When to recomend steady state cardio

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:49 pm

Ironman wrote:That's raw calories burned during the exercise though. You also get the elevated metabolism for a day or so with the intervals.
Cardio in general boosts metabolism though I haven't seen any research isolate any type of interval training over another type of training with a similar time/intensity.

I think it's hard to quantify stuff like that, anyway.

I don't think there's any "magic" to intervals but I think it works well for a lot of people.

EDIT: I found this - http://jp.physoc.org/content/575/3/901.short but I'm not convinced that is a similar intensity between the two groups. Again, how would you quantify something like that?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Ricky, check out TimD's post. The link he provided references research that does quantify. it.

And no, I am not building a gym nor am I becoming a trainer. It is just that so many people don't know that HIIT is better than SSC and will argue with you on a pure calorie during the activity basis.

callipygian50
Novice
Novice

Post by callipygian50 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Ricky--
The abstract to article you link didn't focus on weight loss, but did focus on improving exercise capacity. Both worked, but the short sprint training has a much lower investment of time. One group trained 2.5 hours in two weeks, the other 10.5 hours in two weeks.

For busy people fitting exercise into a life containing work and family responsibilities, and who may also want hobbies other than exercise the time savings is a huge advantage.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:24 pm

SSC? Steady-state cardio? As in, a slow jog?

If all you want to do is burn calories and cut weight right now for this week, I think steady cardio may be the winner. Isn't that what most fighters do? AFAIK wrestlers/boxers/etc do steady cardio and heat, not HIIT.

However, that's missing the point. All signs point to HIIT making you healthier long term, and that's what ordinary people should care about.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:34 pm

pdellorto wrote:The Hoosegow
Get Strong. PRISON Strong.
Slam the door on weakness!

Gee, Hoose. We have it almost named, and now we have the outlines of an advertising campaign. All you need to do is rent some space, buy some equipment and get going!

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:31 pm

And someone to give me $300K to pay for the gym and equipment, plus pay all my bills.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:05 am

I feel ill even thinking of the bruce protocol, luckily I was always the one testing, not exercising.