do you do biceps?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:50 am

I don't do any isolation work. Years ago when I weighed only 140 my arms were smaller than girls arms, so I did some curls back then. But stopped ever since I started training consistantly. It's kinda funny, my arms are soo small compared to my torso, maybe I should do some arm isolation work.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
robertscott wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:I used to do them. But the girls paid so much attention to me that it got to be embarrassing, and my wife was getting annoyed, so I have cut them out.
at least your massive bi's take some of the focus off that hideous face of yours.

Bwahahahaha
Hmmm. If you weren't on the opposite side of the world, I'd come over there and show you hideous! :mad:
I'm safe in my scottish fortress of solitude

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Certain muscles will get bigger when you start off doing purely compounds - but at some point, those compounds aren't enough to illicit growth.

If you're doing this for aesthetic reasons, isolation work is a must at some point.

bam

Post by bam » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:38 pm

NightFaLL wrote:Certain muscles will get bigger when you start off doing purely compounds - but at some point, those compounds aren't enough to illicit growth.

If you're doing this for aesthetic reasons, isolation work is a must at some point.
Do gymnasts do isolation work?

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 pm

bam wrote:
NightFaLL wrote:Certain muscles will get bigger when you start off doing purely compounds - but at some point, those compounds aren't enough to illicit growth.

That's a pretty horrible comparison considering it's comparing apples to oranges.

However, even comparing to gymnasts, they don't have physiques any better than a typical college kid.

bam

Post by bam » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm

NightFaLL wrote:
bam wrote:

That's a pretty horrible comparison considering it's comparing apples to oranges.

However, even comparing to gymnasts, they don't have physiques any better than a typical college kid.

Those gymnasts are college kids. I guess aesthetics is subjective.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Agreed, pleasing aesthetics are different from person to person - I'm just assuming most people would want to be larger than them, as they don't really look like they weight train - they're just lean.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 pm

bam wrote:Those gymnasts are college kids. I guess aesthetics is subjective.
Those two gymnasts probably make out like bandits with the girls at their school. Most women prefer their kind of look - although the football players at the school aren't hurting for female attention, either.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 pm

To answer the question about going 60%.... ya... not going so well planned considering I havent started it :( I have a serious ocd with rest and too much always hurts my mind. I dont know why. So Im going to have to go about resting some other ways because the idea of going easy for a week is actually pretty hard for me :( To top it all off I did an intense leg workout today with 5 X 5 heavy squats followed by a 20 rep set with 4 sets on leg extensions a few sets on leg curls with 4 sets of stair lunges while holding weights. Thats not even the end of my day to tell you the truth as right now, IM literally running stairs and this was basically part of my few minutes of rest before going at it again.... Im doing full running (running every step) to hopping (hop every step up) and explosive jumps ( jumping to the 3rd and 4th steps for a few reps) Ya so I dont know if this is a mental thing or something but even my friends and brother sometimes notice that I dont sit still. I dont know why, but I love doing something athletic and challenging. So long story short... rest week has not come yet.. thanks for asking though...

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:27 am

:eek: "typical college kids" across the pond look far different than typical college kids over here.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 am

KPj wrote::eek: "typical college kids" across the pond look far different than typical college kids over here.
that is so true!

And I think gymnast look pretty awesome, especially the guys that do the rings

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:00 am

KPj wrote::eek: "typical college kids" across the pond look far different than typical college kids over here.
I know lol - their like my target, not what id be like lean :)

I've seen some psycho schools in the US on youtube etc, gyms with 100k of equipment with plenty of strong staff at hand, ours are a room with an angry PE repressed mental issues teacher telling fatties to run :)

I was going to say "you should come and see what a PE class of 14/15 year olds in the UK look like" then I thought... maybe not :wink:

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:08 am

I think gymnasts are getting enough volume of arm work that lots of direct biceps work isn't going to help them much in their sport.

But you never know - find out who those guys are, find their Facebook, and ask them if they needed to include curls.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:26 am

RobertB wrote:
I know lol - their like my target, not what id be like lean :)

I've seen some psycho schools in the US on youtube etc, gyms with 100k of equipment with plenty of strong staff at hand, ours are a room with an angry PE repressed mental issues teacher telling fatties to run :)

I was going to say "you should come and see what a PE class of 14/15 year olds in the UK look like" then I thought... maybe not :wink:
Yeh, the PE classes over here are comical! Almost as much as the techniques and equipement availalbe. What's interesting in terms of this thread is the major difference is "lifting weights". To me, it's blatantly obvious those gymnasts lift and I would of made that call whether I knew they were gymnasts or not. I think some BB's get as much of a bad attitude towards non-BB's as non BB's tend to have towards them i.e. "he's big so he must be on the gear". On the flipside you have, "he's under -insert random b/w - so he doesn't lift". It's all just opinions though, everyone has one.

It really is apples and oranges. If your training is 100% directed towards a sport then looks are just a side effect of that, not a focus. Asking most athletes about aesthetics is like asking a bodybuilder what main movements he uses to improve his Snatch. To quote Kevin Bridges, I think you would be looked at as if you just "took a sh*t in his kettle".

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 am

yeah I think the difference is American schools play a lot more sports where weight is improtant, like wrestling and American football (yes, I have to put the word "American" in there or else the rest of the planet think i'm talking about what you yanks consider to be soccer...).

And I like that Kevin Bridges quote. My mate has a similar saying, when he does something wrong he says "I pissed on my chips there"