When to wear a belt?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

bjwuk
Rookie
Rookie

When to wear a belt?

Post by bjwuk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:30 am

I'm going to buy a weightifting belt as I'm starting to lift reasonable weight on back exercises. I was wondering if people here only wear belts on the big lifts like deadlifts, all the time or never?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:28 am

I don't wear a belt. In my opinion, unless you compete there is no reason to wear a belt. If you do compete, you need to practice with the same equipment your competitors will be using so you have the same advantage.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 am

I only use them for my working sets of squats and DL.

bam

Post by bam » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:25 pm

I don't wear a belt.
But here's an article I read awhile back when I had the same question....
The Proper Use of Belts During Weight Training

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 am

I haven't worn one, but I'm thinking about trying it, as I've been having trouble with back soreness lately.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:26 am

That article is based on some out dated information - The theory that increased intra-abdominal pressure leads to less stress on the lower back. In actual fact may be the opposite but at the very least, it's not an accurate way to determine the forces on the spine. I only mention that because this is really why it was thought to be "safer" to use a belt. Some research shows an increase in Intra-abdominal pressure will cause more stress on the lower back, which btw isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Most people wear them as a fashion accessory, though, and actually get no benefit from them at all, even though they're wearing them. It's strange. If you can wear the thing between exercises or even sets then it's not on tight enough*

The only real safety aspect to belts is there seems to be less chance "buckling" under a heavy load.

From personal experience, I would use them for loads of 3RM or more. However, i've never got round to buying a belt, and this is the only reason I don't typically use them for heavy sets. One of my training partners has one though and I use his sometimes. So, a couple of points from my own personal experience,

They help you lift more, especially in the squat. I actually love them for squatting, but purely because it makes me feel much stronger coming out of the hole due mostly to the recoil you get from it. You also get more stable with them if you make them tight AND push your belly against it. You can get tighter than you would ever get without one. Hence, they help you lift more weight.

I actually don't like them for deadlifting. However i've not used one enough and probably need to get used to it. With the belt on it makes me "want" to round my back. I think when DL'ing with a belt, you get most out of the belt with a rounded back. Maybe that's why, but I don't know, really. I really need to give it more of a chance before judging, though.

*They can be good for teaching you to brace and use your abs properly. Wear them a notch loose but when lifting make sure your belly is pushing against it. However, most people aren't wearing them loose for this reason....

KPj

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 am

Kpj
*They can be good for teaching you to brace and use your abs properly. Wear them a notch loose but when lifting make sure your belly is pushing against it. However, most people aren't wearing them loose for this reason....
I started using the belt for this purpose, just as a reminder.

I also use it occasionally on Heavy squats or Deadlifts when my back is a little sore, its more of a crutch (probably more mentally than physically) than a necessity.