Plan Next Week's Training for Me

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:27 am

Hmmm...those sound like man-makers into a chinup, actually.

http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20051123

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:15 am

Jungledoc wrote:So, I was pretty sore after Monday's workout, so I rested Tuesday, and lifted today. This is the second workout that y'all helped me plan.

Today I started with the complex that Immortal suggested with the additions that TimD suggested, so it went pushup on a pair of dumbells (25s), "rebel rows" (one row with each hand), burpee, DB curls, DB presses, put the bells down and did one chinup. I did a couple just to try it out, and then 3 sets of 6. That pretty well wiped me, just to show you the state of my GPP at the moment.

Next I did lateral raises, thanks to NightFall's suggestion. It's not something I have done very often, and he was right, it hits the lateral head better than anything else, and it would probably be a good accessory lift for me to have in my routine often. I have shoulder issues, and if I lift directly to the side my bicipital tendon get's caught under the acromion, and then snaps out about half-way down the eccentric. I keep my arms in about 30 degrees of flexion, and keep my elbows flexed about 30 degrees, and it goes smoothly. 5 sets of 10 with 11-pound DBs was all I could do, but it was just right. One more rep would have been pretty sloppy.

Finally, although I originally said that my usual lifts were out for this week, I did some BB bench.

I'll probably take tomorrow off, because Q lifted yesterday, and tomorrow would make it 4 in a row for him.
Yeah, whenever you do DB Laterals always have the elbows bent a little bit in. 30 degree is pretty much perfect.

I've always had pain if i keep arms full extended, but just a little bend with the focus on moving the elbows up helps me hit them pretty well.

They're obviously a fairly aesthetic muscle, as in functional training I think they're used mostly for stability of shoulder/chest exercises.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:49 pm

hey jungle, i dont know if this is polite to ask or anything, but what are your numbers? like how much can you bench, squat, deadlift, powerclean, snatch, curl,and like military press? im sorry but I thought it would be interesting to know. I honestly have been on this forum for a few months and havent even asked those type of questions... o and how much do you weigh.. sorry I ask you becaus you seem to be the most experienced

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:58 pm

He has a training log.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:02 am

Immortal wrote:hey jungle, i dont know if this is polite to ask or anything, but what are your numbers? like how much can you bench, squat, deadlift, powerclean, snatch, curl,and like military press? im sorry but I thought it would be interesting to know. I honestly have been on this forum for a few months and havent even asked those type of questions... o and how much do you weigh.. sorry I ask you becaus you seem to be the most experienced
I bench about 350, squat 425, deadlift 675, power clean 230, curl the 80-lb DBs, and military 260.

Please don't look at my training log.

:lol:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:10 am

I didn't answer your question about my weight because I couldn't decide which way the lie should go. If I said that I'm really big, then the numbers I quoted would be more believable.

I'm not the most experienced, just the most loquacious. That means I talk (or in this case write) a lot. I've only been lifting a few years, started pretty late in life. I'm now in my late 50s. My real numbers aren't anywhere like what I said, and feel free to look at my log to see what I really do.

I'm stronger than I used to be, and not as strong as I'm going to be. My main goal it to keep improving for as long as I can!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:26 am

Vacation is coming to an end.

Today I did BB rows s MattZ suggested. Then DB snatches, as per Peter's suggestion. I had decided against Tim's suggestion to snatch, since, as I reasoned, I don't know how to snatch. But I got thinking that I know what is involved in the snatch, know it well enough to learn, so I tried some. All in all, a decent workout without killing myself.