Finally enjoying it

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:42 am

Immortal wrote:nother quick question, i did low rep v squats yesterday at the end of my workout, is it good to do squats and v squats??? I feel v squats are more controlled so you can still use heavy weight and imo they are good for ending workouts
What are "v squats"?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:20 am

Jungledoc wrote:What are "v squats"?
I never heard of them either, so I googled it.

Seems to be a lever hack squat taken really low.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:01 am

Immortal, doing a machine exercise following a free weight exercise is a valid training method. Machine exercises generally focus on the main muscles and ignore the stabilizers. As long as you don't replace the free weight exercises, this can be beneficial. As well, doing unstable variations focus on the stabilizers at the expense of the main muscles. These are important to do as well. If you just do free weights, you will work both main muscles and stabilizers together as they should be used. Therefore, both machine exercises and unstable exercises should be considered accessory lifts and lower priority to free weight exercises.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Thats very simple enough, but for people who are familiar with squatting machines, should I try to do more weight then my squat or try to balance??

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Immortal wrote:Thats very simple enough, but for people who are familiar with squatting machines, should I try to do more weight then my squat or try to balance??
Nearly everyone can move more weight with a machine than with freeweights, since the machines stabilize the weight for you. As long as you train the stabilizer muscles with freeweight squats, the additional machine work shouldn't cause a problem, regardless of the amount of weight you use on the machines.

If you go to a predominantly machine workout, on the other hand, the stabilizer muscles will lag behind the target muscles. Relatively weak stabilizers mean less real-world benefit of the exercises.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:17 pm

so wait should I do 5X5 reps on both the squat and the v squat or cut the sets to both

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:00 pm

When doing 5x5, you still do 5x5 on deadlifts, but only the last set comes to close to maxing you out.

For example, maybe you do a warm up set with 135. Then you do 5x5 ramping up the weight on each of the 5 sets.

You can do a couple sets of Romanian deadlift and maybe a set or two of leg curls to round out ham/hip training.

You should do just the regular squats 5x5. If you want, you can add leg press to it, but maybe do 3x8 or some thing like that.

A leg routine for advanced bodybuilding might be something like this.
squat, Romanian deadlift both 5x5
calf raise 8x6-12
leg press 3x6-8
leg curl 3x6-8

You'll have trouble walking to your car after that one.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:What are "v squats"?
I never heard of them either, so I googled it.

Seems to be a lever hack squat taken really low.
I just think that when someone asks a question about an obscure exercise, they should provide the explanation or the link, and not expect those that they are asking to do the work.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:15 pm

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... s%3Disch:1

sorry I thought u guys would know what it is :(

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:31 pm

I actually tried a V Squat today. The Y has one. I don't usually pay attention to the machines there. I found most of the effort to be in the quads. I suppose you could play with the foot placement to get more hamstring involvement. I does allow you to go deep so you get some glute work in, and the back is supported. That's a double edged feature. It allows you to focus on the legs but with low weights you don't engage the support muscles in your back so it leaves you open to injury. It's probably better to go straight into the heavy weights after your free weight workout.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Immortal wrote:sorry I thought u guys would know what it is :(
The instruction video for the Hammer V-Squat machine doesn't have the narrator going as low as the model on this site's video. On the other hand, going low on hack squats can be done on non-Hammer equipment. Using the term "v squat" to describe a deep hack squat (or a regular hack squat, if that's the case) can lead to confusion.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:26 pm

sp stephen you're saying you liked it? and ya I did that at the end of my routine, and my legs wre sore everywhere, even sitting hurt because my butt cheeks were sore, my ham strings were sore so straightening my legs was a pain and the glute was sore as well, my legs usually dont get sore because theyre used to a lot of pounding, I was impressed!!

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 am

Immortal wrote:sp stephen you're saying you liked it?
No, I'm saying that the way that you use the term "v-squat" is ambiguous. It's hard to offer solid advice to someone when he is being ambiguous.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:45 pm

its called the v squat tho..