Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

jackthestrat
Novice
Novice

Squat Question

Post by jackthestrat » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:53 am

Hi guys.

Lately I have found that when I squat I'm getting a lot of explosive force behind the lift, and sometimes at the top of the squat the bar is "popping" off my shoulders, perhaps a half inch or so. Is this a negative thing? It does not appear to be affecting my form.

It's an accelleration thing - about 2 inches off parallel I just suddenly speed up, and by the time I'm up top the bar is moving so fast that it gets some airtime.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:54 am

try and pull the bar into your shoulders, it's not a good thing for it to be jumping about

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:28 am

If you can go that explosively it's time to up the weight!

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Can deffinitly be a flaw in your form - just not getting tight enough. I was called out on this the other week doing speed squats. I had about 60% of my 1RM on my back, but played around with form from an empty bar an up before getting to 60%, so this was plenty, but the bar kept jumping up and bashing my neck. Previous to that I thought I done a good job of pulling the bar into my back but turns out I wasn't. Consciously pulling the bar in to your back throughout the ROM will fix it - this engages your lats more, which tightens up your core more, which makes you awesome :grin:

KPj

jackthestrat
Novice
Novice

Post by jackthestrat » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:48 pm

KPj wrote:Can deffinitly be a flaw in your form - just not getting tight enough. I was called out on this the other week doing speed squats. I had about 60% of my 1RM on my back, but played around with form from an empty bar an up before getting to 60%, so this was plenty, but the bar kept jumping up and bashing my neck. Previous to that I thought I done a good job of pulling the bar into my back but turns out I wasn't. Consciously pulling the bar in to your back throughout the ROM will fix it - this engages your lats more, which tightens up your core more, which makes you awesome :grin:

KPj
I'll put it in tighter - I didn't think it was possible for me to be more awesome than I am, but you have given me hope. Thanks!