zma??

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Immortal

zma??

Post by Immortal » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:10 pm

does zma work? the supplement with Zinc magnessium aspartate, and b6. People say its for natural t level and better sleep

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: zma??

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Immortal wrote:does zma work? the supplement with Zinc magnessium aspartate, and b6. People say its for natural t level and better sleep
Magnesium and zinc are two essential minerals that are often deficient in the diets of most Americans. It's better to get them by eating whole foods rather than taking supplements. There is scientific evidence that magnesium aids in sleep, but the testosterone-boosting effect of zma hasn't been confirmed yet:
A 1999 study was undertaken on NCAA Football players during an 8 week spring training program. The control group was told to cease taking any nutritional supplements. Those who took the ZMA tablets claimed greater increases in muscle strength[citation needed]. This study was funded by SNAC Systems Inc. (the patent holders) and one of the study's authors (Victor Conte) has equity in this company.

In 2004, a study funded by a research grant from Cytodyne (another supplement producing company) with 42 resistance trained males showed that ZMA supplementation had no significant effects on total and free testosterone, IGF-1, growth hormone, cortisol, the ratio of cortisol to testosterone, or muscle and liver enzymes in response to training. No significant effects were observed in changes in strength, upper or lower body muscle endurance, or anaerobic sprint capacity [3].

In another study done in 2006, a team of German scientists conducted a study on the effect of ZMA and testosterone levels in the body[4]. The result showed an increase in zinc secretions in urine making it much darker like blood, but no effect on the level of testosterone in the body.
The stuff doesn't cost much as far as most supplements go ( less than 50 cents a day here), so feel free to try it and see how you respond to it.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 pm

OK thank you, Ill update you guys about my me ience

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:44 pm

I tried it a few times, made me stay up all night

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:26 am

I've been taking one nightly for a while (one cheap bottle has like 240 pills or something) - never noticed any difference, so I guess I was probably getting enough zinc/magnesium elsewhere already.