Sprinting Increase Endurance?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Sprinting Increase Endurance?

Post by Jebus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Would HIIT or any other form of sprinting increase endurance?

My fitness test for the military is soon, which is mostly endurance. I can't even remember the last time I ran. I was always a good runner in high school, since that was all we did... But anyway I'm just wondering if I should continue training the way I am with HIIT or switch to endurance training. Also if I were to continue sprinting, would once a week be good enough, keep in mind I'm weight training 3x week.

My appointmen is October 19.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:30 pm

It can and will increase endurance in untrained/novices, but the principle of specificity kind of comes in to play here - if you need to run a certain distance, then you should just run that distance (or slowly work up volume until you can).

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:40 pm

Thanks Nightfall, I'm pretty sure the distance is 2.4 km or something. But on the Regiments website it says I must run for 10 minutes withought stopping or passing out.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Jebus wrote:Thanks Nightfall, I'm pretty sure the distance is 2.4 km or something. But on the Regiments website it says I must run for 10 minutes withought stopping or passing out.
Yeah that shouldn't be hard at all, 1.5 miles - at an 8min/mile (decent pace) it's about 12 minutes.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:10 am

HIIT has also been shown to be beneficial to elite endurance athletes as well compared to continuous running. The main mechanism is basically increasing the lactate threshold but there's a tonne of interesting studies on it recently.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:18 am

Nevage wrote:HIIT has also been shown to be beneficial to elite endurance athletes as well compared to continuous running. The main mechanism is basically increasing the lactate threshold but there's a tonne of interesting studies on it recently.
I don't doubt that in the least, but the point is that - if you don't ever actually RUN the distance you're aiming to compete/etc. at, you're not going to be very good at it when you do.

Considering HIIT like an assistance exercise for endurance training.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Jebus wrote:My appointmen is October 19.
That doesn't give you much time to train. You should just focus on the specific training like NightFall said.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:12 pm

:eek: That's next week! If it was me, I'd do as the others said and just keep going over the distance, getting used to it and getting a feel for pace etc.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Then thats what I'll do. lol It would be kinda fun to just go in there and have it go something like this.

Recruiter: So, you ready for the next test, you have to run constantly for 10 min, have you been doing any endurance training?
Me: Nope (: I just lift weights and sprint as fast as I can till I fall down. Havent ran for over 2 years.
Recruiter: Well, good luck, GO!

Then I finish with a new record and he's just standing there like wtf just happend.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:30 am

train anaerobic, that will get you in shape faster than straight out endurance or HIIT. Example...

run as hard as you can as fast as you can for 1 lap, rest 2-3 minutes (rest time varies depending on what kind of shape you are in..listen to your body), then repeat until you start slowing down (you can do this for like 10-15-20 minutes depending on when you start slowing down). then you want to take at least 48 hours rest before repeating. Endurance training (aerobic), you can do that everyday if you like, but the fastest way to improve your endurance is anaerobic training with running hard, resting, running hard, resting. You dont have to do 1 lap hard if you dont want to..you can do from pole to resting 2 poles walking, then pole sprint hard again, resting 2 poles walking, etc. or resting 1 pole if you recover fast enough. 1 pole equals 50 meters. or you can sprint 2 poles, rest 2-3 poles, etc. or even half a lap...whatever you want to do.

Try anaerobic and watch your endurance get better faster than just straight out boring endurance running for 20-30 minutes a day. You want to improve your endurance faster? anaerobic training is the way to go

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:16 am

Jebus wrote:Then thats what I'll do. lol It would be kinda fun to just go in there and have it go something like this.

Recruiter: So, you ready for the next test, you have to run constantly for 10 min, have you been doing any endurance training?
Me: Nope (: I just lift weights and sprint as fast as I can till I fall down. Havent ran for over 2 years.
Recruiter: Well, good luck, GO!

Then I finish with a new record and he's just standing there like wtf just happend.
Well done. Of course no one here is surprised.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:03 pm

caangelxox wrote:train anaerobic, that will get you in shape faster than straight out endurance or HIIT. Example...

run as hard as you can as fast as you can for 1 lap, rest 2-3 minutes (rest time varies depending on what kind of shape you are in..listen to your body), then repeat until you start slowing down (you can do this for like 10-15-20 minutes depending on when you start slowing down). then you want to take at least 48 hours rest before repeating. Endurance training (aerobic), you can do that everyday if you like, but the fastest way to improve your endurance is anaerobic training with running hard, resting, running hard, resting. You dont have to do 1 lap hard if you dont want to..you can do from pole to resting 2 poles walking, then pole sprint hard again, resting 2 poles walking, etc. or resting 1 pole if you recover fast enough. 1 pole equals 50 meters. or you can sprint 2 poles, rest 2-3 poles, etc. or even half a lap...whatever you want to do.

Try anaerobic and watch your endurance get better faster than just straight out boring endurance running for 20-30 minutes a day. You want to improve your endurance faster? anaerobic training is the way to go

Okay, so what I'm hearing here is that we shouldn't do HIIT, but we should do something that you're not calling HIIT, but is exactly the same thing as HIIT. Makes sense.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Haffy13 wrote: Okay, so what I'm hearing here is that we shouldn't do HIIT, but we should do something that you're not calling HIIT, but is exactly the same thing as HIIT. Makes sense.
Exactly what I was thinking lol.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:54 pm

caangelxox wrote:train anaerobic, that will get you in shape faster than straight out endurance or HIIT. Example...

Angel--that IS HIIT!!!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 am

I think the difference is that you literally rest, rather than jog like you do with HIIT. So it's sprinting done in the format of weight lifting. You sprint for whatever distance. Then you rest for 2 or 3 minuted and sprint back.

I don't know if it's better, but it is different.