Milk

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Milk

Post by Paperclip » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:06 pm

I keep hearing that milk or even dairy products aren't really compatible with human gastrointestinal tract (don't know what that really means). What do you think of this? I myself seem to not have any problem with dairy based on how I perform on the toilet and have been drinking 2 liter of milk per day for some time.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Not everyone is so lucky. I don't have a problem but others in my family do. For most people with dairy problems, butter and cheese might be OK. It's not the fat that's the problem. It's usually either lactose or casein that causes the problem. Raw milk is usually better tolerated because it still includes the enzyme lactase which aids in digestion of lactose. This would suggest that the problem isn't really with milk, it's with pasteurization.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Isn't there a product that helps digest dairy products? I'm thinking it's called lactaid and is probably lactase. However, whenever I've looked for it, I have not seen it. So, I'm hoping that I didn't just make it up in my head.

Anyways, I typically don't have problems digesting it, but if I consume a lot of it I get the mad gas (particularly with my after workout milkshake....which is actually a legit huge milkshake with muscle milk added). That tends to be what does it to me since it's so much dairy at once.

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:12 am

As we grow older we have more difficulties with milk. I think that it is hereditary...

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:19 am

Yes, there are lactase products, one of which has the brand name "LactAid" which can be taken prior to the consumption of milk, or can be added to milk.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:39 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_allergy

Milk allergy is a food allergy, an adverse immune reaction to one or more of the proteins in cow's milk and/or the milk of other animals—proteins that are normally harmless to the non-allergic individual.

Milk allergy can cause anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening condition.

Milk allergy is a separate and distinct condition from lactose intolerance. (Lactose intolerance is considered the normal state for most adults on a worldwide scale and is not typically considered to be a disease condition.

Difference between milk allergy and lactose intolerance

Milk allergy is a food allergy, an adverse immune reaction to a food protein that is normally harmless to the non-allergic individual. Lactose intolerance is a non-allergic food sensitivity, and comes from a lack of production of the enzyme lactase, required to digest the predominant sugar in milk. Adverse effects of lactose intolerance generally occur after much higher levels of milk consumption than do adverse effects of milk allergy.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:03 am

If I don't show any symptom of milk allergy nor lactose intolerance, is it safe to say that milk isn't bad for me?

Drinking fresh milk is a really convenient way to boost my daily calorie (and macronutrient) intake.

Stefan 93

Post by Stefan 93 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 am

Of course it is now, but it can change in a couple of years...

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Paperclip wrote:If I don't show any symptom of milk allergy nor lactose intolerance, is it safe to say that milk isn't bad for me?
Yes.

Old-time strength athletes like Paul Anderson drank milk by the gallon each day. But it might not be such a good idea to be overly dependent on milk as a source of protein.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 pm

For a while I've been drinking gallons of milk and litres of cream, almost everyday. But I've recently started to get some stomach pains, only in the morning though, when I drink milk. But during the evening I can drink all I want with no problems. Is this a bad sign? I freakin love whole milk.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Jebus wrote:For a while I've been drinking gallons of milk and litres of cream, almost everyday. But I've recently started to get some stomach pains, only in the morning though, when I drink milk. But during the evening I can drink all I want with no problems. Is this a bad sign?.
It depends on the severity and frequency of the stomach pain. Any really sharp intestinal pain that occurs with any regularity should be checked out by a physician. It's most likely a cramp, but it could be something a lot worse.

soulblazer27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by soulblazer27 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:46 pm

i personally cant stand milk, its disgusting. never broken a bone in my life awe yeah!

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm allergic to dairy. I drink a Soy, Almond and Rice milk depending on my mood. Typically with my breakfast it will be Enriched Vanilla Rice Dream. Almond Breeze goes really well with Hershey's Syrup due to texture, and Silk Soy goes really well with Chocolate Soy powder.

I've lived without it for for 4-5 years now and I'm not sure I would drink it even if I could.

Stefan 93

Re: Milk

Post by Stefan 93 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Normal soy is bad for your fertility! Those milks and similar stuff are probably bad, too. Maybe even more?!

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: Milk

Post by hoosegow » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:45 pm

Stefan 93 wrote:Normal soy is bad for your fertility! Those milks and similar stuff are probably bad, too. Maybe even more?!
Where is your citation for this? How is soy bad for your fertility?