Weightlifting and aggression?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Rucifer

Weightlifting and aggression?

Post by Rucifer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm

I don't know if this belongs in this forum or the psychology board but no one seems to look there much so I decided to post it here-

Anyone here feel this way? I know this is mostly a pro-weightlifting board in terms of whose on here, so it might be good to get some insight on my probs in this area. Now first off I just wanna note that this is not meant to knock or completely write off weightlifting. It is more meant as a simple con that I have experienced since I got into weightlifting.

Now do I mean aggression as in I want to go out starting fights with strangers or beating up my family and friends in an argument? Hell no. I mean being incredibly more irritable to probs that might normally just slightly miff me, but when I'm frequently strength training, I get downright angry at them. Has anyone else experience this? Like it was really, really bad before, when I know I was doing way too much (not too mention wreaking havoc on my body that I still haven't recovered from). I eventually had to stop weightlifting for awhile, gave myself a couple of months break after about 4 years of doing it wrong, to about one of right, but it was too late and my body needed a break from those four wrong years. And I recently decided to get back into it, and the same probs are appearing again. Maybe I'm just needing a bigger break? Maybe its the testosterone production? I don't know, but it sucks because I want to freaking bulk up, but don't want to let it ruin my life and be mr grumpy. So I am at a point where I'm thinking of just dropping down to focusing on muscular endurance for awhile...or just stopping altogether. Sometimes I can chalk up the angriness to just a bad day or that's how I would have reacted no matter what- but one things for sure over the sumnmer when I wasn't weightlifting, it got better (of course, my body was looking worse).

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Edit- and by weightlifting, I mean the the typical 8-12 reps 3 sets 4 or 5 days a week for the first 4 years, and the past year has been focused on lower reps and sets with higher weight.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:27 pm

I don't push my self hard weightlifting, but generally, it relaxes me. Sitting at this desk all day is what makes me want to punch walls.

bam

Post by bam » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:14 pm

After I finish my deadlift day (that's 5/3/1 and 5x10 lighter deadlifts) I then go shopping. I do feel the urge to knock heads when normally I would just go with the flow.

I've been thinking about learning how to speed bag.

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:33 pm

i've been quite impressed by the variety of activity in your journal, which i think are diverse and fun. it seems these choices are in part about avoiding moods.

i think self awareness and ability to self monitor and modify your behaviour accordingly are very useful characteristics.

i know this doesn't help with your desired training goal, but mental and personal development is as valuable as fitness achievements, they're just not as visible. both can be achieved through trial and testing.

i'm not sure if there's any authoritative info in this link [ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/archive/i ... 02561.html ], but there's some interesting citations and a bit of a polite exchange on the topic of weight training, mood and testosterone.

I think don't stop training, keep changing.
Last edited by robt-aus on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:34 pm

I would say that overall, I have the opposite reaction when lifting. My spirits are better and overall, I'm in a better mood.

This is part of the reason, why I enjoy lifting. It's a good stress releiver for me.

Cliff

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 pm

The feeling I get after lifting is one of the main reasons why I do it. It's basically a high. Another reason why I do it is because if I didn't, I start getting depressed about how weak I must be, muscle dysmorphia etc. I know thats not healthy but to me, it keeps me in the gym and that IS healthy so it works out.

I can relate to your aggressiveness in a couple of ways. Firstly, when I'm pumped or feel big (ie hit a PR) I won't stand for $#!T when I'm out and about (got a black eye at the moment as a consequence of standing up for the missus, (could probably do with pdellorto's skills and maybe all 4 would be at my peril!)). Secondly, I do tend to get a shorter temper, but I find this only happens when I workout more times a week than when I don't. It's something I've noticed lately, but I also notice a few other factors involved. A lack of sleep does it for me, when that's combined with weights, don't Pi$$ me off! Also, alcohol (didn't mention it in the above situation) is ridiculous if you're feeling like this. I tend to like the aggression though because usally I'm very relaxed, so much so people comment on my laid back-ness. Does tend to make me feel more like a man when the testosterones pumping!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:17 am

Only while I'm doing my set. Otherwise not at all.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:47 am

I get the opposite effect. It completely chills me out. I get comments all the time about how laid back I am, and how nothing seems to bother me. However before I started training consistently, I had a bit of a chip on my shoulder. At that time, I would lose it quite easily. However, since i've been training, there's several things i've just walked away from that would have most people going nuts. I just don't see the point anymore. I think i've lost my temper once in the last 6 or so years. The past 3-6 months have been especially testing but, all it's done is lay the groundwork for some amazing training sessions. When it was at it's worse, I deadlifted heavy 4 times in one week and trained an extra 2 days that week. I felt like crap for about 10 days after it but, at the time it was just what I needed and most likely saved someone their teeth, or me a prison sentence, so it's a good deal when you think about it. I've broke PR's despite a serious lack of sleep and food. You don't need calories when you have ammonia and some built up aggression :lol: .

I would say it's essential for me. I often say i'd probably be nuts if I didn't train.

This reminds me of a quote from 5-3-1,

"Dealing with the idiots at work or your boss will no longer be an issue. It’s hard to bring a man down after he’s had three weeks of personal records in the gym. It’s hard to get mad at the guy who cuts you off in traffic after you’ve left your lunch on top of the hill after bear crawling up it. Who cares about all that meaningless stuff? When your training and your life are moving forward, you certainly won’t."

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 am

I'm thinking that you young guys are going through some normal changes at this time in your lives. You're working out how you are going to continue to deal with the world and it's problems. KPj, I'm guessing that you would have calmed down over the past few years even if you weren't lifting. You are finding a more mature and more successful way of dealing with problems and frustrations.

Ruci--I'd suggest that you look beyond lifting and into yourself as you search out the roots of your aggressive feelings. Our emotions arise from our attitudes, and we can control and shape our attitudes.

Having said that, I'm mainly with the folk who feel better after lifting. The more frustrating or difficult the work day is, the more I feel I need to lift. I get much more frustrated if it's a planned lifting day, and the circumstances of my life keep me out of the gym.

JimKe
n00b
n00b

Post by JimKe » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Rucifer--

When I was in my twenties, my buddy and I would go to the weightroom and would comment on how much more aggressive and irritable we felt-esp. in the gym! We felt like kicking the a$$ of anyone who even looked at us funny. Usually those feelings would subside a few hours after workout. I chalked it up to testosterone spikes with a little ego thrown in.

Now that I'm older, I don't get those feelings at all, and of course my T levels are nowhere near where they were. Now lifting is a relief from stress, like the other fellas mentioned.

IMO, if you're young, don't worry too much about the increased aggression, unless you feel it's really disrupting your life. You can always find healthy outlets for those potentially dangerous feelings. However, if you're older or the feelings are more than you can handle, definitely take Doc's advice and even seek some professional help if necessary.

Good luck!

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:36 pm

KPJ's quote from the 5/3/1 manual about "It’s hard to get mad at the guy who cuts you off in traffic after you’ve left your lunch on top of the hill after bear crawling up it." rings true to me, I just finished 20 minutes of up hill sprints and I'm pretty damn mellow.

If you don't already, you might try some HIIT style training a couple of times a week.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Up until maybe may of this year, yeah... I was fired up and lifting made it more so.

Then something happened. I stopped being super pumped for every little PR, and started seeing the big picture.

Now, lifting calms me down.

The more time under the bar the calmer I get.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks for the responses. Like most of you weightlifting used to make me feel great. A calmer person. But I think I did too much for too long, especially since I was a typical american teenager of today and didn't spend much time after early childhood involved in physical activities, and found the loveable world of nerdom (video games, way too much TV, etc). I'm not gonna give up strength training but for the time being, cut down and maybe do bodyweight/dumbbell circuits instead so my muscles don't completely atrophy. Eventually I'm gonna get back into it, but no harm in taking a couple months off or whatever break I feel I need.

And Doc- I definitely think my sweating of the small stuff isn't helping. I've been coming to grips with that over the past year and have made tremendous strides. But obviously, there's still room for improvement. I can actually admit to my current partner that I am stubborn and am bothered by stuff I shouldn't be, which are things 5 years ago I wouldn't be caught dead saying. Heh.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:56 am

weighlifting puts me in a great mood, no matter what sort of day I've had, when I get out the gym I feel great. It's the only solo pasttime I have guaranteed to put a smile on my face