SS question

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

xshawnxearthx

SS question

Post by xshawnxearthx » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 am

Is there a certain formula to figure out a good weight to start the program at? They want you to start with a light weight, but I don't want to start too light. Starting light with the squats would be good to help me rehab my knee, but I don't want to go crazy with going low on DL and BP.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:52 am

My understanding is to use a weight that does not slow your bar speed down by much at all between the three work sets. Im sure you know your stuff but the weight comes on fast enough anyway but *shrug* I guess slowing down a little in the last 3 reps would be fine.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:48 pm

RobertB wrote:My understanding is to use a weight that does not slow your bar speed down by much at all between the three work sets. Im sure you know your stuff but the weight comes on fast enough anyway but *shrug* I guess slowing down a little in the last 3 reps would be fine.
This.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Rip says that you start with an empty bar, or a very light weight. Then you add 10 or 20 pounds to the bar for sets of 5 until you find a weight where the bar speed slows, then you use that for your next workout 5x5.