Rate/Crtique my routine please

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Immortal

Rate/Crtique my routine please

Post by Immortal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 pm

I took a few days off to let my body recover a little bit and I have decided to start a full muscle building/ fat loss workout. Please rate this and tell me what to do to fix it!

Monday
Run 1 Mile
Dead Lift 5X5
Power Clean 3X5
Shrugs 3 X 5
Chin ups 3 X 5

Tuesday
Run 1 Mile
Bench Press 5 X 5
Dumbell Press 5X5
Incline Dumbell Press 5X5
Military Press 5 X 5
Shoulder Raise and Flys 2 X10 each

Wednesday
Run 1 Mile
One Arm Rows 5X5
Seated Row Machine (Lat Pull In) 5 X 5
Lat Pull Down 5X5
Dumbell Curl 2 X 10 and 5
Hammer Curl 2 X 10 and 5

Thursday
Run 1 Mile
Squat 5 X 5
Leg Extension 5 X 5
Leg Curls 5 X 5
Hip Abductor Machines in and out 2 X 10 each

Friday
Swim 10 laps under water
Swim 5 laps above water

Saturday
Run Half a Mile
Bench Press 3 X 5
Incline Bench Press 3 X 5
Chest Press machine 3 X 5

Sunday Rest

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:41 pm

@Immortal:

Overall, your program looks good. If you feel comfortable with it, try it for a couple of months and see what it gets you. I have a few questions/comments, for what it's worth:

1 - Why not run after you lift? Running a mile and then squatting 5x5 seems odd to me. It's sure to adversely affect the amount of weight that you can lift. If that isn't an issue, then why do 5x5?

2 - Purists do power exercises like cleans before strength exercises like deadlifts.

3 - If you must do presses on a Saturday workout, you should do military presses - preferably standing - rather than bench presses. You can then drop the military presses that you do on Tuesday. By the time you get to them on Tuesday, you're probably not able to give them the attention that they deserve.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck, and happy training.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Why so much running? Do you like to run? Are you training for an event that involves running? Or, do you just feel like you need to get that much cardio? If it's for the last reason, I'd cut down on the amount of running. I'd cut down to nothing, but you might want to cut down to 45 minutes 3 times per week, or something like that. You may want to gradually introduce some intervals which give you a lot of the same benefit in less time.
Stephen Johnson wrote:2 - Purists do power exercises like cleans before strength exercises like deadlifts.
Especially the smart purists. It's not for nothing that Stephen became the Exalted Seer.
Stephen Johnson wrote:3 - If you must do presses on a Saturday workout, you should do military presses - preferably standing - rather than bench presses. You can then drop the military presses that you do on Tuesday. By the time you get to them on Tuesday, you're probably not able to give them the attention that they deserve.
My first reaction was that there is a lot of pressing overall.
Stephen Johnson wrote:Just my 2 cents.
And worth much more.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:20 am

thanks guys but no no no, idk why but I always run a mile before I do any exercise, its my way of warming up and I dont like go all out I like do it at a nice pace just to get my blood flowing and its only like around 7 to 10 minutes usually.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Immortal wrote:thanks guys but no no no, idk why but I always run a mile before I do any exercise, its my way of warming up and I dont like go all out I like do it at a nice pace just to get my blood flowing and its only like around 7 to 10 minutes usually.
OK - you know yourself (and your training capacity) better than I do.

But Saturday's workout is too redundant of Tuesday's - no doubt you want to drive up your bench press numbers. It would be better for your shoulder health long term to balance the horizontal presses on Tuesday with vertical work on Saturday - military presses, dips and laterals. But that's your call.

ED: I just noted this on your Thursday workout:
Immortal wrote:Thursday
Run 1 Mile
Squat 5 X 5
Leg Extension 5 X 5
Leg Curls 5 X 5

Hip Abductor Machines in and out 2 X 10 each
Leg extensions and leg curls don't do much for hypertrophy or size, since they are isolation moves, not compound moves. Why do them 5x5?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Immortal wrote:thanks guys but no no no, idk why but I always run a mile before I do any exercise, its my way of warming up and I dont like go all out I like do it at a nice pace just to get my blood flowing and its only like around 7 to 10 minutes usually.
Sorry. I read it as "1 hour". My fault. 1 mile is certainly moderate.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:54 pm

THis is why I ask you guys for help, im still a teenager haha, I wanna know should I maybe run a quarter of a mile to warm up? will running 1 mile really hurt my lifting gains? should I save running till after?

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:47 am

There's nothing wrong with a 1 mile warmup. Save any hard running to afterwards, like sprints.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:37 am

Running a mile sounds pointless and it is only going to take away from your lifts. That's probably not the best time to do the running.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:40 am

stuward wrote:There's nothing wrong with a 1 mile warmup. Save any hard running to afterwards, like sprints.
Ironman wrote:Running a mile sounds pointless and it is only going to take away from your lifts. That's probably not the best time to do the running.
As you can see from the above statements, two knowledgeable people can have a difference of opinion on the same topic.
Immortal wrote:THis is why I ask you guys for help, im still a teenager haha, I wanna know should I maybe run a quarter of a mile to warm up? will running 1 mile really hurt my lifting gains? should I save running till after?
My advice is to start the training program without the prior mile run, then add it in after a month or so of training. You'll be able to tell then if the running before lifting helps, hurts or has no effect on your workouts. With the actual experience of lifting without prior running under your belt, you'll be able to make experience-based comparisons with prior running added to your routine. Do the comparison for at least three weeks to rule out temporary fluctuations in your energy levels. Then let us know how you make out.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:06 pm

darn guys yesterday and today I went to the gym and did my respective workouts that I listed above, let me tell you they are a lot tougher than I though, I kept it for an hour and my body was actually hungry afterwards, very very hungry. Im used to doing like 10 rep workouts a lot, but this workout really challenged me a lot

I have to say I like it!, plus its fun lifting heavier, I felt like a cave man today haha, because right afterwards I ate 3 small bananas

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:41 am

Let me explain my remark a little better. Stuward and I really aren't disagreeing on what the run before the workout will do. We just have a different opinion on what that means, and what you should do.

We both know that the mile jog is only going to have a small negative impact on your workout.

Stu says there is noting wrong with it. I say it's pointless. That's really a glass half empty and glass half full kind of thing. He is focusing on the negative being minor. I am focusing on there being no point to doing it. If you notice he didn't say there was any reason to do it.

It looks to me like he is kind of coming at it from the angle of, well, what the hell, if that's what you want to do, it's not really going to have much impact. Where as I agree with that, but I am coming at it from the angle of there being no point in doing it, and that after would be better. I doubt Stu would disagree with that. So, it's just 2 different ways of looking at the exact same information.

So to give the most complete answer, no there isn't anything wrong with it. It would be a negative impact, but it would be a minimal one. So you could do it if you want to. There is no benefit to doing it before, and it would be better to do it afterwords, but the difference is fairly small. Not to mention the benefits of doing it at all are going to be small. Unless of course you just happen to enjoy running, which would than give it a high benefit, but only in so far as you derive pleasure from it.

But it's possible Stu meant something other that what that indicates, so I'll let him speak to that. But reading what he says in the way I take it, based on his wording, I don't disagree with him. I just focused on a different angle.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:32 am

We're in agreemant. Everyone has there own way of warming up and that's all this is. For me it's a 5 minute walk from my parking spot by my office to the gym. Some people ride a bike, some jump right into their workout. Whatever works for you.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Ironman wrote:Running a mile sounds pointless and it is only going to take away from your lifts. That's probably not the best time to do the running.
I agree with Ironman, it's a bit pointless for warming up.

Kenny Croxdale

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:28 pm

I agree about using it as warmup. I didn't mean to say that it was a particularly good thing, I just meant to withdraw my what I said when I thought he was running for an hour!

I was recently looking for stuff on cleans, and found an instructional video, obviously part of a series for HS and college athletes, that advocated 5 to 10 minutes ("depending on ambient temperature") of running as part of a "general warm-up". You see stuff like that a lot, and it still seems silly to me.