A light week to offer a guaranteed recovery?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

A light week to offer a guaranteed recovery?

Post by RobertB » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:42 am

Hello guys -

depending on how much you follow every bit of info I post ( :wink: ) you may be aware im going to go for something like texas method as soon as I have my Fitday sorted (so I can get my diet measured properly)

But the reason I'm going to texas method is I was burning out slightly on the novice x3 full body max lifts

last week and this week I've not been too bad, couple of gains (OHP/deadlift again) and don't feel as tired - I'm still gunna go for the periodization asap but my question is....

Since I have a slight (shouldn't take long to fix) elbow area injury stopping me doing pull ups - and I'm going to change programs, would a week of noticably light work be a good idea to transition the programs, ensuring I am fully recovered - or is this going overboard in terms of recovery (one does get excited/carried away reading Practical Programming :smile:)

I've heard of advanced peeps taking a week off if they smell a hint of overtraining but as I say, I'm not sure I'm overdoing the recovery mentality.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:54 am

You could try light with low volume for a week. That should do the trick.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:24 am

In fact, it's a good idea for most people to stick in a light ("deload") week periodically. I do it every 4th week. I say "most"--it's not universal, but helpful to most people.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:44 pm

Due to having shoulder bursitis, I was thinking about taking a week off either every 4 weeks, 6 weeks, or 8 weeks. However, this seems like a better solution. So, could you recommend what % of 1RM I should be doing for a deload week and how many reps?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Roughly 50. Wendler recommends a set at 40%, one at 50% and 1 at 60%.

Or you can cut the reps. Or a little of each. Or do completely different exercises that week (but go easy on them). It can be a good time to experiment with new lifts, or something you haven't done for a while. You can choose lifts that are intended to be complimentary to your regular lifts, or completely different.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:00 am

Would that be 5 reps at 40%, 3 at 50% and 1 at 60% similar to warmups Starting Strength style? I'm also wondering How often I should take a week off and do this? My program is basically going to be heavy lifting twice a week, HIIT twice a week, Circuit training once a week, and light cardio on off days, but I'm easing into that due to my shoulders.

Thanks Doc

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:25 am

To deload once a month for a week seems a bit much for me but I can't say I have the education to disagree. To compensate for three weeks work with a full light week, would that not suggest that the three weeks before are being overdone?

I guess periodization is just that however, as long as it allows for heavy/light/rest, set it up how you like/how it works.

I just have a mentality that although rest is 110% required, so is consistent disruption, and would be scared that 9 days off/light per 30 would leave a bit too much?

This is assuming no issues such as the shoulder though - I won't even pass anything more than observation on injury posts/comments since I've never dealt with them.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:26 am

For the most part it works out well for me. If my workouts have been interrupted by life, work, etc., I won't do as long a deload.

At to your questions, I'd suggest you read Cressey, read Wendler, try it for yourself different ways and see what works, then make up your mind.

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:34 am

Haffy13 wrote:Would that be 5 reps at 40%, 3 at 50% and 1 at 60% similar to warmups Starting Strength style? I'm also wondering How often I should take a week off and do this? My program is basically going to be heavy lifting twice a week, HIIT twice a week, Circuit training once a week, and light cardio on off days, but I'm easing into that due to my shoulders.

Thanks Doc
Wendler says do 3 sets of 5 on the big lifts, I believe at the 40, 50 and 60%, the same percentages as he recommends for your your warmup.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:40 am

Jungledoc wrote:For the most part it works out well for me. If my workouts have been interrupted by life, work, etc., I won't do as long a deload.

At to your questions, I'd suggest you read Cressey, read Wendler, try it for yourself different ways and see what works, then make up your mind.
I would very much like to do that, but could you provide with more specifics of what to read by them and where to find said reading material.

Thanks

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:55 am

For Wendler, I was thinking he had a chapter on deload in 5/3/1, but as I look at it, the discussion is all mixed into the text. Several comments in the FAQ section. Cressey has a whole book on the subject called "The Art of the Deload".

I Googled "weight training deload" and got lots of results, much of which included the word "download". Maybe that's the same thing! I did an advanced search to exclude that, and got several good articles. One http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... =121391461 is a post on a forum on Bodybuilding.com, but seemed very good to me, for a brief summary.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:57 am

Oh, yeah. The 5/3/1 manual is available as an ebook from the EFTS site, and Cressey's book is also an ebook available on his site.