Question about cutting.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:07 pm

JoeB wrote:I always do a 1/2 hour of cardio after I lift. Is the intensity of the cardio more important than the duration?
Yes.

JoeB
Novice
Novice

Post by JoeB » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:19 am

I was looking at the ingredients of my 2% cheese singles and it has corn syrup solid listed. Should I get rid of this?

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:30 am

JoeB wrote:I was looking at the ingredients of my 2% cheese singles and it has corn syrup solid listed. Should I get rid of this?
Any time you have reduced fat anything, it usually means they've added sugar to compensate. Fat contains vitains that is usually lacking in modern diets like Vit A, D, E and K2. Fat is not evil. Those are the reason we always recommend full fat products. I don't like throwing food out and the slices you have at least have some protein so I'd just finish it up and buy real cheese next time.

JoeB
Novice
Novice

Post by JoeB » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:58 am

Is skim milk bad, also?

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:02 am

JoeB wrote:Is skim milk bad, also?
Yes, for the same reasons.

Some small inactive people may need to manage calorie intake quite closely and the difference between skim and whole milk may be significant to them. Personally, I would just drink less milk and make the milk I do drink the fattest I could find. I know I could incur the wrath of the calcium police, but I'm not a fan a dairy as a source of calcium.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 pm

I for one am glad you all have given me permission to eat the full fat stuff, especially Cabot Full Fat Greek Yogurt.

no, I'm not being paid by Cabot.

At 6' 3" there is room in my diet for plenty of good fats.

ps virgin Coconut Oil also rocks.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Just lay off the donuts.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 pm

stuward wrote:Just lay off the donuts.
:red:

JoeB
Novice
Novice

Post by JoeB » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Playing around with my diet today. New macro nutrients are 38%protein/34%carb/27%fat at 2030 cals. Carbs are coming from oats and fats from natural pb.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:26 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:I for one am glad you all have given me permission to eat the full fat stuff, especially Cabot Full Fat Greek Yogurt.

no, I'm not being paid by Cabot.

At 6' 3" there is room in my diet for plenty of good fats.

ps virgin Coconut Oil also rocks.
I haven't had the Greek yogurt, but I'm definitely a fan of Cabot cheese. They make an habanero cheese that is scorching hot, and very good. I've also had the Havarti, cheddar and others.

JoeB
Novice
Novice

Post by JoeB » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:11 am

I measured my waist this morning and I am down to 33" at 188lbs. I still have a roll of fat I can grab.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Sorry for not answering your question Joe I just ran through my "old" posts. I live with dear mummy-wummy-kins (... thats "Mom" in English :wink:) so I am spoiled rotten - my parents not only do the shopping for me but pay for it too. so I am spoiled in this regard and food cost is never a factor (within sensible boundaries, I'm sure they'd have a problem with [1 million dollars]/$14 steaks every night)

JoeB
Novice
Novice

Re:

Post by JoeB » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:44 pm

stuward wrote:
JoeB wrote:I was looking at the ingredients of my 2% cheese singles and it has corn syrup solid listed. Should I get rid of this?
Any time you have reduced fat anything, it usually means they've added sugar to compensate. Fat contains vitains that is usually lacking in modern diets like Vit A, D, E and K2. Fat is not evil. Those are the reason we always recommend full fat products. I don't like throwing food out and the slices you have at least have some protein so I'd just finish it up and buy real cheese next time.
How much saturated fat is ok to eat? I have been craving cheese, so I went out today and bought some kraft coby cheese which has 5 grams of saturated fat per serving. However, there is no added sugar so I think it is a lot better than the cheese slices I was buying.

stuward

Re: Question about cutting.

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:02 pm

In my opinion, you can eat unlimited saturated fats. You want to eliminate artificial fats.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Question about cutting.

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:38 am

JoeB wrote:Shouldn't the body use muscle for fuel before it started using up fat stores?
Joe,

The Fat Savings Account

Fat is your body's savings account. When you start to spend more money/calories than you have...your body's first choice is to take money/calories from your "Body Fat Savings Account".

Muscle For Locomotion

Muscle is used for running away from preditors and so that you can go out and kill something for dinner...stay alive.

Your body realized you need muscle to survive and will do what it can to perserve muscle.
[
I am down to 188lbs from 231lbs and I still have fat around my stomach. I am beginning to wonder if the weight that I have loss so far is just muscle mass. I have dropped 15lbs on my bench press and my pull ups have increased but everything else seems to be staying the same.
Losing Muscle and Strength

No matter how great your training program and diet are, you going to lose some muscle mass along the way. That means you going to lose strength. That is why there are weight classes in many sports.

Gaining Muscle Mass
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... nsulin.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Dr John Berardi (Nutitionist) noted:

"with normal insulin sensitivity, you might gain 1 lb of muscle for every 2 lbs of fat for a 1:2 ratio. With increased insulin sensitivity, you might gain 1 lb of muscle for every 1lb of fat or even better, 2 lbs of muscle for every 1 lb of fat."

That means no matter how great your exercise program and diet are, when you gain weight your going to gain body fat.

Losing Fat

The same thing occurs when you lose fat/weight. Your are going to lose some muscle along with fat. Under the best conditions, approximately 20% of your weight loss will be muscle mass.

10 lb Weight Losss Equals

Under optimal conditions that means you will lose 2 lbs of muscle mass and 8 lbs of fat.

Under the worst conditions, the percentage of muscle to fat loss shifts. That meaning you end up losing a lot more muscle mass...:(

Kenny Croxdale