Squats or Deadlifts for in-season

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Bacchus1979 wrote:
Football players are too beaten up from the game to crawl out of bed on Monday, much less do a heavy workout. By the time they recover from the beating, it's mid week - and time to prepare for the next game
Interesting comment - one of the reason I had thought about programming my heavy work on the Sunday after matches was because I remembered DeFranco had recommended this as the best time for it. I know t makes for a rough work-out, but I am interested to hear why you disagree.
I meant American football, not rugby. Most NFL teams give their players the day after the game off from training. And no NFL team does any type of player training immediately after the game itself - they're too busy tending to player injuries. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Bacchus1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bacchus1979 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Stephen, sorry if I wasn't clear - De Franco recommended that for football players. Because of the lack of (quality) material out there for rugby I tend to look at a lot of material that is out there for football players and tweak it. 80 minutes of rugby will put a hell of a beating on you, so the morning afer is pretty similar - though i haven't played football since high-school, so i am sure I used to bounce back a bit better than I can now. :lol:

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:16 pm

I herd from Tommy Suggs, that they had guys training once a week, in season. Again this is Football.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Bacchus1979 wrote:Stephen, sorry if I wasn't clear - De Franco recommended that for football players. Because of the lack of (quality) material out there for rugby I tend to look at a lot of material that is out there for football players and tweak it. 80 minutes of rugby will put a hell of a beating on you, so the morning afer is pretty similar - though i haven't played football since high-school, so i am sure I used to bounce back a bit better than I can now. :lol:
He knows a lot more about this stuff that I do, so I'll be quiet. I just have bad memories of trying to squat after running a 10K. :frown:

Bacchus1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bacchus1979 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 am

I know motivating to squat the day after rugby is going to me really tough, and actually doing it will suck even more. But then i am also sick of losing all the gains I make every season, so I think I will have to have a go at it. I hope it doesn't kill me!
[/quote]

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:30 pm

[quote="Kenny Croxdale] it's not the same.
Kenny Croxdale[/quote]

I agree. Maybe I mistyped it. I like adding in the trap bar because it (like a deadlift) minimalizes the eccentric, but isn't as difficult to recover from.