Belly Fat Increasing.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:32 am

Well, the more that the average American diet has shifted to low fat (and defacto, higher carb) the worse the obesity epidemic has become. No, carbs aren't evil. But their dominance in the American diet is a big factor in the obesity of the country. They aren't just a source of calories, ah err, energy. They are energy plus the stimulus to store fat.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:36 am

Jungledoc wrote:Well, the more that the average American diet has shifted to low fat (and defacto, higher carb) the worse the obesity epidemic has become. No, carbs aren't evil. But their dominance in the American diet is a big factor in the obesity of the country. They aren't just a source of calories, ah err, energy. They are energy plus the stimulus to store fat.
Correlation isn't necessarily causation, though.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:54 am

NightFaLL wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:Well, the more that the average American diet has shifted to low fat (and defacto, higher carb) the worse the obesity epidemic has become. No, carbs aren't evil. But their dominance in the American diet is a big factor in the obesity of the country. They aren't just a source of calories, ah err, energy. They are energy plus the stimulus to store fat.
Correlation isn't necessarily causation, though.
True. But it makes me want to ask the American people, "How's that working for you?" Lowering the fat hasn't lowered the obesity.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 am

but I would say that is more just that people make terrible food choices, low fat or not. I wouldn't go as far as to blame a single macronutrient, more just the dumbasses that eat loads of crap and then can't understand why they're so wobbly

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:03 pm

robertscott wrote:but I would say that is more just that people make terrible food choices, low fat or not. I wouldn't go as far as to blame a single macronutrient, more just the dumbasses that eat loads of crap and then can't understand why they're so wobbly
Not many people will eat 8 pieces of fruit each day. But many will eat two pieces of pie - the same number of calories as the fruit - without thinking twice. For most overweight people, food choices and portion sizes are 95% of the reason for their weight issues

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:40 am

robertscott wrote:but I would say that is more just that people make terrible food choices, low fat or not. I wouldn't go as far as to blame a single macronutrient, more just the dumbasses that eat loads of crap and then can't understand why they're so wobbly
What constitutes "crap" though? Most people have no concept of that because of all the propaganda out there.

Not to mention all the things that are not crap, but not good in a particular situation. Person A with genetics A, situation A, activity level A, goals A, may need something very different than Person B, with all things B.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:40 am

Ironman wrote:
What constitutes "crap" though? Most people have no concept of that because of all the propaganda out there.

Not to mention all the things that are not crap, but not good in a particular situation. Person A with genetics A, situation A, activity level A, goals A, may need something very different than Person B, with all things B.
Most people can recognize a donut as crap but the eat it anyway.

I remember when I started out 10+ years ago. Dr. Mercola put out a list of the 5 worst foods. I remember donuts, pop, deep fried fish, french fries and obviously there was one more. It's not so much that these were bad for you but they were so widely consumed as well. I started by cutting out those foods. That took me half way. I dropped weight immediately and my health improved. Then I moved towards no-grain>zone>paleo and improvements have continued.

I know you're talking about the Nutri-grain bars, Special K, snack yogurts, and other crap items that are marketed as health foods.

My point is that everyone can start with the obvious and then as their knowledge and understanding grows, they can refine what they eat. Marketers will always be looking for an advantage to sell their products. This is just one way they take advantage of consumer uncertainty. It's up to us to point out steps people can take quickly and then steps to improve. We're always going to be a tiny voice simply because of the resources the marketers put behind their message. On the other hand I do feel some satisfaction when I see $50M fines against companies like Dannon.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Also do not underestimate the ability for human beings to irrationally self destruct. What I mean is some folks would rather be fat, or at least, would rather not have anyone expect anything out of them. But they don't want to be perceived as complete losers who dont care about their demise. Buying "low fat" yogurt and rice cakes makes them for the moment feel they are giving healthy living a chance. (or will be perceived as doing so at least)
Generally, you are what you want to be

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 am

stuward wrote:
Ironman wrote:

Most people can recognize a donut as crap but the eat it anyway.

I remember when I started out 10+ years ago. Dr. Mercola put out a list of the 5 worst foods. I remember donuts, pop, deep fried fish, french fries and obviously there was one more. It's not so much that these were bad for you but they were so widely consumed as well. I started by cutting out those foods. That took me half way. I dropped weight immediately and my health improved. Then I moved towards no-grain>zone>paleo and improvements have continued.

I know you're talking about the Nutri-grain bars, Special K, snack yogurts, and other crap items that are marketed as health foods.

My point is that everyone can start with the obvious and then as their knowledge and understanding grows, they can refine what they eat. Marketers will always be looking for an advantage to sell their products. This is just one way they take advantage of consumer uncertainty. It's up to us to point out steps people can take quickly and then steps to improve. We're always going to be a tiny voice simply because of the resources the marketers put behind their message. On the other hand I do feel some satisfaction when I see $50M fines against companies like Dannon.
Yea, that's true. I've known multiple people who lost a few pounds just switching to diet soda. I also like it when companies get sued for misleading people.