entering competition need advice

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Immortal

entering competition need advice

Post by Immortal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:11 am

Guys im entering my first competition after talking to many people today. IM most likely going to enter at least 3 from march to to may and I have found a list that i already plan on attending. I want to know some things though. Number 1 - do I have to get a seperate phsysical for them? Also the lowest weight classes they seem to have is 53 and the 59 kilogram classes. Im a bit lighter than 53 kilos and I assume people cut weight to make these classes so would it be a good idea to gain a little weight before than?

Final questions

Where can I find a really good strength coach to help me with bench?
Are any supplements banned? I only use protein like whey and vitamins so im assuming I should be fine right? Are any vitamins banned? Is melatonin sleeping pills banned or anything? I dont take creatine, I dont take NO Explode, I dont take anything that pumps you up. I dont even take that shark stuff.

Last question

What should I expect from my first competition?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 am

So exactly what are you competing in?

Power Lifting ?
Body Building ?

Bowling ?

I don't have any advice for the first two.

Good luck,

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:27 am

I'm gonna assume you are going to be competing in a Powerlifting meet, given that you mention improving your bench technique?

If so well done for deciding to enter your first meet, I did my first around march last year, so cannot offer the wealth of advice that some of the other guys and girls here can, but the biggest thing for me was to learn the rules!

Find a copy of your federations rulebook, some will be posted online, others will send you a copy. Then read, read and read some more!

You need to make sure you are performing your lifts within the rules, and practice the lifting cues.

This will also tell you what supplements/substances etc are allowed and which are banned (some of them you wouldn't even have though of!!)

But mostly enjoy it! there is no bigger motivator for many people as competing in a sport you love.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:59 am

I don't have direct experience, but I read about people who only compete every few months. Is 3 times in 3 months a good idea?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:08 am

Dale covered the important part. Select a federation and find out what the rules are, for both lifting and judging, and also for a list of banned substances and equipment. All vary big time from fed to fed. If you aren't used to bench shirts, squat suits and the rest, you might want to find a federation with a RAW class. If you decide to use supportive equipment, check out what's legal in the fed you join, and practice with the equipment to get a feel for it. Kenny can be way mopre helpful in that area.
@Doc, well for a competitive PL, 3 contests in three months might not be a great idea, but for a novice, trying to figure out the ropes, and not really trying to set the record book on fire, it might be a great idea.
Tim

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: entering competition need advice

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:02 am

Immortal wrote:Guys im entering my first competition after talking to many people today. IM most likely going to enter at least 3 from march to to may
Immortal,

You'll certainily gain a lot of meet experience from doing 3 meets in 3 month. However, as Jungledoc and Tim pointed out, there isn't much value in doing 3 meets in three months.

If you going to do that, save your money and just have your own mock meet in the gym.
and I have found a list that i already plan on attending. I want to know some things though. Number 1 - do I have to get a seperate phsysical for them?

No physical is required by any organization.
Also the lowest weight classes they seem to have is 53 and the 59 kilogram classes. Im a bit lighter than 53 kilos and I assume people cut weight to make these classes
Yes, many lifters will cut weight, weight in the night before and then regain the weight they lost.

At the Caliornia State Powerlifting Meet a few years ago, Jason Kelske weighed in at that same time I did.

Kelske weight in at 218 the day berfore. The weight class was 100 kilos/220 lbs and below.

Come meet time, Kelske weighed 236 (rehydrated weight).

Lifting against someone in a weight class that out weights you that much is an impossible deficit to make up. Unless you are "Super Freak" Ed Coan.
so would it be a good idea to gain a little weight before than?
Yes, you're strength will increase when you gain weight. That is why they have weight classes.
Final questions

Where can I find a really good strength coach to help me with bench?
The best thing to do is find a powerlifting group in your area and train with them.
Are any supplements banned?

As Dale and Tim stated, read the rule book.

It is amazing how much money and time lifter spend. They show up at meets and have no idea of what the rules are.
I only use protein like whey and vitamins so im assuming I should be fine right? Are any vitamins banned? Is melatonin sleeping pills banned or anything? I dont take creatine, I dont take NO Explode, I dont take anything that pumps you up. I dont even take that shark stuff.
The "The B's" of lifting heavy weight are:

1) Eat BIG

2) Lift BIG

3) Sleep BIG

Also, try the creatine. It should increase your performance.
Last question

What should I expect from my first competition?
Your first meet is a learning experience. Have fun.

In regard to your attempts, make your opening attempt easy. Too many lifters miss their opener and then are out of the meet.

I've done it twice in my time. That means that I was stupid twice...Don't do that!

Former World Record Holder Chip McCain provided me with the best advice on an opening attempt.

"Your opening attempt should be your last warm up."

Kenny Croxdale

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:37 pm

well it looks like im about 10 pounds under the lowest weight class but I talked to one of the guys who actually compete in competitions from the gym and he said that I should hold my own considering I can actually lift a very good amount of weight for someone who is my weight. He told me the only thing that might hold me back from winning is nervousness and the fact that I might just psyche myself out. He also told me to stick to the "cheating grip for my dead lift" because he said theres a huge difference between my cheat grip and my regular grip. By cheat grip he means one palm facing me and the other one facing away. He also said my squat form is very good but he wants me to go down faster because apparently going down really calmly and controlled wastes too much energy. Basically he said its fine if I go down slowly during training as it has better benefits but he said during competition I should go down faster, that way my body will save tons of energy so it can lift heavier. Another thing he said is that he wants me to start eating 9000 calories a day. I laughed when he said that but he said I need to increase my protein and fat intake through the roof so I can force my body to get bigger. He also recommended I get a weight gainer shake.

Dam theres so many things to do

P.s this is a raw competition, no shirts or equipment allowed. YOu may however use chalk or that super gel stuff that makes ur hands sticky.

I dont plan to use either though as I think its cheating

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:44 pm

Start taking some whipping cream shakes with peanut butter and ice cream. 1 litre of cream is like 3000 cal.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Chalk and mixed grip are not cheating. That is nonsense you need to get out of your head now.

Listen, often times when our egos take over we try and make ourselves "more hardcore" and piss on things we see as cheating, when in reality we are holding ourselves back from true progress. At 18, assuming your numbers are legit, you can do some serious damage in this sport by the time you are 24...

Just open your mind a little, and try and remind yourself you don't have the world figured out yet. We all thought we did at 18, but we didn't. trust me. It took me about a decade to figure out I don't have it all figured out yet, lol.

Also 9000 calories? I'm sure he is embellishing. And that being said, I wouldn't try and cut or gain weight for my first comp, but that is just me.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:06 pm

I agree with Eric on the weight gain. Concentrate on your lifting, get the form right and learn the rules. Address the weight after you have a competition under your belt. I'd also rather see you eat one of Jebus' shakes than a weight gainer. They're mostly sugar and it will just cause fat gain. You want protein and saturated fats. You can add sweet potatoes for carbs if you want carbs.

Danomite
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Danomite » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:11 pm

I thought you were about 150# Immortal? If so you would be much too large for either class you listed. 53 kilos = ~115# and the other class would be about 130#. I'm by far from a powerlifter or know anything of the sport, but a cut of 20lbs at 150 seems impossible without being a detriment to performance/health. What is the next weight class available?

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Immortal wrote:well it looks like im about 10 pounds under the lowest weight class
Immortal,

10 lbs under the weight class limit is a huge difference. It sounds like you might be able to make the weight class below, if you wanted to.
but I talked to one of the guys who actually compete in competitions from the gym and he said that I should hold my own considering I can actually lift a very good amount of weight for someone who is my weight. He told me the only thing that might hold me back from winning is nervousness and the fact that I might just psyche myself out.
It sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.
He also told me to stick to the "cheating grip for my dead lift" because he said theres a huge difference between my cheat grip and my regular grip. By cheat grip he means one palm facing me and the other one facing away.

"Cheat grip"...now there and oxymoron. It is not cheating if the rules allows it.
He also said my squat form is very good but he wants me to go down faster because apparently going down really calmly and controlled wastes too much energy. Basically he said its fine if I go down slowly during training as it has better benefits but he said during competition I should go down faster, that way my body will save tons of energy so it can lift heavier.
The guy your are talking to need to be upgraded from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about to a moron.

Let's break it down.

1) Research shows that eccentric strength depletes/burns very little energy. Thus, you Don't save a ton of energy!

2) Lowering (the eccentric) the weight depletes very little of your drive up (concentric strength). That because you eccentric strength is greater than you concentric strength.

Realistically, you eccentric strength is around 120% of your concentric strength.

Example: 300 lb Bench Press where you can push the weigh up.

That means your eccentric strnegth would be approximately 360 lbs (300 X 120% = 360)...or 84% of you concentric strength (300/360 = 83.33%)

3) Force = Mass X Acceleration (Newton's Seond Law of Physics)

That means the faster a weight drops or is lowered the greater the force you need to deal with. In other words, the faster you lower 300 lbs, the greater the weight is going to be.

Reasearch by Dr Tom McLaughlin (Exercise Physiologist in Biomechanics) found that novice/intermediate lifters who lowered the weight quickly encounted more force than elite lifters. Novice/intermeidate lifters encounterd 49% more force vs 12% for elite lifters.

Example:

Novice/Intermediate lowering a 300 lb bench press encounted 447 (300 lbs X 149%) of force when the bar hit their chest.

Elite lifters lowering a 300 lb bench press encountered 336 lbs of force (300 lbs X 112%).

So, which are you more likely to push up off your chest, 447 lbs or 336 lbs?

The take home message is lower the weight SLOWLY! If you allow the weight to drop too fast, you end up with the bar tatooed to your chest in a bench press or you butt stapled to the floor in a squat. Don't do that!
Another thing he said is that he wants me to start eating 9000 calories a day. I laughed when he said that but he said I need to increase my protein and fat intake through the roof so I can force my body to get bigger. He also recommended I get a weight gainer shake

My mistake. The guy you talking to is a full blow idiot, two steps below moron.
P.s this is a raw competition, no shirts or equipment allowed. YOu may however use chalk or that super gel stuff that makes ur hands sticky.

I dont plan to use either though as I think its cheating.
The rules allow you to use chalk. So, it NOT cheating.

Chalk (along with knurling on the bar) allows you to hold on to heavy deadlifts.

Applying some chalk to you upper back helps maintain the bar postion on your back.

Applying some chalk to your shoulders and butt in the bench press, allows you to get a little more traction...if your pushing the right way.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Danomite wrote:I thought you were about 150# Immortal? If so you would be much too large for either class you listed. 53 kilos = ~115# and the other class would be about 130#. I'm by far from a powerlifter or know anything of the sport, but a cut of 20lbs at 150 seems impossible without being a detriment to performance/health. What is the next weight class available?
Danomite,

Good point. the weight class doesn't make sense.

Last I saw, Immortal was 150 lbs. Most orgaizations have a 67.5 kilo/148 3/4 lb weight class. Which means he be sitting on top of it.

Kenny Croxdale

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:14 pm

This is surely going to come off rude - but I feel like you're at the very least stretching the truth, immortal.

I'm sure everyone's stretched the truth a bit, but I honestly feel like this is some kind of pathological lying thing going on.

I may be wrong - and i'll be the first to apologize if I am, but I've been on the internet a long time (~15 years between gaming/bodybuilding) and I like to think I've got a pretty good radar for BS - and it's been going off on almost all the threads/posts you've made lately.

If this is deemed to rude to be posted, admins can delete it, I just couldn't keep it in anymore.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:24 pm

There at the least seems to be a strong need for attention, which, may lead to lying. (ahem, embellishing) - but also just leads to honest talking a lot about yourself. Chalk it up to age? I hope.

Once I managed a restaurant and was in mid 20's. After 6 months I realized a girl on the staff lied. Then 6 months later it hit me that she probably hadn't been born in Africa and raised by a kangaroo. But she told me that before I knew she was a liar... so I believed it.

This really has nothing to do with this thread though