Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

jtw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yet Another HIIT Question (YAHIITQ)

Post by jtw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Weight lifting and HIIT for fat loss
Short version: I lift maybe 3 days a week, and do cardio maybe 2 other days a week. Should I replace the cardio with a barbell complex HIIT, or mix the two, or does HIIT replace lift days? Or, is calorie-cutting enough given my lifting?

Long version:
I want to incorporate some HIIT into my workouts, but I'm not sure how it should relate to my existing resistance training routine. The goal is to drop about 10 lbs, or at least to look like I did. (28 years old, 5'10" and about 190 lbs). Just a little pudge around the edges that I'd like to eliminate, ya know?

Currently, I'm getting about 3 lifting days per week which roughly follows the Starting Strength program, and it turns into variations on the two workouts below:
1. Squats (285#) - Bench (165) - Deadlift (315) - Pullups
2. Squats - Press (110) - Power clean (135?) - Chinups - Rows

The HIIT program I like best is here:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... r_fat_loss
It calls for 4 days a week which conflicts with my current training so I'm not sure if I should compromise both to get a little of each, or if I should drop one for the other.

Thoughts?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:51 pm

HIIT is a form of cardio, so put it in place of the cardio you're doing now, not the lifting. Do the HIIT on a different day from your lifting, or do it at the end of your workout.

Your diet is more important (I would never say "calorie cutting") for fat loss than the exercise is (but the exercise is still important).

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:59 pm

HIIT can slow recovery times, though. So, if you do sprints or something lower body, make sure it's been a couple days since you did any lower body weight training.

Barbell complexes have to have at least a day between them and you're previous and next workout.. even if it's not near your maximal weight, the fatigue it adds in will hinder recovery and/or your next lifting workout.

I'm a big fan of diet control + weight training only when cutting calories, I don't think any form of cardio is necessary unless you enjoy it.

jtw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jtw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks for the quick answers guys - I didn't really mean "calorie-cutting" as in starving myself. I really just meant general dietary improvements and cleaner eating.

Recovery time is my biggest concern since I had really hoped to use a barbell complex, but it does seem like it would interfere with lifting progress. Maybe I'll make the complexes a weekend thing and go with something on the elliptical between regular workouts.

The link I gave recommends 4 days a week of the complexes, which implies forgoing the regular lifting. I'll mix in 1 a week and see what I get.

Gotta cut down on that beer on the weekend... :red:

Thanks, I'll report back here.

Higgy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Higgy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 pm

I have incorporated HIIT into my program as well. When I was training for the USMC Mudrun I would do sprint HIIT 3 times a week on my non lift days. I am now looking at doing 1 to 2 days of sprint HIIT a week. I found that I was able to drop some fat around the middle and really improved my cardio conditioning in a rather short time frame.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:58 am

well actually guys, hiit is perfect for a leg day, just finish your leg workout and start either sprinting on the treadmill or track. Its actually not bad for building leg muscles either. Ive had no problems doing a few minutes at the end of my workouts :)

Beginner
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Yet Another HIIT Question (YAHIITQ)

Post by Beginner » Sun May 08, 2011 8:40 am

What do you guys think about this HIIT routines - http://www.intervaltraining.net/HiitTraining-30.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? And, is it necessary to do traditional cardio, or it is ok to do only HIIT, two days a week?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun May 08, 2011 11:19 am

Beginner wrote:What do you guys think about this HIIT routines - http://www.intervaltraining.net/HiitTraining-30.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? And, is it necessary to do traditional cardio, or it is ok to do only HIIT, two days a week?
That looks like it was written by some guy with a spreadsheet and a cool graphing software but didn't put any thought into it.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Sun May 08, 2011 1:16 pm

What about some tabata after the workout?
There was an article recently about it on T-nation.
Or finish the workout with a complex/circuit?

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Velcropop » Sun May 08, 2011 6:18 pm

I've been doing Tabata/HIIT after my workouts lately. I usually try and do a big lift (e.g. Squats) followed by a couple of accessory/assistance exercises (Lunges, GHRs) then I walk to the local park and bust out some sprints or tabata involving body squats, burpees, etc.

I've noticed that I've put ON weight in the past month or so even though my diet is fairly good (I have a sneaking suspicion the weight gain is due in part to creatine and otherwise because I've been drinking too much). BUT my waist is smaller and I look/feel slimmer. While I'm playing sport I feel this is an excellent way to train; I'm (generally) getting stronger and my anaerobic fitness is always improving. All I'm going to add now is a couple of days of LSD training and hopefully the weight will drop with some slight changes to my diet (carb-cycling ftw).

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon May 09, 2011 6:27 am

Velcropop wrote:I've been doing Tabata/HIIT after my workouts lately. I usually try and do a big lift (e.g. Squats) followed by a couple of accessory/assistance exercises (Lunges, GHRs) then I walk to the local park and bust out some sprints or tabata involving body squats, burpees, etc.

I've noticed that I've put ON weight in the past month or so even though my diet is fairly good (I have a sneaking suspicion the weight gain is due in part to creatine and otherwise because I've been drinking too much). BUT my waist is smaller and I look/feel slimmer. While I'm playing sport I feel this is an excellent way to train; I'm (generally) getting stronger and my anaerobic fitness is always improving. All I'm going to add now is a couple of days of LSD training and hopefully the weight will drop with some slight changes to my diet (carb-cycling ftw).
I wouldn't worry about the weight. If your performance is improving and your waist is getting smaller, your weight is irrelevant.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon May 09, 2011 8:38 am

stuward wrote:I wouldn't worry about the weight. If your performance is improving and your waist is getting smaller, your weight is irrelevant.
Yes, exactly. Scale number is only one number; if it's going up but your waist is smaller, your performance is improving, and you feel good, why fixate on the number?

The only time weight is relevant is if you have to make weight for a sport. Otherwise, screw it, how do you look and feel?

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Velcropop » Mon May 09, 2011 8:52 pm

You'll have to forgive my references to vanity, given the OPs concerns I think that's why I mentioned it (plus it's always in the back of my mind). One of the main reasons I actually want to lose weight is from a physics perspective: the less weight I have to move or accelerate over a given distance (or arc or whatever) the faster that movement will be accomplished (all things being relative, of course). Dropping kgs would improve my speed and ability to change directions, not to mention the minimisation of energy used over the course of a game. I realise that the differences might be negligible but it's a goal I have nonetheless. Plus I have--what I would call--a substantial amount of bodyfat, so there's always room for improvement.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:16 am

Velcropop wrote:a substantial amount of bodyfat, so there's always room for improvement.
I think I know what you mean, but if you are effectively replacing fat with muscle, then keep doing that; I believe sooner or later that phase will end, so enjoy while it lasts :wink: