Put together a framework for fitness-would appreciate advic

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Deadlifts are just more taxing than anything else, including squats and RDLs. Once you're doing them heavy, you'll understand. When I do a max DL, I really don't want to do anything else for a long time.

The other thing I had to add to what I wrote before was how to decide on where to start. In SS Rip says to start with the empty bar and do 5 reps, add weight 20 or 10 pounds at a time, each time doing 5 reps. When you get to a weight at which your bar speed slows, that is your starting working weight. Next time (the first "regular" workout) that's the weight to use for your 3 working sets. Then just add weight each workout each time until you can't make your sets. I think he says for upper body to add 10 pounds each time at first, then slow and add 5 each time, with 20 and 10 pounds for lower body lifts.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:49 pm

Yah, I've only been able to add 5 lbs for squats, and have been doing 10 lbs for deadlifts. I might be able to add more with squats now that I'm only doing them once a week, but I doubt it. Don't feel like I really need to. I add 5 each time for the upper body too. With the Turkish get ups, I figure how many I do will be dependent on the kettleballs, since we only have 3 atm. Thankfully, the guy who I mentioned getting ideas from by looking at his routine, although mine is still based from the starting framework of SS, has been getting the town's rec center into shape, thankfully. Fortunately, I know enough about lifting to spot those garbage muscle magazine workouts and to spot someone who knows what they're doing/talking about.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:56 am

TGUs are great. It doesn't take much weight to make them challenging. Just work on good form, and then work up the weight slowly. They tend to be self-correcting; if you use bad form you tend to drop weights on your face.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:06 am

Ouch! Fortunately the keetleballs at this place are like medicine balls with a handle. Only have 10, 15, and 35 lbs. But I can work with what we got.