is it good to take pain killer after workouts?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

dumbell_crunch
n00b
n00b

is it good to take pain killer after workouts?

Post by dumbell_crunch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:11 am

hi friends,
i really love to work out my forearms, But since im a heavy computer user i always get a pain in my forearms during typing. So i have two option either i have give a break between each gym sessions e.g.: wait 2 days for the next gym session or to take pain killers so that i would not get pain in my forearms after a forearm work out, Is it good to take pain killers, would it reverses my forearms work out, so that my muscles would not grow?

I would like to share your experience with mine for overcoming pain after a workout

thanks

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:18 am

Really?

Stop over training your forearms, perhaps

Maybe eat more Spam.

dumbell_crunch
n00b
n00b

Post by dumbell_crunch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:28 am

yep, i take paracetamol stuff ....

it occurs when i stop working out for a week and start it again and pain comes next day (this is not a fracture pain but a muscular pain) and lasts for 2-3 days after that dissapears but the issue if i work out for 3 months and stops for 1 weeks and starts it afterwards, pain comes, why?

What does SPAM has to do with getting bulky forearms? SPAM is a source for fat I.M.O. so are you saying that to have bulky forearms i need to eat more fat while working out?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:15 am

Taking paracetamol (acetaminophen) after workouts once in a while is OK. But you should not be needing it. If you still get pain after you have been training for a while, you are doing something wrong--poor form, training with an unresolved injury, overtraining, or something. I'm not sure that we can sort it all out here. You need to correct your lifting, instead of taking the pain meds regularly.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:31 pm

it occurs when i stop working out for a week and start it again and pain comes next day (this is not a fracture pain but a muscular pain) and lasts for 2-3 days after that dissapears but the issue if i work out for 3 months and stops for 1 weeks and starts it afterwards, pain comes, why?
This sounds like harmless DOMS to me.

See below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_on ... e_soreness

If you keep taking time off from your workouts, you will keep experiencing DOMS when you resume. Stop taking weeks off your training, or stop moaning.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:57 am

Oscar, I think your spamdar is acting up. I think it's having some sort of allergic reaction.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:05 am

Ironman wrote:Oscar, I think your spamdar is acting up. I think it's having some sort of allergic reaction.
yeah, looks like I may have jumped the gun here. At least he seems unphased by my clowning. 2:00 am posting FTW!

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Forget about popping pills. Just drink a cup of joe after your workout:
Although it’s too soon to recommend dropping by Starbucks before hitting the gym, a new study suggests that caffeine can help reduce the post-workout soreness that discourages some people from exercising.

In a study to be published in the February issue of The Journal of Pain, a team of University of Georgia researchers finds that moderate doses of caffeine, roughly equivalent to two cups of coffee, cut post-workout muscle pain by up to 48 percent in a small sample of volunteers.

Lead author Victor Maridakis, a researcher in the department of kinesiology at the UGA College of Education, said the findings may be particularly relevant to people new to exercise, since they tend to experience the most soreness.

“If you can use caffeine to reduce the pain, it may make it easier to transition from that first week into a much longer exercise program,” he said.
I prefer beer post-workout myself :wink:

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: is it good to take pain killer after workouts?

Post by KenDowns » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:47 pm

dumbell_crunch wrote:hi friends,
i really love to work out my forearms, But since im a heavy computer user i always get a pain in my forearms during typing. So i have two option either i have give a break between each gym sessions e.g.: wait 2 days for the next gym session or to take pain killers so that i would not get pain in my forearms after a forearm work out, Is it good to take pain killers, would it reverses my forearms work out, so that my muscles would not grow?

I would like to share your experience with mine for overcoming pain after a workout

thanks
One n00b lifter and lifelong computer user to another: Have you considered this could be simple posture while at the computer? Like carpal tunnel but hitting you somewhere else?

Do you have your arms in the "swiss" position while at the keyboard? All right angles, forearms level, no bend in the wrists? Have you invested in a quality keyboard?

By my thirties I was losing the use of my hands and had terrible pain in my arms, and I *finally* took the advice to sit properly at the keyboard, it's been over ten years since I even thought about it.

This might be totally off-track, but thought I'd ask.