what is the best way to tell body fat ????

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Abe should have said, I would love to tap that ass.

If you can't see your toes your fat, if anyone ever told you that you cant park your car on the diving board your fat.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:46 pm

I don't know that it's really BS. There might be some truth to it, but I doubt that it's the "BEST way to tell body fat". The base of the belly button is tethered to the urachus, which probably stretches some as you gain fat, but would tend somewhat to hold it in. If fat builds up around it, the belly button would be deeper.

Maybe we should study the umbilical depth to hip circumference ratio or something.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:14 am

I store spare change in my belly button.

Higgy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Higgy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:15 am

I mention the belly depth test in jest, but I do think there is some truth to it. When I was sitting on my sofa back in March of this year, I notice it took a great deal of effort to extact my belly button lint due to the increased depth. This motivated me to get back into the gym and do something about this before it became impossible for me to reach the bottom. Now 6 month later I went from 190 to 205 lbs and now have a much shallower belly button. Hell, I even went down a notch on my belt. Next step for me is to lose the spare change around my waist.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:42 am

lmao!!!!!!!!

Jungledoc

ExRx Official Belly-Button Depth Guaging Protocol (EOBBDGP)

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:01 am

Use a standard lead pencil, not too sharp (for reasons that should be obvious) not too dull (you want a small tapered point that can reach the bottom of the BB.

1) Insert pencil, point-first into BB, making sure that the point comes in contact with the bottom of said BB. If the bottom of the BB feels squishy, you should go to your family doctor and have it cleaned properly before proceeding with the measurement.

2) Holding the pencil gently in place, lay a ruler across the pencil horizontally so that the ruler is on light contact with the skin on both sides of the BB. Use a sharp-tipped marker, another pencil, a scratch-awl or a squirt of spray paint to mark the pencil at the point where the edge of the ruler crosses it.

Caution: Be gentle with the pencil. If you use too much force, or if the pencil is too sharp you may rupture your BB, causing all the contents of your body to leak out, and causing you to fly around the room backwards like a balloon that's been inflated and released.

3) Remove pencil from BB. Measure in mm the distance from the tip of the pencil to the mark. Report measurement to the nearest mm. Report %body fat measured by other method if known.

I have a fine series of illustrative photos. I couldn't, however, think of any place to post them where I'd feel sure that no one that knows me in real life would ever see them, so they are not available.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:04 am

My BB 26mm deep. BF not known, and I'd be afraid to guess. :lol: