Strength Standards or "Yardsticks"

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:40 pm

The hook grip took me a while to get it, but worth the wait.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Velcropop wrote: I noticed something strange using a standard pronated grip as I was holding the weight at the top of the movement. My hands were kind of just rolling back (much like what was happening before) and the bar was effectively just left in the tips of my fingers. I was able to keep my thumb more or less gripping the bar in my RIGHT hand but the thumb on my left hand would separate and kind of just float, barely assisting.
This used to happen to me when my grip was failing, it feels like the bar is just hanging onto the tips. It just sort of went away. My grip was my weakness when I first deadlifted but now it's feeling more like my hamstrings are failing. I think pullups and other pulling movements helped my grip. I do heavy pullups before DL and never have a problem with it anymore.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:43 am

Spend the time to get your grip the way it works for you. I find the hook grip painful but if you plan to use it, practice it with light loads and work uour way up to the heavy loads. For the heavy loads you really need to use the alternating grip. You just found out that the bar will roll in the direction of your fingers. By alternating your grip the roll cancels out. For way to strengthen your grip, check out http://www.dieselcrew.com

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:46 am

Like I said, you need to practice the hook on light weights for a while. But keep up the good work, whatever kind of grip you use.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:52 pm

See MattZ's workout journal for today.