I feel deprived of Oxygen in the gym some times..

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

levis lover
n00b
n00b

I feel deprived of Oxygen in the gym some times..

Post by levis lover » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:23 am

I have recently started going to gym.
After 7-8 sets of different exercises i feel like i am not inhaling properly and i am not being able to provide full oxygen to my body and brain.
Is this normal ?
I do a very little warm-up before going to the gym.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:36 am

You need to learn to breath during the exrcise, in through the nose, out quickly through the mouth during the exertion stage of the lift. Once the exercise is over, your heart rate will be elevated and your body will be looking for more oxygen so you should be panting. That's normal. After doing several sets with minimal rest, this demand will increase. That's actually a good thing because as your body adapts to that demand, you heart and lungs are increasing capacity and you're getting healthier.

If you need to tone down that intensity, increase the rest between sets so that you're better rested when you start the next set. Assuming the goal of your workout is metabolic improvements, increase the intensity of the workout gradually with more weight, faster lifts, longer sets and reduced recovery between sets. If your goal is more strength, and the shortness of breath is getting in the way, shorten the sets, increase the rest between sets and slow down the lifting so that you get a pause at some part of the lift for 1 or 2 breaths.

What I like to do is get out of breath during my warmup and again during the finisher but during the middle, strength oriented part, I tone it down so my muscles fatique before my lungs.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Could be breathing technique, although I usually think that we do what we need to do instinctively.

Could be lack of conditioning.

Could be subtle asthma.

Usually the true limiting factor is not oxygen. We don't use all the oxygen we breath in anyway. Usually the limit is getting rid of CO2, and that's usually limited by air flow.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 am

stuward wrote:You need to learn to breath during the exrcise, in through the nose, out quickly through the mouth during the exertion stage of the lift.
I thought this only applies to people who have hypertension or other internal pressure related illnesses? While for the general healthy population, from what I read there is no recommended specific breathing pattern, just breathe naturally (i.e. holding breath in the exertion phase).

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:25 am

Paperclip wrote:
stuward wrote:You need to learn to breath during the exrcise, in through the nose, out quickly through the mouth during the exertion stage of the lift.
I thought this only applies to people who have hypertension or other internal pressure related illnesses? While for the general healthy population, from what I read there is no recommended specific breathing pattern, just breathe naturally (i.e. holding breath in the exertion phase).
This is a way of getting more air in while your lifting, more for metabolic workouts. Max attempts are different.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:46 am

stuward wrote: This is a way of getting more air in while your lifting, more for metabolic workouts. Max attempts are different.
Thanks for clarifying!

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:52 am

I feel like ever since Ive adapted a good breathing pattern, all my worouts flow so much better. Even if tis somthing like punching a bag , I always breath out fast little bursts on each punch and I feel that lets me go on a lot longer than if I were to breath normally. In fact, even if Im going to class and have to take a flight of stairs, I tend to go up them quick and breath out on each one. I dont know if its just a mind thing or actually a good reaction in the body, but I feel so much more balanced when I do this. So to answer your question, you need to adapt a proper breathing technique like jungle doc said, you need to exert your breathe at your bodies exerrting points.