The Press

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Higgy
Rookie
Rookie

The Press

Post by Higgy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:22 pm

When doing the press, I notice that I do not lower the bar all the way to my chest. I only lower the bar so that the top part of the bar is below my chin. My question then, is this cheating? I have seen many people who press up when the bar barely clears their eye brows. For me, its just more comfortable. Thanks in advance.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:57 pm

You're going to hear A LOT of different opinions on this.

If I'm doing push press, or something with the clean and jerk, I go from the where the bar would rest on my shoulders. If I'm doing a MP/OHP, seated or standing I will go down to the middle of my neck and press back up. Only time I will go all the way down is if I need to take a few breaths.

I look at this as one of those things like the BP. Some people go all the way down to where the bar touches their chest, other people go to 1-2 inches above, some do half reps.

EDIT

I actually paid attention to where I stop today while doing seated MP and I go right back down to the starting point, right at the base of my neck.
Last edited by xshawnxearthx on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 am

I take it down to the clavicles.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:46 am

Yes it is cheating. Do what Doc said.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:53 am

Yep, definitely clavicles. Every rep, all the way down.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:53 am

This is the way to overhead press:
http://doubleyourgains.com/how-to-overhead-press

Some people do strong range partial reps of various exercises, some times because they want to stroke the ego, sometimes because they buy into Power factor training or other such nonsense. Partial reps are a valid way to break through sticking points but you have to be aware of when you need to use this technique. Most of your lifting should be full range of motion.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:30 pm

lol.

I bring it down to my eyes, nose or chin depending on how I feel.

Down to my clavicles is uncomfortable and I have to crank my giant head and neck to not knock myself out.

I don't feel like I'm cheating at all. My shoulders are growing, and I'm not in competition with anyone but myself.

But whatever really. It is going to be goal dependent.

EDIT:

I have super long arms, so my "short cheater" ROM is longer than most people's full ROM.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm

I always lower the barbell to my upper chest.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:44 pm

When I was in competition, doing the C and P, I had to take it off the clavicles. That said, however, I too, have long arms, and like Eric, I train from whichever point I feel comfortable from.
Tim

Higgy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Higgy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 pm

I to have long arms and it is more comfortable for me to not go down all the way.

I think all us long arm and leg people need to stick together. I am tired of short limb people telling me about ROM when they only move the weights half the distance that me and my long limb brothers lift. Raise those freakishly long arms in the air with pride. If it was not for us then who would reach the stuff off the top shelf? No one I tell you, and don't talk to me about step ladders or stools.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:27 pm

Higgy wrote:I to have long arms and it is more comfortable for me to not go down all the way.

I think all us long arm and leg people need to stick together. I am tired of short limb people telling me about ROM when they only move the weights half the distance that me and my long limb brothers lift. Raise those freakishly long arms in the air with pride. If it was not for us then who would reach the stuff off the top shelf? No one I tell you, and don't talk to me about step ladders or stools.
LMAO

A lot of my problem is once I get to nose/chin level under load my front delts and "rotation" (best word I can use to describe) start to feel weird. I've read and heard too many horror stories to mess with my shoulder rotation. Too many...

i try and kiss the bar every rep, some times I'm a bit high. But this also allows me to keep the bar back some and hit my lateral delts and not 90% front delts while pressing, without going heavy on behind the head press, which is dangerous under load. I typically only go behind the head in the smith, because I don't have to worry about the bar floating back and discombobulating my shoulder..

teafan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by teafan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:14 am

discombobulating - lol... we were just talking about this word at work last night

Everyone should try and throw that into conversation at some point today...

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:25 am

I have long arms and have no trouble getting the bar down onto my clavicles. If you can't get the bar to your clavicles i would say it's a shoulder mobility issue.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:31 am

Proper Knob wrote:I have long arms and have no trouble getting the bar down onto my clavicles. If you can't get the bar to your clavicles i would say it's a shoulder mobility issue.
Yeah. My problem isn't getting the bar down, it's getting it up overhead that's the problem. :)

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:17 pm

"I have long arms and have no trouble getting the bar down onto my clavicles. If you can't get the bar to your clavicles i would say it's a shoulder mobility issue." - Proper Knob

Or maybe it's their grip.