Does anyone on here take a pre-workout supplement?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

caangelxox

Does anyone on here take a pre-workout supplement?

Post by caangelxox » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm just wondering, I am thinking about trying some to help motivate me to workout, especially when school starts back up in a week (beginning of september) and have to workout from 6-7am in the morning.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:32 pm

If I had to work out from 6 to 7, the main supplement would be coffee, strong, hot and fresh.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Jungledoc wrote:If I had to work out from 6 to 7, the main supplement would be coffee, strong, hot and fresh.
I'll have coffee an hour or so before I do MMA, but I sweat so much I don't get nailed with the diuretic effect.

But yeah, caffeine helps keep me snappy with a morning workout. I haven't tried anything stronger than that, or caffeine pills.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:56 am

I dont like coffee and I rather used powder supplements in my favorite drink like grape juice, safer. I am also very picky and coffee is addictive and also smelly too (bad breath). Also once it wears off, I hear you are more tired.

based on research finding out the main ingredients.... Supplements like pump 260, no explode, and jack3d have a dangerous supplement called maltodextrin that is not good for you and maybe a couple other few little things that should not even be in it. I have read reviews and side effects people have gotten from long term use or using for the very first time (out of breath, dehydrated, etc.)

caffeine powder
AAKG powder
beta alanine powder
1,3-dimethylamylamine pill form 25mg (heard it can also help with my ADD)
Micronized Creatine Monohydrate (already own...I can add this supplement with the others for pre-workout)

If you looked at the label of Jack3d, those are all the supplements that are in it. It would be good if maltodextrin was not in it, so to be safer..I rather buy everything seperete and mix everything together that way.

some supplements I have read slightly about (skimmed through) that might be helpful, but unsure if I need them.
L-Aspartic Acid, L-Citrulline, Ribose, Ornithine Alpha-ketoglutarate

post-workout: I have dextrose corn sugar, strawberry flavor whey protein (I <3 the taste), and l-glutamine. Also I can have creatine post workout too if I want, but the problem is it likes to sit at the bottom of the shake tasting like sand and I would have to have a plastic spoon with me mixing it up every couple sips when I feel sand taste again. I was thinking about just doing creatine pre-workout instead that I can have in a glass and just mix up that way. Post workout I would be drinking right after I finish my workout in the lockerroom.

For post-workout along with the dextrose corn sugar, l glutamine, and whey protein...I am thinking about getting from nutrabio.com (all sold in seperete powders)...MSM, Glucosamine Sulfate, Glucosamine HCI, and Chondrotin Sulfate for joint health..so that I will keep my joints strong and decrease my chance of getting injured and getting wear and tear..I want to keep my joints strong and young. There is also another powder called l-proline..but I dont think I need that one. All together (MSN, Glucosamine Sulfate, Glucosamine HCI, and Chondrotin Sulfate)...
MSM (1000mg): $14.99 for 500 servings
chrondrotin sulfate 1500mg: $32.99 for 333 servings, $58.98 for 666 servings
Glucosamine HCI (2000mg): $19.96 for 250 servings, $34.98 for 500 servings
Glucosamine Sulfate: $19.96 for 250 servings (2000mg), $34.98 for 500 servings
Cost would be $88 for 8 months, a lot cheaper than pill form and taking pills that only have some of it in and it may not even be real. this site nutrabio.com says everything is Pharmaceutical grade.

I already take womens mega multivitamins (GNC and with Iron..heard that those with ADD need Iron) twice per day. and also 2 softgels of fish oil twice per day as well. I also take lutein for the eyes every couple of days (cant do it everyday cause its too strong 20mg #1 rating at iherb.com..my moms eyes and mine have not gotten worse since taken it starting over a year ago)

Summery....

pre-workout (1 serving every morning before each workout)...I want to hear what you guys think before buying these...

Caffeine (anhydrous USP) 200mg
AAKG: 3500mg
Beta Alanine: 2000mg
1,3-dimethylamylamine: 25mg (pill form, could not find powder form online)

other supplements I am looking into
L-Aspartic Acid: 2000mg
Ribose Powder D-Ribose: 5000mg
Ornithine Alpha-ketoglutarate: 1500mg
Citrulline Malate: 3000mg
COQ10 50mg powder

Post-workout
l-glutamine 5 grams
whey protein 26 grams
dextrose corn sugar 26 grams
Micronized Creatine Monohydrate 5grams
MSM, Glucosomine Sulfate, Glucosamine HCI, Chrondrotin Sulfate

What do you think about the supplements I have not bought yet that I will use for pre-workout? and also the list I listed as "other" that I am unsure if I need or not. I want something that will motivate me to go to the gym right when I wake up after I eat breakfast. Plan is to wake up, make myself some oatmeal or cereal (whatever i'm in the mood for at that time) and drink grapejuice along with my pills of VAXA ATTEND and Memorin (homeopathic medicine for ADD, which I see working at the moment for increased confidence, mood, communication, etc..unsure about memory yet until school starts, which it better work for that), fish oil, and multivitamins.

for pre-workout, I am unsure if I should put all the supplements mixed in together after my breakfast or before. I am thinking maybe after would be better. also for the creatine I am unsure if I should include it in both pre-workout and post-workout or if it doesnt matter if both or one.

before buying anything, I want to get opinions from you guys first for the pre-workout stuff.Cost is not cheap and it will average about $100 total for the pre-workout supplements (worth it though..will last me about 4-6 months) + averaging about $80 for joint supplements.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:02 am

caangelxox wrote:I dont like coffee and I rather used powder supplements in my favorite drink like grape juice, safer. I am also very picky and coffee is addictive and also smelly too (bad breath). Also once it wears off, I hear you are more tired.

Safer? Powder supplements in grape juice are safe than coffee, how exactly?

Coffee is addictive - er, not really. Caffeine is, and any caffeine supplement is going to be potentially addictive and have the same "wears off and makes you more tired" problem. That's just how stimulants work.
caangelxox wrote:based on research finding out the main ingredients.... Supplements like pump 260, no explode, and jack3d have a dangerous supplement called maltodextrin that is not good for you and maybe a couple other few little things that should not even be in it.
How is maltodextrin bad for you? It's just another form of sugar - like the glucose and fructose in your grape juice. Or the dextrose in your post-workout drink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin

I think you're going a bit overboard with supplements. That's from somebody who takes more than his fair share of vitamins and supplements. Why not try these one by one, so you can fairly evaluate what happens when you add it and then when you drop it out of the rotation?

Plus, any pre-workout stimulant is potentially going to have that "spike-and-crash" effect, although though some combinations seem to smooth out the crash so you don't feel it as much.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:44 pm

CA, I think the problem is that you will believe pretty much anything. You should really be much more skeptical.

Most of that stuff doesn't work. Caffeine, dimethylamylamine and creatine work. Whey and dextrose do as well, they are more food than supplement though. The rest of that stuff doesn't.

The dimethylamylamine you are taking is a fairly low dose, so it won't cause much in the way of side effects. However I think you might find getting a prescription for a controlled release methylphenidate, might be more effective. Conserta is quite expensive, you can get the generic though (methylin ER, or metadate ER, other similarly named generics). I found it to be just as effective as aderall, but with less side effects. So just something to think about. However you do seem to mostly have the hyper focused type of ADD, so stimulants may or may not work for you.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Ironman wrote:CA, I think the problem is that you will believe pretty much anything. You should really be much more skeptical.

Most of that stuff doesn't work. Caffeine, dimethylamylamine and creatine work. Whey and dextrose do as well, they are more food than supplement though. The rest of that stuff doesn't.

The dimethylamylamine you are taking is a fairly low dose, so it won't cause much in the way of side effects. However I think you might find getting a prescription for a controlled release methylphenidate, might be more effective. Conserta is quite expensive, you can get the generic though (methylin ER, or metadate ER, other similarly named generics). I found it to be just as effective as aderall, but with less side effects. So just something to think about. However you do seem to mostly have the hyper focused type of ADD, so stimulants may or may not work for you.

what do you mean the hyper focused type of ADD? I think I am impulsive and inattention , which I have trouble understanding what I read and stuff when certain vocabulary is used and when things are explained a certain way. I also have communication trouble and memorizing things and then it falls out of my memory after taking a test and stuff. When I went to my psychiatrist, she diagnosed me ADD and I am getting a blood test done before she prescribes me any medication. I think she may be prescribing me ritalin. Right now though, I am testing out over the counter VAXA Attend and VAXA Memorin and if that doesnt work..I am going to ritalin or whatever prescription she gives me, ritalin is most popular right now with ADD. The real test to see if VAXA works is after I start school in 1 week.

I have not tried dimethylamylamine yet by the way, just thinking about getting it.

and if you say that beta alanine and some of those other supplements from the #1 supplement jack3d, then how does jack3d work so well? and how do people get those side effects? Thats why I am afraid to buy it with everything in it because there are other stuff jack3d people probably put in it that is causing that stuff, especially with long term use according to the reviews.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Angel--"hyperfocused" is basically paying attention to something that may not be what your should really be paying attention to. For many of us ADDers, the problem is not only that we can't stay focused on what we are trying to pay attention to, but that we get "stuck" on something unimportant. I may try to pay attention to what a teacher is talking about, but all I can think about is some little background noise. Or I get some subject on my mind, and I think about that all the time, and can't focus on something that is in reality more important.

Meds can help with that, too. What's important about the meds is to individualize the medicine and the dosing. Hopefully your doc will see you fairly often during the early weeks of treatment, and will make lots of adjustments to the meds until you get a plan that works for you. If the doctor gives you parameters for changing dosing yourself, fine. Otherwise don't change until the doc says. Also, hopefully you will have easy access to the doctor if you are having problems with the meds, so you can adjust right away.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:42 pm

I use 200mg caffeine tabs. At 230lbs these were a lot at first, so be weary. Get the solids and break them in half, build up to the full pill.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking about bumping up to 400mgs.

I also have a shake pre & during which is basically sugar and protein.

The sugar is Surge Workout Fuel & the Protein is a blend from TrueProtein, 70% cheapo whey, 15% BCAA and 15% hydro whey.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:52 pm

lol, I can tell I'm not stimulant sensitive in the least compared to the normal population.

I usually take about three 200mg caffeine pills and a 25mg ephedrine pre-workout.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:21 pm

NightFaLL wrote:lol, I can tell I'm not stimulant sensitive in the least compared to the normal population.

I usually take about three 200mg caffeine pills and a 25mg ephedrine pre-workout.
Jesus H...

I would be ripping the walls down, lol.

What time of day you train? I would be up all night.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:37 pm

nygmen wrote:
NightFaLL wrote:lol, I can tell I'm not stimulant sensitive in the least compared to the normal population.

Jesus H...

I would be ripping the walls down, lol.

What time of day you train? I would be up all night.
Mid-Afternoon, typically.

I'm currently doing 2x/day, though. So, it's like 11am then 5pm.

I've never really been very stimulant sensitive, maybe it's because I grew up chugging soda/pop.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:48 pm

caangelxox wrote:
Ironman wrote:CA, I think the problem is that you will believe pretty much anything. You should really be much more skeptical.

what do you mean the hyper focused type of ADD? I think I am impulsive and inattention , which I have trouble understanding what I read and stuff when certain vocabulary is used and when things are explained a certain way. I also have communication trouble and memorizing things and then it falls out of my memory after taking a test and stuff. When I went to my psychiatrist, she diagnosed me ADD and I am getting a blood test done before she prescribes me any medication. I think she may be prescribing me ritalin. Right now though, I am testing out over the counter VAXA Attend and VAXA Memorin and if that doesnt work..I am going to ritalin or whatever prescription she gives me, ritalin is most popular right now with ADD. The real test to see if VAXA works is after I start school in 1 week.

I have not tried dimethylamylamine yet by the way, just thinking about getting it.

and if you say that beta alanine and some of those other supplements from the #1 supplement jack3d, then how does jack3d work so well? and how do people get those side effects? Thats why I am afraid to buy it with everything in it because there are other stuff jack3d people probably put in it that is causing that stuff, especially with long term use according to the reviews.
Well I was basing that on your tendency towards very verbose writing with extreme focus on small details. However that's not to say that is definitely the dominant type you have. I tend more towards the inattentive type myself, but I definitely have the hyperfocus issue as well. Perhaps yours is like that too. Ritalin is methylphenidate. There might be a continuous release version of the brand name. I always try to go for generics whenever possible, because the insurance company only charges a $10 copay on generics.

I have various learning disabilities too. The trick is figuring out how you learn things. Like what kind of a learner are you. Perhaps you don't do so good when you read stuff, but if someone gives a lecture, you absorb it better. Or maybe you can only retain information with hands on learning. When the normal way people do things doesn't work for you, you just have to figure out the way that does work for you. It's not easy. It can take years to figure it out. Even then it will probably still take greater effort and concentration that it does for other people.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:09 am

ohh yes I am hyperfocused...

.back on topic.....

do you guys think I should get jack3d and take just 1 serving before each workout and see how my body responds with all the supplements in 1 instead of buying it seperete to save money? I am a female 110 pounds, so I dont need 3 servings like the directions say and plus those that do take too much end up getting side effects.

I am still thinking about buying the MSM, glucosamine HCI/sulfate, and chondrotin sulfate though...for joint health, which is important for post-workout or maybe it should be pre-workout? I am guessing maybe pre-workout for the joint health with the jack3d if I decide to get it.

and the micronized creatine monohydrate will be taken post workout with the dextrose corn sugar, glutamine, and whey protein.

does that sound like a good plan?

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:10 am

If you want to get jack3d cheap, I use allstarhealth.com - I was looking at it today actually and it was ~$22, pretty cheap I believe.