The Keys to Upper Body Injury Prevention and Strength

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Proper Knob

The Keys to Upper Body Injury Prevention and Strength

Post by Proper Knob » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:14 am

Great article from Mike Robertson on elitefts. Title says it all.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/r ... unctional/

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

I tried this stuff out, because I have been stiff and sore lately, with those pains that come and go in different areas. I know I have been needing to start doing some soft tissue work for some time now too.

Well I ran through most of the stuff on there and it really does make you feel a lot better. I feel so loose and relaxed now, and I got my range of motion back to normal too.

I need to find something like this for lower body too.

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Velcropop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Mike Robertson said he will consider developing a lower body series. I, for one, dearly hope he does - I haven't had any upper-body/shoulder injuries but this stuff is great! Really loosens me up and helping with my concerns about having inflexible shoulders.

Cheers PK.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 am

something I started doing a few weeks ago is the Dieselcrew 5 minute shoulder warm up. Do it before upper body days and it's great! My shoulders are the best they've felt in years.

teafan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by teafan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:45 am

Can anyone summarise the rotator cuff/shoulder strengthening excercise for me? I want to have a go at it this lunchtime and our web filter is preventing me from watching the video! (Im at work)

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:20 am

teafan wrote:Can anyone summarise the rotator cuff/shoulder strengthening excercise for me? I want to have a go at it this lunchtime and our web filter is preventing me from watching the video! (Im at work)
Sit on a bench, side on (not on the end of it). Bring one foot up on the bench. Keep the other foot on the floor. Sit your elbow on your knee (if you're left leg is up, then your left knee is up, and you put your left elbow on your left knee). Keep the chest up. Rotate DB up and down, controlled tempo.

Hope that makes sense.

KPj

teafan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by teafan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:01 am

Superb - still one question:

Literally rotate the dumbell like you were using a key to unlock a door? So the "palm side" of your forearm face the floor then is rotated to the side/slightly upwards?

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:09 am

teafan wrote:Superb - still one question:

Literally rotate the dumbell like you were using a key to unlock a door? So the "palm side" of your forearm face the floor then is rotated to the side/slightly upwards?
Your hand starts downwards, with your knuckles almost pointing at the floor - if you get into position, put a DB in your hands, you'll naturally get in to the starting position. Your lower arm//upper arm/elbow will be about 90 degrees. You then rotator your hand up so that your knuckles are now pointing to the ceiling. You'll pretty much be in the "arm wrestling" position at the top. If that makes sense?

KPj

teafan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by teafan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:11 am

Perfect - thanks!

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:32 am

Hmmm, I wish I read articles like this but it doesn't affect me (yet). I sort of know the day will come and I'll be kicking myself but.. I dunno too relaxed and taking life as it comes has it draw backs no and again. Not for now though :smile: