Steroids-Bret Musburger, ABC/ESPN Sports Announcer

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:41 pm

"but having all the extra testosterone flooding your system would certainly increase aggression" - Rucifer

Maybe in some animals (deers, bovids, elephants, etc.), but there's not a strong correlation in humans.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Also, in animals, increases in aggression are generally associated with a rut or breeding season, NOT puberty. Humans don't have a breeding season.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Rucifer wrote:
hoosegow wrote:Rucifer, roid rage is a myth.
I do agree that "roid rage" claims are overblown, but having all the extra testosterone flooding your system would certainly increase aggression. Do I have any scientific studies backing this? No, but all you have to do is look at puberty, when hormones do flood the system in young males, and their increased aggression at this point in life, to know it would have to have an effect.
The changes in hormone levels at puberty are complex, and not just involving testosterone. And changes in hormone levels aren't the only thing happening at this time of life, either.

I've never been aware of a correlation between aggression and testosterone levels.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:43 pm

That's because there isn't any Doc. Rucifer, you are buying into media hype. A man on steroids beats his wife. That same man will beat his wife not on steroids.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:14 pm

Matt Z wrote: Humans don't have a breeding season.
I beg to differ. In the male of the species it runs from about year 17 until sometime between year 30 and 85.

But seriously, hoose is right. If you are a jerk, gear will amplify that. But gear isn't going to make a normal person act like Ben Aflack in that horrid afterschool special.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:17 pm

"But gear isn't going to make a normal person act like Ben Aflack in that horrid afterschool special." - nygmen

I thought you were going to say Ben Aflack in "Mallrats"

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:49 pm

The key to getting people to get involved in a thread is to include the word "steroids" somewhere in the first post. I don't remember seeing many threads into 4 pages in 3 days.

jtw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jtw » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:35 am

Jungledoc wrote:The key to getting people to get involved in a thread is to include the word "steroids" somewhere in the first post. I don't remember seeing many threads into 4 pages in 3 days.
Can someone fix the typo in the OP subject? It actually says "Steriods." I suppose if someone did a search (subject-line only) they might not find this discussion.

Does that count for two cents?

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:37 am

I'd do steroids if I wasn't a pretty boy.

The fact is I've got a baby face and if I ever got caught and put in prison... man oh man I'd be in trouble.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:37 am

I'd do steroids if I wasn't scared of injecting myself. That and I don't think I could afford them.

Also my friends would make fun of me.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:52 am

robertscott wrote:Also my friends would make fun of me.
Same here. And heck, even I'd make fun of me if I did them.

Part of the reason I do this stuff is to see what I can accomplish with just what I was born with and worked for. Anabolic steroids don't fit in with my personal opinion of what "born with and worked for" means.

Yes, creatine and protein powder and vitamins and such does fit. Injecting myself with testosterone doesn't fit. Your mileage may vary.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Yeah same as the above two posts. I've got a small frame and on a bulk I think I look a bit weird with extra weight, like my head looks well small if I have my hair too short! I think I'd look like a proper meat head on roids and it would just look too unnatural for my frame. If I was bigger built than maybe, but you would be able to tell a mile off as I am and I train to look in proportion not out of proportion!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 pm

jtw wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:The key to getting people to get involved in a thread is to include the word "steroids" somewhere in the first post. I don't remember seeing many threads into 4 pages in 3 days.
Can someone fix the typo in the OP subject? It actually says "Steriods." I suppose if someone did a search (subject-line only) they might not find this discussion.

Does that count for two cents?
That's a good point. I corrected the OPs typo.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:13 am

The way I see it, I'm only in competition with myself. My goal is to get as strong as possible naturally, without compromising my heath. Using anabolic steroids or other performance enhancing drugs would only taint my achievments, since I'd never know how much of it was me and how much was the drugs.