need advice on cool down week

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Immortal

need advice on cool down week

Post by Immortal » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:16 am

Im starting to feel a little burnt out here and there. Even if Im still gaining but I feel a little "ehhhh at tiems in the weight room", It could be that My CNS needs a break or it could be that my mind needs a break from always training high intensity. So Ive decided to actually drop the main 5X5 routine variation I got going, and change up my workout where im lifting lighter(not too light) with a good amount of reps. I'm planning on doing this routine for 1 to 2 weeks so I can let my body "cool down" and actively rest.

I was thinking of doing 3 sets of, 10, 15, and 20 rep ranges for all my major workouts (Squat, Dumbell Press, Military Press, Dead Lift) Now I dont know much about the whole active recovery, but is my idea for rep range good enough to get my muscles pumping but at the same time, allowing my CNS and mind to recover? Or is there other methods for this?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:24 am

personally, and this is just my own preference, but every 8-10 weeks or so I like to have a week where I only go to the gym a couple of ttimes and have "Olympic Fun Day." Basically I just do some light snatches, cleans, other O-lift variations, and some shoulder health stuff like high rep sets of face-pulls and chins. I don't do any pressing or heavy deadlifts.

This works for me because I have issues with my shoulder, and my low back flares up every once in a while so a week off any heavy pressing or spinal loading does me the world of good. May work for you or it may not.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:18 pm

hmm, do what does your routine typically look like on that week?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:40 pm

What I do in a deload week is do my regular warmup of body weight stuff, then work on skills or rehab stuff.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Hit a similar thing myself lately - I failed to add 2.5k to my bench reps (but my singles have had weight added) twice now in two weeks, i.e. its stalled for three weeks - my squats are debatable because I need to get off my ass and video them.

But was thinking similar approach - 3x8 or 4x8 with a light weight, whilst dropping calories a litte. edge towards complexes even

but I dont know if this is a good idea - I dont know if three weeks without a bench gain warrants a change. I do know I have been doing 5x5 for nearly a solid year now... so I guess its worth trying a diff rep scheme to go over the stall.

So my answer to you Immortal is I'm with you on this one but can't offer advice as i'm unsure too..

Same with duration too - I dont know if i need to treat it as "deload" i.e. one or two weeks, or consider it a change to a quick program, closer to 5-8 weeks - then resume texas method 5x5 and see if $h1t moving again.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Robert,

why drop calories if stalling on lifts?

Immortal,
Sorry, I have not deloaded yet, cannot help.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:21 pm

If you're going hard you should probably deload on a regular basis. Some do it every 4th or 5th week, some less often. You can do a lot of things.

Do your usual routine at half the loading
Do your usual at half the reps
Do your usual at 75% load, 3/4 the reps.
Do something new, new exercises, etc, but keep it light
Play a sport at your usual workout times
Take a week off completely

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:13 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Robert,

why drop calories if stalling on lifts?

Immortal,
Sorry, I have not deloaded yet, cannot help.
To loose fat, but not gain (i.e. accept the stall and short term go for loosing a bit of weight while maintaining strength)

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:13 am

Immortal wrote:hmm, do what does your routine typically look like on that week?
I don't have a written routine but it would probably be something like this:

Power Snatch 4x4-6 (not working up to a true max, but fairly challenging)
Chins 5x8-12
Face pulls 5x1,000,000 (in other words, just loads and loads of these)
Step Ups 3x8-12
Dumbell External Rotations
Core stuff (rollouts etc)

So it's really just a day of shoulder health stuff and very little spinal loading. I would do this 2 or 3 times in the week.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Arent powerlifting exercises considered harder on the body the normal exercises ? I dont think I know how to snatch :( I do know dumbell snatches though but I need a form check on that. and Ill probably keep the chin ups, then add on dumbell snatches, and possibly do dips. Thats 3 exercises, Ill look for a few more to add on. What is a face pull though? Do you mean Pull up?

Also, what is considered a harder exercise on your body, Benching or Dumbell Pressing. I always think D Pressing is more valuable because you work your stabilizers but then theres the argument that you can load your muscles with more weight with benching. Whichever is easier on the body, Ill probably stick to that on a cool down week.

Ive actually pretty much decided to work out for 3 to 4 days, with only 3 exercises a day and then just get out of the gym :) So I need a proper set up for this.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:57 pm

And please, this is already really hard for me to do so no suggestions for a rest week haha, that would make me go insane if I ever did one

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Face Pull is like a seated row, except you are standing. And you are holding your arms higher, so the chain is pulled toward your face. That is rough description. you can youtube for more.

Also, I think you may be confusing Oly lifts with powerlifting, but I'm not sure.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:09 am

Immortal wrote:Arent powerlifting exercises considered harder on the body the normal exercises ? I dont think I know how to snatch :( I do know dumbell snatches though but I need a form check on that. and Ill probably keep the chin ups, then add on dumbell snatches, and possibly do dips. Thats 3 exercises, Ill look for a few more to add on. What is a face pull though? Do you mean Pull up?

Also, what is considered a harder exercise on your body, Benching or Dumbell Pressing. I always think D Pressing is more valuable because you work your stabilizers but then theres the argument that you can load your muscles with more weight with benching. Whichever is easier on the body, Ill probably stick to that on a cool down week.

Ive actually pretty much decided to work out for 3 to 4 days, with only 3 exercises a day and then just get out of the gym :) So I need a proper set up for this.
I don't think it's a matter of one exercise being harder on the body (within reason, obviously deadlifts are harder than kickbacks...) but what intensity you do them at. For example a dumbell bench done at 90% of your max will b harder than a normal bench done with 60%, see what I mean?

When I do my snatches on deload week I don't think I get higher than 80%, maybe not even that.

Face pulls are different to pull-ups, google them, they're a great exercise for shoulder health and improving posture. Best thing I ever did adding those in.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 am

thats pretty interesting, I might try face pulls then. So all in all IM guessing I should just stick with less than 70% of max? Or even 80%? I even heard 60% here so Im guessing its anywhere under 81% right? So can I mix up my exercises in a pattern where I start at 80% and by the end of the workout IM only at 60%?

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:57 am

Immortal wrote:thats pretty interesting, I might try face pulls then. So all in all IM guessing I should just stick with less than 70% of max? Or even 80%? I even heard 60% here so Im guessing its anywhere under 81% right? So can I mix up my exercises in a pattern where I start at 80% and by the end of the workout IM only at 60%?
you're overthinking it a bit now mate, just use weights that are reasonably challenging but don't try for a max.

Remember it's a DELOAD week, so the whole purpose is just to take it east and reinforce good form on your lifts.