Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

WebAddict
Rookie
Rookie

What is the "hand release push up" ?

Post by WebAddict » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:49 am

I can't find any instructional videos.

My right wrist is painfull since a few weeks ago and it really bugs me...
From what I understand the "hand release push up" is supposed to help, but I won't find out how to do it.....

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:12 pm

I've never heard of this exercise, either. Can you tell us where you heard about it?

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:08 pm

from what I'm reading online it's a cross fit pushup. I don't see how this would help your wrist.

The only thing that would possible help your wrist would be to do pushups off of db's. I used to do them until I figured out how to do them painlessly.

caangelxox

Re: What is the "hand release push up" ?

Post by caangelxox » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:59 am

WebAddict wrote:I can't find any instructional videos.

My right wrist is painfull since a few weeks ago and it really bugs me...
From what I understand the "hand release push up" is supposed to help, but I won't find out how to do it.....
are you talking about clap push ups or push ups using the rotation handle thingies?

WebAddict
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WebAddict » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:03 am

No no, I'm taking about plain push-ups

My wrist has now been painful for 4-5weeks... In daily life I dont notice it, but when I try to do a push-up I'm instantly reminded.

Does'nt seem to get much better... :/

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:24 am

So, Addict, where did you hear about "hand release push-ups". Why didn't whoever told you about the benefits tell you what they were?

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:37 am

I had a look around at some crossfit videos and as far as i can see, these are a pushup where in the bottom position you allow your torso to rest on the ground, lift your hands a small amount from the ground, then place hands back on the ground and pushup again to the top position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgW-F9aE ... re=related

(about 49 seconds in)

Not sure how they would help with wrist pain though as you are still supporting your weight in the same way as a regular pushup

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:48 am

If bending the wrist hurts, but holding it straight doesn't, try doing barbell pushups. I fall back on them alot whenever my bad wrist acts up (typically, after it gets cranked/locked/compressed in MMA class). Plus you can use the usual bench press cues to do them - squeeze bar and pull it apart, pull the bar to your chest, explode out, keep the scapula tight, keep the body rigid, etc. Only thing is, no leg drive.

I actually prefer barbell pushups to regular ones, for myself and for clients.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 am

dale2177 wrote:I had a look around at some crossfit videos and as far as i can see, these are a pushup where in the bottom position you allow your torso to rest on the ground, lift your hands a small amount from the ground, then place hands back on the ground and pushup again to the top position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgW-F9aE ... re=related

(about 49 seconds in)

Not sure how they would help with wrist pain though as you are still supporting your weight in the same way as a regular pushup
I can't really see how those would help with wrist pain either. Actually they seem to be a variation on the Superman, without raising the legs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szJuzPt-sg

For wrist pain, I would think a handle would help the most. Either some of the rotating ones, or as mentioned some dumbbells. Anything that would allow the wrists to stay straight throughout the entire range of motion.

Cliff