How thin is too thin?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

kab3261
Rookie
Rookie

How thin is too thin?

Post by kab3261 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:32 pm

I am constantly being told I'm too thin. I am 5'4 and 113 lbs. According to the ht/wt BMI calculator (on this site) I am 19.4%. I have calipers, with the only area I'm able to access being the supra iliac. I am 10 mm there. I also have an extremely small frame. Even though according to "all the charts," I am considered to be within healthy range, I still here countless comments regarding my "alarming state" of underweight. Some people are even down right rude. Most of those making these comments are quite obese. I know that the clothing industry has changed their standards to enable a larger woman to wear a smaller size number. Have the medical/health fields changed their standards as to what constitutes a healthy weight?

Providing I feel well, and am able to accomplish my daily tasks, is my weight something I should be concerned about?

Thanks for any input!
Karen

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 pm

Personally - and I am not a medical professional so my advice is to be taken with a pinch of salt - I would say as long as you are healthy, then it doesn't matter. Some people prefer how they look when they're thin, others may prefer to be a bit bigger.

Like i said, if your weight isn't causing any kind of medical problems, then I wouldn't worry about it. It always amazes me how telling a fat person they're too fat is the height of rudeness, but telling a thin person they are too skinny is considered acceptable.

Next time someone tells you you're too thin say "Well Shamu at least I'm not a blubbery lardass like you."

That'll shut them up.

Bacchus1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bacchus1979 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:00 pm

5'4 113 doesn't sound overly skinny in the slightest to me. For what thats worth.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: How thin is too thin?

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 pm

kab3261 wrote: I am considered to be within healthy range, I still here countless comments regarding my "alarming state" of underweight. Some people are even down right rude. Most of those making these comments are quite obese.
Sounds like jealousy to me, plain and simple.
robertscott wrote:Next time someone tells you you're too thin say "Well Shamu at least I'm not a blubbery lardass like you.".
I agree. You might not be comfortable doing this, but you need to talk back to people who insult you. Maybe not as bluntly as the example above, but at least in kind to what you're hearing. Either that, or avoid your tormentors as much as possible.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:38 am

I'm with the guys on this one.
I think most girls look best in the 19-22 bmi range (we had to compare bmi of different girls in my school), under 18 is too skinny for most girls, above 24 is too much for most.

EDIT: I also know a few girls who are between 90-100lbs and between 5'0-5'4 and they are beautiful.

kab3261
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kab3261 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Thank you for the input! I have only been working out for about 2 years, and sadly, the main reason I hadn't done it earlier was because I kept hearing that I shouldn't exercise because I was too skinny. Unfortunately, I listened to those people. Even now, I need to remind myself that I am in a healthy weight range and that the only reason I look thin is because so many others are far too heavy.
On the plus side; since I've been lifting, I feel stronger than when I was 25 years old! Its never to late to start taking care of your body!
Thanks again!
Karen

PS- I would love to tell these people exactly how I feel about their comments, but in most cases I am at my place of employment.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:24 pm

kab3261 wrote:I would love to tell these people exactly how I feel about their comments, but in most cases I am at my place of employment.
If it really gets nasty, can't you talk to your supervisor about it? Nobody has the right to harass you at work.

If it's just the usual thoughtlessness, it's best to ignore it. Or use it as motivation in your next workout.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:51 pm

"I have only been working out for about 2 years, and sadly, the main reason I hadn't done it earlier was because I kept hearing that I shouldn't exercise because I was too skinny." - kab3261

That's horrible. Losing weight isn't the only reason to exercise. Everyone should exercise, whether they're trying to lose weight, gain weight or stay the same weight.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 pm

You could say something more gentle than what robertscott suggested. Maybe something like "I am at a healthy weight." For repeat offenders, "It seems that most people who comment about others being too thin are trying to divert attention from their own overweight." If there is ever a third offender, "This is none of your business, and if you continue to harrass me about this, I'm going to lodge a complaint with management."

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:39 pm

@kab3261:

Is it possible that you can talk to some of the people who think you are too thin about your exercise program and the fitness goals that you've set for yourself and have met? Many companies sponsor wellness walks and other fitness activities for their employees. Walking an obese person ragged - or doing a set of pull ups - would get him/her to sing a different tune in a hurry about you being too thin.

Clenbut
former lurker

Post by Clenbut » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:46 am

Hi,
i want to be like you,people say i am quite fat. :neu:

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:20 am

Burn the office down to the ground

But on a more serious note, /sign Jungles answer - just sharp non-emotional answers should block them best - if you get into a slanging match with insults they can bring insults into it too, but a quick "I know what I weigh, and it's in a healthy range - so what's your problem?"

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:07 am

sometimes this sight is full of pansies.

Does it really bother you for people to say you are too skinny / fat / tall / short ? Lets' toughen up a bit.

Gosh damn victim society.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:17 am

Clenbut wrote:Hi,
i want to be like you,people say i am quite fat. :neu:
It's probably from eating too much spam.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:sometimes this sight[sic]is full of pansies.

Does it really bother you for people to say you are too skinny / fat / tall / short ?

Apparently it does, or Karen wouldn't have brought it up.
Lets' toughen up a bit.

Gosh damn victim society.
That attitude is probably one reason why so many female members quit this site.

Let's not drive away members by belittling their legitimate concerns.