Finally enjoying it

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Immortal

Finally enjoying it

Post by Immortal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:16 pm

I know IM probably starting to annoy you experienced people but for the first time ever, I listened to experienced people about lifting and I have to say IM finally enjoying lifting instead of regretting going there!!! like changing up my workouts to pure 5 X 5 routines is more fun than I ever had in the weight room!!!

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Good for you! Are you keeping a journal to track your gains? Seeing numbers go up is on a piece of paper is just awsome lol.

Also reading from your other post, you might want to lower your deadlift volume, to 1x5 instead of 5x5. Do warm up sets of course though.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 pm

You're not annoying anyone. The experienced people here love to lift, and are very happy when someone discovers how much fun it really is.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 pm

ok just a few questions left to get me to understand some other things clearer.. now that I started the 5 X 5 routine, how long should I do it for? And after that, what road do I take from there? Like do I go to heavier weights and do say 5 reps of 3 workouts? Or do I go higher in rep?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:25 am

I'm not sure what your question is. Do you mean how do you progress the weight? If so, just keep increasing it as long as you can make your planned reps. When you get your full 5 sets then next workout add 5 pounds to upper body lifts and 10 pounds to lower body lifts and use that until you can make your planned sets. If you can't get the planned sets within 3 workouts, then decrease the weight 10 to 20%, and carry on. If you get up to the same weight and can't break through to a higher weight, then it's time to change to a periodized program.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:51 am

There is no set answer to that question. It depends on your goals. You might want to keep doing a 5X5 program progression for quite some time. However with other goals you might want to switch between a few different lifting protocols. The first is better for strength, the 2nd is better for bodybuilding. Those aren't your only two options either.

But I can say this. You want to keep doing what you're doing now at least for as long as you keep gaining with it.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:44 am

It's possible for a young person to stay on 5x5 for as long as a year without a significant stall. Once you get 5x5 across, put the weight up as Doc said. The next time you might get 4,4,3,3,2 or something like that. Keep going with that weight until you get 5x5, then repeat with the the increase. A beginner can increase almost every workout, as you get stronger, once a month or so. There will be times that your reps go down at the same weight. If it happens once, it's a bad day. If it goes down twice in a row, that's a sign that you need a break. Take an extra day or so off and try again.

Like Jebus said, some have better results with 1x5 for deadlifts than 5x5. That depends on how heavy your lifts are. At the beginning you may progress faster with 5x5 but if recovery starts to suffer consider changing to 1x5.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:29 pm

how can only 1 set benefit me???

bam

Post by bam » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Immortal wrote:how can only 1 set benefit me???
This article explains it...
http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowV ... ining.html

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Immortal wrote:how can only 1 set benefit me???
It's the deadlift. It plays by its own rules. Some people can handle a large volume of DL, but lots of us can't. For most people, whatever rep-set scheme they use, they find that they have to do less volume on DL if they are going to keep the weight high. Starting Strength uses only one set of 5 on DL.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:56 am

I have to keep the volume low on deadlifts too. They overtrain my lower back very quickly. It would lead to a minor injury that would keep me from training for a week or so.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:10 am

ooo so I straight up walk up to the bar, load it, then dead lift it??? that sounds simple enough

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:20 am

Immortal wrote:ooo so I straight up walk up to the bar, load it, then dead lift it??? that sounds simple enough
You should do a couple of lighter sets for warm up and getting used to the weight.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:21 am

nother quick question, i did low rep v squats yesterday at the end of my workout, is it good to do squats and v squats??? I feel v squats are more controlled so you can still use heavy weight and imo they are good for ending workouts

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:41 am

Immortal wrote:ooo so I straight up walk up to the bar, load it, then dead lift it??? that sounds simple enough
No one is saying not to warm up, just that most people are probably better off with 1 WORKING SET rather than 3 or 5 working sets, (depending on what interpretation of "5x5" you use).