Before I opt for the Steroid Injection...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Before I opt for the Steroid Injection...

Post by Rik-Blades » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:51 am

....what else can I try?

Bare with me...Let me tell you a little story. Are we sitting comfortably?

Back in November, I took 4-6 weeks out of lifting to deal with some chores around the house, the whole upstairs needed completley redecorating, plastering electrics, the whole lot. I dropped down to a full body workout once a week. Around this time there was quite a bit of screwdriver use, scraping of wallpaper, painting and lots of sanding etc. I also carried 6 sheets of 7mm hardboard (2.4m x 1.2m) up the stairs with a 'pinch grip' in one go, which I seem to remember was very challenging.

Now, i've always been aware of a 'pop' that comes from my right forearm/elbow when using a screwdriver, nothing new and something i've learned to deal with by using a cordless drill where possible. It's never given me pain I might add.

Anyhoo...I finished the chores and noticed my elbow was quite sore. Christmas came and as promised (to my wife) I took some time off to help drink, eat/bulk and play with the kids. No lifting for two weeks.

The pain got a lot worse. I said to the wife that if it didn't seem any better in the new year, I would go see the Doctor.

New year came and lifting resumed. The pain still there.
The funny thing is, it doesn't really affect my lifting. My grip on a Barbell is fine, Deadlifts still going up, still do pullups etc. If anything, after a lifing session, it feels a little better, but soon returns.

It bothers me most when using the hoover for example, or pouring the kettle, pretty much anything that involves a wide finger grip pronation, thers just no strength in the grip and it burns in my forearm quite nicley!

So..went to the Doctor who diagonosed a form of Fibromyalgia, without laying hands on me at all! I told him I thought it was Tennis Elbow. He said if that was the case it would hurt when he pressed here (he then actually touched me on the lateral part of my elbow) and it did hurt quite a bit.

Now, he suggested exercise whould help. I informed him that I pretty much have that base covered. So he offered me a Steroid injection.

I've said i'll think about that. I've looked into this and from what i've read, Steroid injections for Tennis Elbow only give short term relief from the pain and don't really fix the problem. I've been massaging the area for the past week, that seems to help a little, but what else can I do to fix this?? It's been about 12 weeks and starting to get me down, mostly at night when it can disturb my sleep.

Anyone here managed to fix Tennis Elbow? How long did it take? Surely my body can fix this?

Thanks for listening!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:16 am

Steroid injections aren't the place to start, but they have their place. I'm sure that you've Googled it by now, and have read up on the different treatments (including some specific exercises) that are in use. If you truly gave it enough rest, and have used the other modalities available, then the steroids are probably worthwhile. The short-term effects are pretty good, but there is a good chance of recurrence, particularly if you continue doing whatever caused it in the first place. But if you're not doing those things any more, the shot may just be the thing to get the TE calmed down. If you get the shots, don't use your arm for anything heavier than a toothbrush for at least 72 hours, and don't lift heavy for a week afterward.

You should try full-dose anti-inflammatories for 2-3 weeks before resorting to the steroids. That would be at least 2400mg of ibuprofen per day, or the equivalent in another med.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:57 pm

I know someone who had a steroid injection for a tendon issue. He said it really did the trick, made him feel better than ever. I think he started with ibuprofen though.

I've never needed a steroid injection. I was always able to treat mine with ibuprofen. I would take 4 or 5 at a time, which is about the strength of the prescription version. It took some time, but it worked.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Prescription ibuprophen comes in 400, 600 and 800mg. The max recommended dose is 3200mg per day, divided into 4 doses, or 800 every 6 hours or so. The most common side effects are stomach irritation or ulceration (can include bleeding), interference with kidney function (initially reversible, but if neglected can cause permanent damage), and decreased platelet function (slower clot formation and prolonged bleeding from injuries). That's why the larger sizes are prescription only, but a young person without existing kidney issues or bleeding problems can safely use larger doses for limited periods of time (say up to 2 or 3 weeks). Always take it with food in the stomach. Don't take it with aspirin, but it's OK to take it with Tylenol. Don't take it if you are already on a prescription anti-inflammatory (seems obvious, but some people don't think about their long-term meds when taking an OTC).

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll head back and get some ibuprofen, try that first.
Jungledoc wrote:If you get the shots, don't use your arm for anything heavier than a toothbrush for at least 72 hours, and don't lift heavy for a week afterward.
Jungledoc, I'm curious as to why this is?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:27 pm

The tendon is temporarily weakened by the injection. It takes a few days for the effect to end. It may be more of a theoretical concern than a practical one, but I have always advised that for my patients. No control group, but the only time one of my patients had a tendon rupture (and it was an achilles' tendon, which carry a heavy load and are more likely to rupture), I found out afterward that 2 other doctors had injected the same tendon each of the 2 previous weeks.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:41 am

Noted. Thanks again.

Higgy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Higgy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:53 am

I too suffered a similar injury and it took me about 4 days of 300 mg of ibuprophen x 4 times a day for 4 days for me to feel better. Also had to rest it completely during that time. Best of luck!

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:16 pm

Anyone tried Glucosamine Sulphate? I've picked some up today, I've read articles where Bodybuilders swear by it.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Rik-Blades wrote:Anyone tried Glucosamine Sulphate? I've picked some up today, I've read articles where Bodybuilders swear by it.
I've taken it for several years. Not sure why bodybuilders like it if they don't have arthritis. Short-term studies showed no benefit. Longer term studies have shown some. It's hard for me to tell individually, but when I ran out a few months ago, I noticed that my knee slowly got worse. When I got a new supply, the knee gradually got better. I feel that it just adds a bit to what my anti-inflammatory does. I take a combo with costochondroitin, so I have no idea really which one, or if both are helping.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Rik-Blades wrote:Anyone tried Glucosamine Sulphate? I've picked some up today, I've read articles where Bodybuilders swear by it.
Many of the popular brands of joint formulas (Osteo Bi-Flex and Flexamin) that I pick up in the drug stores use glucosamine in the hydrochloride form rather than the sulfate. I once read that the hydrochloride forms allows greater packing density, which is the reason why it is used in preference to sulfate in so-called triple strength formulations. Whether the hydrochloride delivers more benefit that the sulfate other than having to take fewer pills each day is still unclear.

And like Doc said, adding co-factors like MSM and chondrotin improves upon the performance of glucosamine alone. The formula I'm taking now also has vitamin D3 and K2 and hyaluronic acid. If I stopped taking a glucosamine supplement for a couple of weeks , my shoulders and knees definitely will get worse.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 pm

I tried using Osteo-biflex for my hip. I read that it took a while (a few weeks) to kick in, so I allowed for that. Didn't really do anything for my hip pain, but it did clear up some minor discomforts in my shoulders though. Go figure, but since it worked for my shoulders, I still take it.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:33 pm

TimD wrote:I tried using Osteo-biflex for my hip. I read that it took a while (a few weeks) to kick in, so I allowed for that. Didn't really do anything for my hip pain, but it did clear up some minor discomforts in my shoulders though. Go figure, but since it worked for my shoulders, I still take it.
Unlike the knee, elbow and shoulder, the hip is a pretty sturdy joint. If you have pain there, it must have pretty significant damage. Too bad the Osteo didn't work for you. How do you cope with the pain? NSAIDs?

TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:18 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:
TimD wrote:I tried using Osteo-biflex for my hip. I read that it took a while (a few weeks) to kick in, so I allowed for that. Didn't really do anything for my hip pain, but it did clear up some minor discomforts in my shoulders though. Go figure, but since it worked for my shoulders, I still take it.
Unlike the knee, elbow and shoulder, the hip is a pretty sturdy joint. If you have pain there, it must have pretty significant damage. Too bad the Osteo didn't work for you. How do you cope with the pain? NSAIDs?
Yep, I use NSAIDS. Like Doc cautioned though,you have to use caution. They can really aggravate the stomach. I was watching the Doc Oz show the other day, and he gave a demonstration (simulated) and it scared the heck out of me.
Tim

kab3261
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kab3261 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:31 am

Would the mg dosage of ibuprofen change with a lower body weight (113 lbs). I usually take smaller doses of other OTC meds and seem to get good results.
Karen