take this abs! ka pow pow pow!

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

soulblazer27
Rookie
Rookie

take this abs! ka pow pow pow!

Post by soulblazer27 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:52 pm

k so I was looking around and I can find workouts for abs and all. But i want to know what works best for everyone and what makes your abs just want to die, but feel good at the same time.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Most people here squat and deadlift and don't feel a need for specific ab workouts. However for those wanting some specific accessory work, I would recommend that you train them as hard and as frequently as other muscles. The exercises I like are leg raises, captain's chair and hanging, ab rollouts and turkish getups.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Rec ... Raise.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ket ... Getup.html

Sorry I can't find the ab roller on this site.

I am not this hardcore: Image

bam

Post by bam » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:02 pm

I do these two abs exercises every day I work out - 4 sets of 10. I'm happy with the results.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... ner+crunch
The key is strict form and holding the contraction; my form is a little different than what's described.... it's developed over time to isolate the right muscles. The movements themselves are not dramatic -- the weight moves up 8 inches at the most.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:27 pm

I do a variety, since specific ab strength is highly specific to my sport. They include:

Side bend
Russian twist
Full contact twist
Turkish Get-up
Plank (and all sorts of plank variations)
Pallof press
Plate whoodchop

Plus unlike a lot of folks here I do stuff like situps, hanging leg raises, plate-resisted crunches, bicycle crunches, and so on. There are some very good arguments against them, but when I drop them out my sports performance suffers a bit, IME. I don't think you need them for general ab conditioning, though.

Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gantz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Dragon flagz, ab rollouts, front/side levers.

taifun
n00b
n00b

Post by taifun » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Ab rollouts are great! I prefer doing them on rings vs. on an actual ab roller though, because it's easy to adjust the difficulty: all you have to do is change where you position your feet. With an ab roller, if you can't do full extensions, you have to go from your knees (which is probably way too easy), or find a surface with the right incline.

Plus, with a set of rings, you can move on to front levers once full rollouts get too easy.