothing else, what would his numbers be.

By the end of this show/event, fatigue must have been starting to set in...

Cliff

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:31 am

That is strong...

And I'm a decrepit old man.

No, wait. I already knew that.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:35 am

Immortal wrote:But IM just saying that strength where I come from is usually who can beat who head on.
Yes, but my point is just that - beat them head on at what?

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:29 pm

"Take for instance, Bruce Lee. He wasnt a body builder at all, but he was still considered extremely powerful because he was conditoned, had fighting strength, and had skill.. He wasn't the strongest lifter but I guarantee 9 times out of 10 he was always the winner in a fight, and even that is rating it low .. I would go as far as to say he won fights nearly 10 times out of 10." - Immortal

It helps if it's in the script. ... As far as I know, Bruce Lee never had a record in any ring sport. ... Also, I think you're confusing strength with power. You don't need to be very strong to hit hard if you're fast.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:35 pm

"But IM just saying that strength where I come from is usually who can beat who head on." - Immortal

But physical strength is just one of MANY factors that can decide the outcome of a fight (or grappling match). When Royce Gracie faught Kimo Leopoldo, Kimo was obviously MUCH stronger, but Royce still won. Royce was never very strong, but he was a good fighter.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:33 am

I think a perfect example of this is the Pudz vs Silvia fight. Obviously, Mariusz was much stronger than Tim, but Tim has better skills. Tim wins. Another example of this is steroids and baseball. No matter how much gear someone is on, you still have to put a round bat on a round ball. Just like the other instances, strength helps but it's not the be all end all. Many sports take a combination of skill, strength, and conditioning.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:44 am

That is strong...

Misha is a freak.

This further proves my point I was making. While Misha is a freak, he still has yet to win any titles. I think his best strongman finish is 3rd at IFSA world's. I know he was also on the Russian Olympic team a while back, but I don't think he metal'd. While his 800 x 3 deadlift is insane to the normal man. It's just average in his world.

Here's Zydrunas hitting 900 x 2 and 946 x 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bADPG0N7 ... r_embedded

I love watching the camera shake!

Here's Poundstone hitting 800 for 9ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf6H8yZEozw

Again, at their level. Everyone can do that. Strong enough?

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:33 am

Matt Z wrote:It helps if it's in the script. ... As far as I know, Bruce Lee never had a record in any ring sport.
He boxed in school in Hong Kong, according to his bios. And apparently got sent to the US by his family because he kept fighting other kids in unofficial matches, too.

(And by the way, it was Wil Hornef that I met at NAGA - he's my strength coach's BJJ coach, or was at the time anyway.)

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:05 am

Interesting question. I think about it a lot so i'll give you an idea what goes on in my head :grin:

To me, "strong" is simply overcoming.

For one person it may be a 400lbs DL. For another it might be re gaining the ability to walk, or just getting kicked in the face by life but getting up, dusting yourself off, and going right back after it.

It's relative.

I think in our world strength should just be defined as making progress and getting sh*t done. If I squat 500 by the end of the year i'll be considered strong by some. If I blow out a knee tomorrow and can squat an empty bar in three months I'll be considered strong by others.

I don't think it's something that can be defined physically. It's a mental thing. Whatever "strong" is to you, it's always just your mind taking your body for a ride.

In other words, I think "strong" runs deeper than a bar and some plates.

If you're being training/gym specific then it probably depends on the enviroment. In my gym a 225lbs bench is considered impressive. Any squat over 300lbs is impressive and and DL in and around the 400lbs mark is impressive. You're considered VERY strong in my gym if you can do any of these. To me personally, I consider a 300lbs bench, 400 squat, and 500 deadlift to be "decent"/respectable (this is for me personally).

KPj

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:34 am

KPj wrote:If you're being training/gym specific then it probably depends on the enviroment. In my gym a 225lbs bench is considered impressive. Any squat over 300lbs is impressive and and DL in and around the 400lbs mark is impressive. You're considered VERY strong in my gym if you can do any of these.
Heh. You need to bench 315 or squat 405 or play on ESPN in order to be allowed to change the Ipod's music selection at my gym. No mention of deadlifts, though, but I figure you might be able to argue for an allowance if you pulled 495 or so. "You" being "not me" since that's about 190 over my 1RM. Heh.

So yeah, it's all relatively to where you are. An 800 x 3 deadlift would be a gym record even at DeFranco's, but like Jason said, that's not so impressive in the world of competitive strongmen.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 am

Also all those metrics should be relative to body weight - ants are strong.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:22 am

Smaller species have an advantage since strength, which is related to cross-sectional area, increases relative to the square of hight of the animal but body mass is related to the cube of the height, therefore limiting larger animals.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Uh huh. Chimps are also strong.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:10 pm

I wish we had exoskeleton.

frogbyte
Advanced Member