Creatine Loading/Creatine on an empty stomach

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Creatine Loading/Creatine on an empty stomach

Post by A. moss » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:17 pm

I've read that you should only take 20 grams of Creatine a day when loading and 10 grams when in maintenance phase and I have been taking 64 grams loading, and was planing on 32 grams maintenance. Should I back off a little?

Also, it seys to take Creatine on an empty stomach. Is it ok to take it when I have food in my stomach?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Once you're loaded up, only a small amount will be retained, the rest is wasted. You only need about 3-5 g/day.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Creatine Loading/Creatine on an empty stomach

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:26 am

A. moss wrote:I've read that you should only take 20 grams of Creatine a day when loading and 10 grams when in maintenance phase and I have been taking 64 grams loading, and was planing on 32 grams maintenance. Should I back off a little?
A.moss,

As Stu said, you don't need much after loading. Which bring us to some question.

What do you mean you been taking 64 grams and 32 grams maintenance? Is per day, per week, per what? And where did you come up with that?
Also, it seys to take Creatine on an empty stomach. Is it ok to take it when I have food in my stomach?
The recommendation is to take it with a high glycemic index carbohydrte, like maltodextrin, dextrose/glucose. Something like grape juice would probably work.

However, I've seen it taken with meals and work.

Kenny Croxdale

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
A. moss wrote:I've read that you should only take 20 grams of Creatine a day when loading and 10 grams when in maintenance phase and I have been taking 64 grams loading, and was planing on 32 grams maintenance. Should I back off a little?

What do you mean you been taking 64 grams and 32 grams maintenance? Is per day, per week, per what? And where did you come up with that?

First week (Loading phase) 64 grams of Creatine monohydrate. Weeks 2 & 3 (Maintenance phase) 32 grams of Creatine monohydrate. I just read some articles about it. I cant remember what web site they were off of.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Kenny Croxdale wrote: The recommendation is to take it with a high glycemic index carbohydrte, like maltodextrin, dextrose/glucose. Something like grape juice would probably work.

However, I've seen it taken with meals and work.

Kenny Croxdale
Yeah that's what I meant. I didn't know if it was really bad to take with my meals, but I'd like to if possible.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:56 pm

It sounds like an awful lot. 32 grams is more like what you would take for protein. 20g is the normal dose for loading and 5-10 is the normal dose for maintenance. The lower end of that range is probably more than enough. You want to take it with non acidic simple carbs, like grape juice or dextrose. It's best to mix it in your post workout shake but you can take it anytime, meals are fine. An insulin spike helps with the intake. You can get that from the post workout shake or your meal. Both will work.

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:58 pm

When i used to take it, I pit it in my coffee in the morning....Probably not a great idea, but it did dissolve pretty good.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:15 pm

A. moss wrote:I've read that you should only take 20 grams of Creatine a day when loading and 10 grams when in maintenance phase
Actually, several studies have shown that people who take 5 grams of creatine a day for 30 days ended with the same serum levels of the stuff as people who did a loading/maintenance cycle over the same 30 day period. If you plan to use creatine for a longer time period, loading offers no benefit.

As Stu noted in a prior message, excess creatine is excreted from the body. So using more than you need is a waste of your money, and will not likely offer any performance benefit when you exercise.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:04 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote: As Stu noted in a prior message, excess creatine is excreted from the body. So using more than you need is a waste of your money, and will not likely offer any performance benefit when you exercise.

Okay, I made a mistake. I thought I was taking 64 and 32 but I read the label wrong and its actually 16.8 and 8.4 so I think I'm good. I cant believe I did that. I thought that 64 and 32 seemed a little high (hence the post). Sorry.

But the "Creatine on an empty stomach" Was a helpful bit.

Thanks