getting my lilttle brother into bodybuilding

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:15 am

I've got a response for this but getting an error when posting. I have a feeling the Wizards are trying to shut me up :razz: or maybe trying to cut down the length of my posts (since this has posted, for whatever reason...)

KPj

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:25 am

nygmen dont give up im sorry for not agreeing with you at the time but my brother is truly lost in all forms of workouts. Starting strength is about the only thing that is simple but extremely effective. If I told him to do what he wants for a month, hed basically be doing curls, bench press, and military prese ever day . I apologize if i offended you

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:02 am

Starting strength is good for a beginning bodybuilder, because it gives you a good strength foundation. You are still going to get bigger all over too.

I think you should start with a basic full body routine, only 1 set per exercise. Then after a few months, you move on to starting strength. Then a MAX-OT, then GVT. You have to change your lifting protocol as you go along.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Iron man, right now hes doing been doing it for a few days already and he works out every other day with basic exercises. He does about 3 to 4 sets an exercise and he goes to a maximum of 10 reps usually. His form for some exercises are getting better and thats when Ill have him up the weight and lower the weights. I feel if we keep the weight light for the first week hell get the form right then he can start going heavy with better form. Tomorow is when I will start this and I suppose starting strength with 1 to 3 sets will be good for him for the next 3 weeks before he goes with the builder

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Ironman wrote:I think you should start with a basic full body routine, only 1 set per exercise. .
Why would you suggest this over a typical 3x5 SS type layout? To get more movements in in the hour?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:15 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Ironman wrote:I think you should start with a basic full body routine, only 1 set per exercise. .
Why would you suggest this over a typical 3x5 SS type layout? To get more movements in in the hour?
No, I think that because there was a study showing that doing more than one set did very little for beginners. You can and should train with more frequency as a beginner too. Unless you are doing something catastrophically wrong, a beginner will keep adding weight every single workout. You grow fast too.

I feel if we keep the weight light for the first week hell get the form right then he can start going heavy with better form.
Yep, that's the way to do it.