Goals for 2011.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:07 am

The forest did fall down. All those trees had to be removed. I'm walking on windfall several feet up in that picture. That's why I'm looking at the ground.

I thought Doc looked pretty good in that picture.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:55 am

Immortal - you are 150lbs and want a 225 bench and clean? let me know if you do it, that would be crazy good IMO

Short version: +20k bench, +30k squat, Deadlift is sorted, +20k overhead press, learn to clean. Later in year if I manage strength goals, want to see 12-13% bodyfat. Current numbers are aprox 75k bench/ohp, 175k dead and 125k squat aprox 17% BF.

Had flu over Christmas and lost 17lbs, first sessions since then was awful yesterday and lost 15% on my lifts (for reps) - I assume my strength and weight will fly back up within the month though, I've had mild dips due to illness in past and they tend to be easy enough to repair, usually 1.5x ill period so banking on three four weeks tops before my above numbers return.

Higgy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Higgy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:54 am

Goals for 2010

All are 5x5

Squat 225 +70
BP 225 +20
OP 145 +25
DL 255 +50

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Goal for 2011? Get back in the garage and workout. Haven't done so in 8 months or so and boy does it show. Friends have noticed that I have lost weight and say, "Good job, how did you do it?". lol I've lost 13 lbs. There are many excuses why I stopped and not one is a good one.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:33 pm

jps wrote:Goal for 2011? Get back in the garage and workout. Haven't done so in 8 months or so and boy does it show. Friends have noticed that I have lost weight and say, "Good job, how did you do it?". lol I've lost 13 lbs. There are many excuses why I stopped and not one is a good one.
I was wondering where you've been man.

How is everything?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 pm

nygmen wrote:
jps wrote:Goal for 2011? Get back in the garage and workout. Haven't done so in 8 months or so and boy does it show. Friends have noticed that I have lost weight and say, "Good job, how did you do it?". lol I've lost 13 lbs. There are many excuses why I stopped and not one is a good one.

How is everything?
Yeah, I've wondered, too. Go after it!

BTW, how's the coffee roasting going?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:44 am

My goal for 2011 was to stay injury-free.

It hasn't started off so well - the clean and press session that I did on Wednesday caused a twinge near my right shoulder blade. It was mildly tender yesterday, but it's sore today. :mad:

Hopefully, it will clear up by next Wednesday.

Better luck to everyone else in keeping their New Years goals. :wink:

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:19 am

Jungledoc wrote:
nygmen wrote:

How is everything?
Yeah, I've wondered, too. Go after it!

BTW, how's the coffee roasting going?
I could post a lengthy response, but lets just say that the economy was tearing my flooring business apart. And with more debt piling up and some legal issues hanging over my head, my priorities changed. Things have just recently turned around ....more work than I can handle...money in the bank. Coffee biz is getting back to where it was before....still a side business, but that will be changing this year. I have to get aggressive with it and may need to find a financial partner. Unreal how much it would take to get a serious roasterie going....even a small one.

So, I am doing well.....and I will be posting back to my dusty old journal very soon!

Good to see you guys again!

Pathoslogical
n00b
n00b

Post by Pathoslogical » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 pm

I want to hit 199 pounds. Yes, exactly 199. That's a loss of 51 pounds. However, I want to do it while building lean muscle mass and increasing my strength.

Proper Knob

Re: Goals for 2011.

Post by Proper Knob » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Well a quarter of the year has gone already, not sure where but it's gone. Where are we all at so far?

Sampson7

Post by Sampson7 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:30 am

Just saw this, and starting from now:
Current 1RM
Bench: 230
Squat: 260
DL: 300
standing press: 158
(pounds)

Goals:
1RM
Bench: 260
Squat: 330
DL: 370
standing press: 190

That will mean staying on schedule for the 5/3/1

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:50 pm

bump bump bumpity bump (remember that stupid elephant from the cartoon?)

my goals were:

120k Bench
200k trap-bar deadlift
100k clean x5
make it to 200lbs

and so far I have achieved... nothing! At least not any of those.

I don't want to sound like I am making excuses, but hurting my back has pretty much ruined my chances of the deadlift/clean goals. As for the bench, I've been training with high volume as opposed to intensity. Going to start training it 5/3/1 style next month so I think that while 120k might be unlikely, I should be able to get to 110.

As for the bodyweight goal, I am only a few pounds heavier than I was at the start of the year, although that's a little misleading as I have actually dropped 2 notches on my belt. Cheers for that leangains.com!

so with all this in mind, the revised goals for the end of the year are:

1. 110k bench (fairly confident)
2. full ROM back squat with no back rounding or any other form errors
3. pull conventional deadlift from the floor with no arching or any other of that awful crap that people with terrible deadlifting technique.
4. reach a lean, mean 190lbs. I think 200lbs was a little too ambitious but 190 should be doable. If I stay lean that'll look awesome.

goals 2 and 3 depend on a sub-goal which is to be able to get into the deep squat position by working through the toe-touch/deep squat progression in Grey Cook's "Athletic Body In Balance". Going to get help with technique from KPj too once my back's better.

right so that's me done, what about the rest of you? EXPLAIN YOURSELVES

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:36 pm

My goals were thus -

Squat 160kgs
Deadlift 220kgs
Bench 110kgs
Press 65kgs
20 Chinups
Standing Rollout.

My squat is up to 150kgs, my deadlift hasn't moved since the beginning of the year only because i haven't lifted with a conventional stance (i have increased my sumo from 170 to 200kgs). Bench is best quickly brushed over and my press is at 62.5kgs, half way there. I'm up to 15 Chinups and a standing rollout is still a pipe dream.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:13 pm

Hmmm, have to say continuing with Stronglifts "playing as written" until I've run it out to the end. This might happen in 2011, there seems to be huge variability in how long people stay on it.

Longer term:

1.5x body weight bench. If I make it to 180 lb that will be 270, and I'm only at 205 now, so it seems like stretch.

"5 plates" deadlift. This one seems easily doable, just a matter of time. Anybody who knows it is a lot harder than that, no need to spoil my illusion :grin:

Edit: 10 bodyweight wide grip pullups!!

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:07 am

My Squat and DL goals have been sidelined. Seemed the hamstring/glute thing did hang around lol. Clearly done more damage than I initially thought. Still haven't deadlifted. Only just started squatting full depth again, although I need to use a much closer stance. I would be happy to get these 2 lifts back to where they were. However, I'm trying to keep numbers OUT of my head right now, as this helps to stop me "being an idiot".

I "thought" I was regressing on bench for some time. This does happen to me on bench, it can fluctuate 20lbs or so. However, it dawned on me that i'm training at around 15lbs lighter b/w than I was. Now hitting the same numbers as I was at the heavier b/w, so that's progress. Still optimistic on my original goal, it's going up, slowly, I hope,and my bodyweight has started creeping up again. Hopefully getting to the same b/w but a little leaner would see it going up, too. Doing 5-3-1 with this, which, last time around, didn't actually do much for my bench but, I desperately needed the structure and adaptability that 5-3-1 allows, so it's best for the situation.

I've added military press to the mix. I'm now able to train it. Quite excited about it. Goal is to press, strictly, a little above my bodyweight (170-175). 200lbs is the number i've had in my head. Doing this via 5-3-1. Everything is a PR, basically, since i've not been able to train this lift for at least 4 years. According to the 1RM calulater, I should be right around 165lbs. I'm normally a little above where the calculator puts me. I'm prioritising this (first in the week), since I feel it should help my bench numbers, too. FWIW, i'm completely hammering my old PR's when I trained this in my first 2 years of training. However, all I really have to compare it to is half ROM military press (well, bar down to about forehead) and seated press (same ROM), since this is all I done at the time. I'm now pressing above these weights, from the clavicles with no leg drive. However, I could do this from the start, I guess as a side effect of all my other lifting.

I've hit a couple of other PR's. 23 reps in pull ups. 2 reps on pull ups with just over 50% of my bodyweight at the time (40kg). One rep was chest to handles the other was just chin over handles, which is technically what "full ROM" is, but I like to shoot for chest to handles/bar. I count "chin over bar" but don't count anything less than that. The 23 reps were all chest to bar/handles.

KPj