preparing your shoulders for a workout

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

preparing your shoulders for a workout

Post by robertscott » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:08 am

what's a good way to warm up your shoulders so they can handle a heavy pressing session?

Mobility drills? Stretches? Anyone have a good one?

My warm-up is pretty much non-existent, and I think it's doing my shoulders a lot of damage jumping straight into heavy sets of presses

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:18 am

I usually just start with a few light, higher rep sets. For example, if I'm benching I'll do sets of 135 lbs for 12, 225 lbs for 8 and 275 lbs for 5 before starting my three working sets.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 am

What I'm doing is obviously inadequate. Shoulder rotations followed by unweighted chin ups, then specific warmups as Matt said. I used to do shoulder dislocates back when I did more Olympic type stuff and I stopped. I should have kept it in. I think my rotator cuff would have appreciated it.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:35 am

My 61 YO shoulders have been aching, and complaining a lot in the past few years. I've found light snatches and overhead squats pretty good at lossening things up and promoting flexibility, and do some before any workout. In addition, I ran across this on you tube, and seeing as I have some light KB's, I've been using this sequence with good results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdm5KEkh ... kettlebell
Tim

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:18 am

thanks for the replies guys, I think what I'll start doing is making a point of doing a few sets of YTWLIs, wall slides and light snatches before my presses. Also probably a set or two with a really light dumbell just to get the shoulders warm.

I'm also going to take a look at that kettlebell warm-up too, I'm at uni just now and can't get the video to load but I'm anticipating it eagerly. My gym just got some kettlebells, not very heavy, but I'm sure it's worth a go.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:37 am

just found this little beauty

http://www.dieselcrew.com/5-minute-shou ... -exercises

going to start doing this every day. Those diesel crew boys are some strong SOBs.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:05 am

I always do a dynamic warm up and have a few movements that really make me feel good.

Some staples are,

Side lying Extension Rotation, Reach Roll & lift, Scap push ups, Wall slides, band pull aparts (i'll do these across my chest and behind the neck). There's others I use but these are staples and I don't feel right if I don't do them.

I'll also always start with an empty bar and do various reps till i feel my "groove". Then i'll go to 40KG and do 3-5 reps. Just depends how solid it feels. On occasion I'll get a little discomfort (i.e. a little tightness feeling in the shoulder) when I get to 40-60KG so i'll do another set with the same weight. If it feels good i'll start moving up again. I can normally tell when I get to about 60KG whether it's going to be a good pressing day or not.

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:57 am

Robert, I'm at work so I can't see videos. Does that site have a video with the program? Some of the exercises could use a description. I haven't seen Corkscrew Shoulder Twists before.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:35 am

stuward wrote:Robert, I'm at work so I can't see videos. Does that site have a video with the program? Some of the exercises could use a description. I haven't seen Corkscrew Shoulder Twists before.
sure does Stu, haven't watched it yet because it's taking forever to load but I'll report back

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:50 am

KPj wrote:I always do a dynamic warm up and have a few movements that really make me feel good.

Some staples are,

Side lying Extension Rotation, Reach Roll & lift, Scap push ups, Wall slides, band pull aparts (i'll do these across my chest and behind the neck). There's others I use but these are staples and I don't feel right if I don't do them.

I'll also always start with an empty bar and do various reps till i feel my "groove". Then i'll go to 40KG and do 3-5 reps. Just depends how solid it feels. On occasion I'll get a little discomfort (i.e. a little tightness feeling in the shoulder) when I get to 40-60KG so i'll do another set with the same weight. If it feels good i'll start moving up again. I can normally tell when I get to about 60KG whether it's going to be a good pressing day or not.

KPj
any videos of the side lying extension rotation and the reach, roll and lift?

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:08 am

Cressey with side lying ext rot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAnAYSH_jM

Someone I don't know of doing reach roll and lift (just activated lower traps by training upward rotation of the scap)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymz3d9jeK6s

btw most people I come across with shoulder pain can barely lift the hand off the ground in reach roll and lift.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 am

cheers pal, I'll give those a try

and Stu I watched the video, it's really good. The corkscrew things are going to get some funny looks in the gym.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:55 am

robertscott wrote:cheers pal, I'll give those a try

and Stu I watched the video, it's really good. The corkscrew things are going to get some funny looks in the gym.
That's a bonus!

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:09 am

well I did the diesel crew warm up last night... Wam up? It's practically a workout in itself! I was ruined afterwards, shoulders burning with lactic acid. Too early to tell really if it's doing me any good but it did expose some serious flexibility issues I need to work on

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:38 pm

For warming up shoulders for my military-press workout, I do around 6 sets of 5 reps with 135 lbs. Then I add two 10-lb. plates and work from there.