Looking for power/plyometric "pull" exercises

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:19 am

Jungledoc wrote:Just askin. Why would someone who is actually training the O lifts do high pulls? Why not just do cleans? Wouldn't that give the same training effect, plus practice technique?
I would like to have a go at this just to see if I need corrected (don't hold back if i do!). I've been working my "clean" technique recently and still trying to get by head around it.

Anyway I've come to the conclusion that high pulls and jump shrugs could be crucial for learning to clean properly. I think this portion of the pull sets the bar path up perfectly which then sets you up perfectly for the catch.

What I've found when practicing (i've been doing hang cleans), is that sometimes the bar drifts a little infront of you meaning you need to fall forward a little whilst getting under for the catch. High pulls seem good for teaching you to keep the bar close to the body. I think about dragging the bar up my belly. I've found when I start with a good "high pull" then the rest of the clean feels amazing.

I also found it awkward getting a good "hip snap" and good "shrug" at the same time and high pulls seem to teach this.

Correct me if that makes no sense. For me i've just found that where I go "wrong" in the clean seems to be the "high pull" portion of the lift.

I've not really done jump shrugs but I think it would be the same idea.

KPj

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 am

Hmm it seems that I use the terms differently than you guys. For me:

high pull -> snatch grip, bar to the chest
low pull -> clean grip, bar to the navel

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 am

Paperclip wrote:Hmm it seems that I use the terms differently than you guys. For me:

high pull -> snatch grip, bar to the chest
low pull -> clean grip, bar to the navel
I'm really not that well read on O-lift terminology so don't take what I say too seriously....

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 am

Haffy13 wrote:I do a lot of olympic lifting and high pulls are definently included. I'm looking for something that is more involved in the upper body than just shrugging. I definently wouldn't want to use the motion like an upright row just because that could contribute to some bad habits.

I also understand that the Pendlay Row is done explosively, but it's still more of a strength lift, at least how I'm planning to use it. I'm looking for something more like a plyometric move. Something that isn't goin to end with a bar being stopped by my chest.
if you can't do clap push ups try doing them on an incline, makes it a lot easier

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:20 pm

KPJ, you've got it right. The hip snap and jump shrug are what puts an upward momentum on the bar. Probably won't get too high, the heavier the weight, and once you pop it, dive under the bar as quickly as possible. I haven't really kept up with all the models , but one of the more popular ones over here was to train both the clean and snatch in two separate portions. First you would train from floor to knees, then floor to knees, plus scoop (this puts you in the power position, knees slightly rebent, trunk closer to vertical, ready for jump shrug), and finally from floor,scoop, and jumpshrug to full extension. Separately, you would be doing a drill teaching the catch, You get a bar get into full extension, and race under it into a split or front squat. Then you keep practicing, from increasingly lower points. Next would be from the power position, then downward to to knee level (which brings the scoop/reflex action into the mix). And after some time you should be able to combine the bottom up with the top down and be doing full cleans/snatchs with good hip snap. High/low pulls are used as assistance to provide an overload at a percentage over your 1 RM snatch or clean.
Tim

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 pm

I can do clapping push-ups...we're talking about pull movements.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:28 am

All about the pendlay rows.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 am

Thanks Tim! That's just what I was hoping for. Feel i'm really starting to "get" the movement. I've not done much on the Snatch but plan to now as i'm really enjoying it. I'm really doing the hang clean properly with light weight because it's one of the few things I can do right now with a messed up hamstring/hip but, it's starting to feel great. I'm going to break it up even more and practice what you've suggested. I started messing around with just a bar and going up to 90lbs, just trying to "get" the technique. I done them again lastnight and noticed that 135lbs felt like 90lbs. So i'm excited to see what happens if I really nail down the technique, not even thinking about load. Then when i'm good for it, start increasing load gradually and see what I can do.

KPj

p.s the more I practice the Clean, the more I laugh to myself at how we were "taught" the Clean in the first PT course I done (for "Gym Instructor"). To give an idea, they never even taught us how to DL properly yet, tried to teach us to Clean from the floor. Funny looking back at it..