Coffee?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Post Reply
User avatar
KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Location: New York, USA
Contact:

Coffee?

Post by KenDowns » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:32 pm

I've got a question about coffee.

Being a complete beginner, and one of those guys who never had to worry about what he ate, you can safely assume that if its bad for you I've done it or am still doing it. I understand that a true health-oriented lifting program is going to change diet and rest, but the sheer volume of changes I seem to need to make is making my head spin, so I'm trying to start with specifics.

I suspect I drink way too much coffee.

This starts with an ongoing debate between myself and my wife. She is a Physician and as much a Type-A go-go-go person as you'll ever meet. She is always quoting studies saying coffee is nothing but good. I joke with her that she sounds like Freud talking about Cocaine. (In fact she just walked by and joked she is probably rationalizing her own coffee drinking). But the fact is she is the only expert I know.

I used to drink 6-10 cups of coffee a day. I "dropped" to four in the morning and one at night. Given how important rest and diet are, I wonder if coffee is suppressing my appetite and reducing the benefits of sleep.

Any opinions?


User avatar
nygmen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Mass, USA

Post by nygmen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Coffee is a gift from a higher power, its only rival is Diet Coke.

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Coffee?

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:32 pm

KenDowns wrote:I used to drink 6-10 cups of coffee a day. I "dropped" to four in the morning and one at night. Given how important rest and diet are, I wonder if coffee is suppressing my appetite and reducing the benefits of sleep.

Any opinions?
I suspect that the effect of coffee is idiosyncratic for many people - we aren't all made from the same cookie cutter.

If a person is drinking more than 6 cups of coffee a day - and is doing it to keep up energy of mental alertness - there probably are sleep issues that have to be investigated, most notably sleep apnea. If you're waking up feeling really fatigued, the quality of your sleep sucks. And drinking too much coffee can get someone caught in a vicious cycle of poor sleep quality and excessive fatigue while awake.

That said, the Health Police - who don't like the idea of anyone consuming caffeine in any amount - might be shocked at this bit of information:
A growing body of research shows that coffee drinkers, compared to nondrinkers, are:

* less likely to have type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and dementia
* have fewer cases of certain cancers, heart rhythm problems, and strokes

“There is certainly much more good news than bad news, in terms of coffee and health,” says Frank Hu, MD, MPH, PhD, nutrition and epidemiology professor at the Harvard School of Public Health.
You have to use your head when drinking coffee. A lot of people eat a lot of sweets and junk carbs in the morning or for lunch that causes a blood sugar crash several hours later. That forces them to drink coffee to stay alert. If you eat a lot of high glycemic foods, stop.

Rucifer
Member
Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by Rucifer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:22 am

I recently quit drinking all caffeine, but only because if I do drink it, I get to the level you are at way to easily. And at that level it was giving me diarrhea all the time and instead of giving me energy, I always felt run down. And of course, very excited and irritable most of the time. So I decided to quit. Way harder for me than it was to quit smoking. I don't think that caffeine is as harmless as a lot of medical authorities make it out to be, even if you only just consider the withdrawl effects.

But anyhow, I'd say if you drop down to a cup or two a day, you should be fine.

Nevage
Member
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Nevage » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:55 am

I've recently taking caffeine pre workout. Other than that I never have caffeine, not a fan of coffee, don't drink fizzy drinks etc. The weird thing is, I'm so tolerant to it. Even if i drink a lot of coffee it doesn't do much to me, the pure caffeine pre workout doesn't do too much. Just enouh for a mental boost but I've got hyper or anything of it.


User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Coffee?

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:22 pm

KenDowns wrote:I suspect I drink way too much coffee.
This sentence makes no sense to me. You seem to be saying that you suspect that you drink way too much coffee. There is no such thing.
KenDowns wrote:She is always quoting studies saying coffee is nothing but good...But the fact is she is the only expert I know.
Your wife is a wise woman, probably beautiful, too. Coffee makes you beautiful, you know. Listen to and obey her.
KenDowns wrote:I used to drink 6-10 cups of coffee a day. I "dropped" to four in the morning and one at night.
Wait a second. This started out to be a discussion of drinking too much coffee. Now you say you are merely talking about 6-10 CUPS per day? Not POTS? Phsssst! Trivial.
KenDowns wrote:Given how important rest and diet are, I wonder if coffee is suppressing my appetite and reducing the benefits of sleep.

Any opinions?
Well, I suppose you could cut it out in the evenings, and see if that improved your sleep. It does for me, but I'm elderly. When I was young I could drink it any time of the day or night, and still sleep whenever and wherever I had the chance, but as I've aged, I have to regulate it a bit.

Rucifer
Member
Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Coffee?

Post by Rucifer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
KenDowns wrote:I suspect I drink way too much coffee.
This sentence makes no sense to me. You seem to be saying that you suspect that you drink way too much coffee. There is no such thing.
KenDowns wrote:She is always quoting studies saying coffee is nothing but good...But the fact is she is the only expert I know.
Your wife is a wise woman, probably beautiful, too. Coffee makes you beautiful, you know. Listen to and obey her.
KenDowns wrote:I used to drink 6-10 cups of coffee a day. I "dropped" to four in the morning and one at night.
Wait a second. This started out to be a discussion of drinking too much coffee. Now you say you are merely talking about 6-10 CUPS per day? Not POTS? Phsssst! Trivial.
KenDowns wrote:Given how important rest and diet are, I wonder if coffee is suppressing my appetite and reducing the benefits of sleep.

Any opinions?
Well, I suppose you could cut it out in the evenings, and see if that improved your sleep. It does for me, but I'm elderly. When I was young I could drink it any time of the day or night, and still sleep whenever and wherever I had the chance, but as I've aged, I have to regulate it a bit.
Coffee has no bad side effects...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYgYVxFX ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJn5MrBy1A0


Post Reply