Power Cleans and Seizures!?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Power Cleans and Seizures!?

Post by Jebus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:06 pm

I did Power Cleans today, on my fourth set after barely pulling up to my shoulders, I dropped the weight to my hips and started shaking uncontrollably. I tried my hardest not to drop the weights but my grip was weakening with the shaking and I couldnt do anything about it, so I ended up dropping the weights to one side first then the other, all while making a scene. I tried to stand up but I was still shaking. wondering when the hell is this gonna stop! Finally I leaned up against the post behind me and waited it out for a few seconds.

I have never felt this before. Though when dropping the weight to my hips I always feel a head rush and dissiness. Is this normal?

This is my second time doing power cleans. I was so freaked out, I obviously stopped and did front squats after with no ill effect.

Is this some type of seizure or something? Maybe my CNS is all messed up and isnt used to this type of movement?

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:37 pm

it's good you were able to complete the next exercise without trouble - i can't comment about the nature or cause of this experience but with hope you're ok, which is the important bit.

i find i sometimes get a little light headed in my heavy powerclean sets as i hold my breath until the bar is on my shoulders. a short breath fixes this for me.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Deadlifts will do that as well. It's the intense effort, you're forgetting to breath. Some people pass out when the bar is against their throat. That's a different mechanism.

Start over with lower weights and focus on form and breathing. Take a big breath just before the pull, hold it through the lift and breathe out at the catch.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks Stu and Robt-aus, I'll work on my breathing for next week.

I think the guy near me was watching me and thinking, what kind of drug is this guy on.....

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Probably (and I emphasize "probably") not a seizure. Usually (and again, I emphasize "usually") a seizure involves loss of consciousness. This sounds like a "head rush" that most of us experience after a heavy lift with valsalva (breath holding). We don't need a whole discussion of breathing in lifting right now, but many (?most?) lifters hold their breath to help stabilize their spine during a heavy lift. It's usually an OK thing to do. I find that I have adapted to some extent over the years, and don't get as big a rush as I used to, but it still happens, like on a max effort DL or squat.

If you experience this kind of shaking in other circumstances, or if you experience any kind of fainting, please seek medical evaluation.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Deadlifts always get me, I always need to take a seat after a set of them or squats. I've seen some weird flying colours after a set of deadlifts too.

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:23 am

Jebus, I had this exact same thing happen to me today doing deadlifts, Funny thing is, when i 'came to' the first thing i thought of was this thread!!

Belt was probably a notch too tight and held my breath a little too long and bam! 3-4 seconds of squatting over the bar wobbling backwards and forwards then slowly (but not gracefully) fell back onto my ass. narrowly missing the T-bar row with my head. Live (thankfully) and learn (probably not!)

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Here's some more on breathing. I use the Valsalva method but apparently there is a safer way that doesn't involve fainting.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/94350 ... g-weights/

That said. others recommend the Valsalva method as it's instinctual.

http://stronglifts.com/how-you-should-b ... g-weights/
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/traini ... ining.html

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:02 pm

Lyle McDonald seems to have the most sensible, middle-of-the-road explanation. If you are not lifting maximal weight, you can probably maintain adequate abdominal tightness without holding your breath. If it's on the heavy side for you, you can let a little air leak out as you lift. For lower loads, go ahead and exhale slowly on the concentric, but try to keep your abs and back tight. For a 1RM or a very heavy set, hold your breath.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:44 am

To roughly quote Dr McGill - you match the stiffness to the demand of the activity. Sounds the same as what Lyle recommended, too.

I actually like the faint feeling you get after a really heavy lift :grin:

KPj

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:07 am

Nevage wrote:Deadlifts always get me, I always need to take a seat after a set of them or squats. I've seen some weird flying colours after a set of deadlifts too.
Yea same, especially if my strength is good that day (i.e. if im even a tad off, I don't seem to get the same rush as my A-game days) - I never really get dizzyness from sickness (my mom always complains about it) but deadlifts cause persistent dizzyness for a few seconds, sitting down for the 3 minute rest rather than standing up still fixes it though and it doesn't come back.

Most people are more experienced than me here so I'll just say there comments make sense to me for what that's worth *shrug* breathe/take the edge off it a tad.

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:29 am

KPj wrote: I actually like the faint feeling you get after a really heavy lift :grin:

KPj
Me too, although blacking out half way through a rep, i'm not so fond of!!